Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can you sequence the ms 20 with the korg volca bass?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bassface78

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Can you sequence the ms 20 with the korg volca bass? Reply with quote

I was looking at sequencers online and I want something with more than 8 steps; ideally 16. I really like the doepfer but it costs almost 200 bucks more than my new ms20. Make Noise has an interesting sequencer called Rene which could so some wild stuff. It runs about 500 but I would need to build a little box for it since it is a eurorack module.

I was just reading about the Korg Volca Bass and it has 16 steps and it's only 149 usd. My question is how would I connect it to my ms20 to run sequences? Thanks in advance and if anyone has any other sequencers they would suggest please let me know! Smile

Rene Make noise sequencer module info and pic:

https://controlvoltage.net/make-noise-rene/dp/624
genshi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently purchased the MS-20 mini and the Doepfer Dark Time and I got to tell you, it's really a match made in heaven! If you can swing it, I would get the Doepfer. And you can run two synths from the Doepfer (I sometimes run both my MiniBrute and the MS-20 mini.)

Not sure the Volca stuff can run sequences to other instruments, I think only sync the clock (you can run the MS-20 and sync the clock of the Volcas from the Doepfer though!)

Here is my Doepfer/MS-20 setup:

Bassface78

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice! I would like the dark time definately but it is way more money than I have. Looks great with the synth though!
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that in theory, you could get the volca, mod it for a midi out (Pretty simple mod) & then sequence anything you want with it.

Having said that ,you do get what you pay for & where the volca might give you some nice hands free action with the ms20m it will be quite limited & there's no guarantee there will be no clocking issues. The dark time on the other hand..... Awesome.

There is another option though . Get an old electribe ea-1 or one of the other models. I have an ea-1 & it is great for sequencing the ms20m, much better than a volca & near the same price point. Highly recommended, check out ebay for a nice old used electribe.
chris-korg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I´ve now already 3 ways of sequencing my MS20mini thus giving me lots of flexibility:
- Dopefer Darktime via Midi
- Korg Monotribe (modded with Amazing machines miditribe) via Midi
- MidPal (mutable instruments) via Midi

The MidiPal is the cheapest equipment of those three - it´s MIDIs "swiss army knive" with tons of other functions beside sequencing. (I have already 5 of them)

Due to the very limited Midi-capabilities of MS20mini I´m now investigating its CV-side - I´ll keep ypu informed.
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inside the manual of the MS-20, there's a series of patching examples and one shows how to connect a guitar into the ESP section to generate CV OUT and TRIG OUT signals for controlling the MS-20. Using that example, all you really need to do is connect the Volca Bass sound output into the ESP section instead of a guitar. I actually connect my drum machines to it using this method to come up with weird sequences and modulation effects.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG MS20 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: