Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie Advice on PA900 (help ?)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa900/Pa3X Le
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monsterjazzlicks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:44 am    Post subject: Newbie Advice on PA900 (help ?) Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Just a quickie here for anyone.

i have spent an hour going thru random posts here on the Korg Forum, and videos on You Tube etc and there is a lot of info here. But i have some specifics please. i do apologise in advance if these have been answered elsewhere but i did try and find solutions, and also i am a total newbie here.

So, did the PA900 only come out this year ??

How does it compare to the PA800 (which i almost purchased a few months back not knowing anything about the PA900's existence) ?? i mean in terms of the Sounds/Samples/Styles ??

Does it have an extra USB STICK Port ??

i think the PA800 has a VOCODER within its TC HARMONIZER engine. Does the PA900 have the VOCODER ??

And is it like the PA800 ELITE (in that it has a Dual MP3 Player) ??

i would be very grateful for any advice.

Best,

Paul Seaman

Mackie SRM 350 (pair), Fender DeVille, Yamaha HS7 (pair), BeyerDynamic DT880 Headphones (250 Ohm).

Sibelius 7 / Cubase 9

Dell Inspiron 3737, Windows 10, 16GB RAM, 1.70gHz, 64-bit, Intel Core i3.
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie Advice on PA900 (help ?) Reply with quote

monsterjazzlicks wrote:
Hi guys,

Just a quickie here for anyone.

i have spent an hour going thru random posts here on the Korg Forum, and videos on You Tube etc and there is a lot of info here. But i have some specifics please. i do apologise in advance if these have been answered elsewhere but i did try and find solutions, and also i am a total newbie here.

How does it compare to the PA800 (which i almost purchased a few months back not knowing anything about the PA900's existence) ?? i mean in terms of the Sounds/Samples/Styles ??

i think the PA800 has a VOCODER within its TC HARMONIZER engine. Does the PA900 have the VOCODER ??

And is it like the PA800 ELITE (in that it has a Dual MP3 Player) ??

i would be very grateful for any advice.

Best,

Paul Seaman

Start here ...

http://www.korgpa.com/en/products/arrangers/pa900/pa900-information.html

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
monsterjazzlicks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoraldus,

Thanks a lot but i forgot to say i had already visited the official Korg site ta. i still need the following clarified because some of my questions are PA800/900 COMPARISON type questions. So ideally, might be answered by someone who has upgraded from one model to the other.

i ask because so many of the videos on You Tube are from the Far East location and so i wondered if it was released there last year and then in the West sometime later.

Obviously the latter will be somewhat more developed, but is it better and more prefered ??

ie. more USB Ports than the PA800 ?? And if so, is this a massive advantage ??

Like i Herbie Hancock / Stevie Wonder type VOCODER sound ?? Or is it purely a HARMONIZER ??

Thanks very much indeed,

Paul

Last edited by monsterjazzlicks on Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total
BillyHank

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monsterjazzlicks,

I have one of the first Pa900 to arrive in the USA and I got it early August this year. Korg arranger division is located in Italy, so the keyboard was likely released in Europe first, but I don't think much before it arrived here.

VOCODER is not mentioned in the manual and I don't believe the Pa900 has one - also, the harmonizer is 3 voice only - the Pa3X has a much better harmonizer, but sure it cost more too. I don't know about the Pa800.

The Pa900 has a single USB stick port and it is located on the face of the keyboard within easy reach. The second USB port on the back is for computer connection only.

I was Yamaha only keyboarder until the Pa900, so can not offer you any comparisons.

Bill H
monsterjazzlicks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Billy,

i saw and read lots of your many posts yesterday before posting my own questions today.

So the PA900 was released earlier THIS year.

Ok, maybe i got it wrong about the onboard VOCODER on the PA800. i must have mis-read it somewhere.

Quote:
Up to 3 realistic voices are available and can be controlled by the keyboard, or by MIDI events.

So does this mean that you can only play THREE NOTES maximum whilst in this mode ??

What would you use (store) on the front panel USB stick please ?? Extra sounds, songs, rhythms ????

Thanks a lot !!

Paul

Last edited by monsterjazzlicks on Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total
BillyHank

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The three realistic voices is referring to the number of added voices you get from the harmonizer feature. The Pa3X adds more voices - at least 4, but it may do more - I just don't know - and, I'm pretty sure the Pa3X has the VOCODER too. The Pa3X is the top of the line tho.

You use the USB stick to save your work ( songs, styles, sounds, etc.) or load in new stuff. The Pa900 also has a slot for a microSD card and you can use it like a USB stick too.

Please keep in mind I am not a singer and just don't use the vocal harmony feature.

Bill G
monsterjazzlicks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ta Billy,

Regarding the quality/realism of the sounds/presets, are they more or less the same as on the PA800, or are they improved ??

For instance, maybe the BRASS sounds are much better, etc ??

Paul

Last edited by monsterjazzlicks on Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total
BillyHank

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably the wrong guy to ask about Brass sounds as I don't like any of the brass sounds on any brand of keyboard - they are thin, tinny, lack any body at all and nearly all of them have been recorded with vibrato, so you can't just play a full bodied trumpet with no vibrator.

Disclaimer: I am an old Trumpet player first, guitar player next and keyboard player last. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Bill G
monsterjazzlicks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy,

i was only using 'Brass' as a random example.

What i mean is, in general are the sounds on the PA900 worse than, the same as, or better than those on the PA800 please ??

And same question for Styles, ta ??

Cheers,

Paul

Last edited by monsterjazzlicks on Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
PraiseTheLord

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned a Pa2X (Pa800 equivalent) and the sounds on the Pa900 are better, even out of the onboard speakers!
monsterjazzlicks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PraiseTheLord wrote:
I owned a Pa2X (Pa800 equivalent) and the sounds on the Pa900 are better, even out of the onboard speakers!

Oh really !! Thanks Graham, thats very interesting to know.

As i say, i nearly bought a PA800 earlier this year off ebay (they still sell for around £1,000). My friend owned one and we used it once to create some Ballroom Dancing backing-tracks (for my duo) before we boarded a cruise for an Xmas/New Year contract. They results were EXCELLENT and i was particularly impressed with the Glenn Miller type Muted Brass Ens (much to Billy Hank's distaste i am sure !! ha ha).

And just to clarify please, the onboard MP3 Player is exactly the same as the (optional) PA800 ELITE DUAL MP3 player ??

Ta,

Paul

Last edited by monsterjazzlicks on Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
PraiseTheLord

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you say it's the same. I have no idea on that. I know it is a dual player, though.
monsterjazzlicks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PraiseTheLord wrote:
Why do you say it's the same. I have no idea on that. I know it is a dual player, though.

Oh, just because nobody disputed the comparison earlier in the thread.

From the KORG site :-

The improved built-in speaker system produces a strong, rich sound that's enhanced by standard features such as the TC Helicon Vocal Harmonizer, a Dual MP3 player & recorder, and the Dual Crossfade Sequencer.

Last edited by monsterjazzlicks on Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

monsterjazzlicks wrote:
PraiseTheLord wrote:

Oh, just because noboby disputed the comparison earlier in the thread.

From the KORG site :-

The improved built-in speaker system produces a strong, rich sound that's enhanced by standard features such as the TC Helicon Vocal Harmonizer, a Dual MP3 player & recorder, and the Dual Crossfade Sequencer.

When comparing the feature set between the two manuals it appears they share the same features.

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
monsterjazzlicks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoraldus wrote:
When comparing the feature set between the two manuals it appears they share the same features.

Thank you very much for confirming.

This is a feature which i would make a lot of considerable use of.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa900/Pa3X Le All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: