Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what top songs should every band know and play?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shaneblyth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: what top songs should every band know and play? Reply with quote

Im getting back into playing live in pubs and the like.
Looking for a list of songs to learn/play that are the bread and butter of the circuit for these days. Anyone got any ideas for a list or where to find one?
Thanks
Macbook Air 13"
Mainstage 3
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I can't beleive that nobody has swerved this yet.

First question. What kind of band re you in? Way up here in Canada we tend to pigeonhole bands into specific styles. There is absolutely no way you can play Prince and Metallica in the same band unless you don't want to get paid.

Unfortunately it seems that most bands in my neighbourhood want to play classic rock. Don't know why that is. It also depends on how good you are as a keyboard player and if you can cover the sounds. Deep Purple, Journey, Pink Floyd, some Van Halen if your guitarist is good enough, Genesis.

Bands like that seem to be the norm around here to cover.

Hope that helps.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
shaneblyth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremykeys wrote:
Wow! I can't beleive that nobody has swerved this yet.

First question. What kind of band re you in? Way up here in Canada we tend to pigeonhole bands into specific styles. There is absolutely no way you can play Prince and Metallica in the same band unless you don't want to get paid.

Unfortunately it seems that most bands in my neighbourhood want to play classic rock. Don't know why that is. It also depends on how good you are as a keyboard player and if you can cover the sounds. Deep Purple, Journey, Pink Floyd, some Van Halen if your guitarist is good enough, Genesis.

Bands like that seem to be the norm around here to cover.

Hope that helps.

Just your standard pub covers band. I ended up buying the the real rock book volume 1 and 2 so that gives you a wide variety of stuff I also got a Motown book from halleonard as well with all the top hits.. We also just listen to the top 40 and grab anything that's real popular and looks like it will last more than a few weeks before we all forget it
Macbook Air 13"
Mainstage 3
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it also depends on your singer. I play in a hard rock/metal band, a country rock band and a duo. Both bands play mostly our own songs although there are several covers thrown in as well.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well are you asking what every band should know and play, or which ones they have to know and play because it's required in this stifled era?

Suggestions:

Don't Stop Believing
Old Time Rock and Roll
Separate Ways
Shout
Born to be Wild
Fourplay/Long Time
Stealin'
Shout
Don't Dream It's Over
Tempted
In The Air Tonight
Layla
Won't Get Fooled Again

That should be a good start. One I would add just for the sheer fun of it is "Turn It On Again" by Genesis. Because it's got such as great pulse girls always try to dance to it, but it's in 13/8, so they always think they lose a beat somewhere. Playing it later in the evening after they're a little greased makes them think it's them, and as musicians, it's friggin' hilarious watching them trying to find the step after the turnaround...

After all, if you have to play a bunch of music you may not like, it's only fair you get to have some fun too, right?

Very Happy

..Joe
shaneblyth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks jape 13/8 sounds like fun lol
Macbook Air 13"
Mainstage 3
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Gerardi wrote:

That should be a good start. One I would add just for the sheer fun of it is "Turn It On Again" by Genesis. Because it's got such as great pulse girls always try to dance to it, but it's in 13/8, so they always think they lose a beat somewhere. Playing it later in the evening after they're a little greased makes them think it's them, and as musicians, it's friggin' hilarious watching them trying to find the step after the turnaround...

After all, if you have to play a bunch of music you may not like, it's only fair you get to have some fun too, right?

THAT is genius.

Aside from that, I only really play original music at the moment so I'm not sure that any covers should apply to 'every' band. If we do ever cover a song it will be entirely our own version of it.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K. If you liked that, you'll LOVE this:

Change the lyrics. But change them to be something stupid, sexual, or funny, but they have to fit syllable-for-syllable withing the lyric, and rhyme exactly with the original. You can't make a big deal about singing them, you just let them happen, and casually see if anyone in the audience notices. The majority won't, and what is fascinating is that those that do notice are overwhelmingly female, showing they they are the only ones that really listen to the music. A few Examples:

"Save my life/ I'm going down for the last time" becomes
Shave my wife...

"Aqualung my friend/ Don't you start away uneasy" becomes:
"Aqualung my friend/ The Jeffersons are George and Weezy"

Something to rhyme with the song "Venus..."
'Nuff said...

"Big Old Jet Airliner" becomes:
Big Old Wet Vagina"

"Jeremy Broke Wind..."

And so on.

Granted, it's a puerile, immature game, but it is quite fun. After you do it once, it becomes quite the competition to get them to stay subtle, but not so subtle that they're missed, and not so obvious that they're blatant. Where you put them also matters. "Shave my wife" works awesomely when you do it only on the last, acapella line, etc.

Yes, I gigged for far too many years. Very Happy

..Joe
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To name a few that would be very popular here in Ireland with live bands....

Bellamy Brothers – Let your Love Flow.
Eagles – Lying Eyes
Eagles - Take it Easy
Eric Clapton – Lay Down Sally
Queen – Crazy Little Think Called Love.
Pink Floyd – Another Brick In The Wall.
Smokie – Living Next Door To Alice.
Smokie – Oh Carol
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha I do this for work and the only two songs suggested so far I've ever played are Layla and Crazy Little Thing Called Love.

I guess we're more in the dance classics and modern corner (corporate parties and weddings), not sure how well that would go down in the average pub.

Just as general advice I would say play what you think will sound good with your band. If the drummer has terrible disco chops, don't do disco, if the singer can't really do rock as well as soul, don't make her rock too much etc.
Of course that's all a bit overstated and it can also be quite fun to make a song your own, but even then the same thing applies, really; play to your strengths. There are so many hits and every band thinks they're unique by doing something nobody else does, or that they have to play certain songs. I would start out by scouring old and new hitlists for songs you think will make you sound good, so that everything you put out kicks ass. People will usually sing and dance along to anything if it sounds good. We have 60 and 70 year olds dancing and losing their minds to "Titanium" and young people dancing Rock 'n' Roll to "Tutti Frutti". I really think the importance of song selection is overstated.

Of course, you do have to consider your setting, and they're may be a few that'll tank, but it'll take you at least a few gigs to realize a song isn't well received.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just for those who DON'T know when a song is sucking, watch the audience as they all head outside for a smoke! I've played with more than a few people who after a lousy song; usually one they chose is played; say, "Wow" we rocked them right out of their seats!"

Uh huh.

Oh. And before I forget, never, ever, under any reason say just as you are about to play a slow song, "Here's one for the ladies." If my wife is in the audience, she WILL throw her glass of Strongbow at your head. Even if it is full. She's got a good arm!
Women wanna RAWK!
button

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocking Blue - Venus
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good one!
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Dutch! Smile
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now there is something that I didn't know. Very cool!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Music All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: