Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MS20 mini signal out jack wobbly

View previous topic :: View next topic  
censustaker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject: MS20 mini signal out jack wobbly Reply with quote

I notice that signal out jack is kinda wobbly on my mini and was thinking about drilling a hole in the top or back panel and mounting on a 1/4" jack which is what I really need anyway. Am I just being paranoid? I've tried tightening the screw on the jack but it doesn't seem to want to tighten and I'm also paranoid of stripping the thread on the jack Smile I probably wouldnt be as paranoid if I didn't always have to use a 1/8->1/4 adapter all the time..
channel0

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi censustaker,
you may want to replace that adapter with a
1/8 male to 1/4 male cable to take some weight off the
1/8 output on the ms20 mini.
should save you some troubles Very Happy
Tascam US-144 Mk II, Alesis iO4
System : Win 8.1/Ubuntu Linux; i5-3470 quad core cpu@3.2 Ghz; 8Gb Ram
DAW : Presonus Studio One Free, Cubase 5.1
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things.
1. DON'T try tightening any of the faceplate nuts around the patch panel jack sockets on the ms20 mini. They are not real nuts & you will achieve nothing exept maybe breaking them.
2. A 1/8" to 1/4" jack adapter is a very bad idea & by using one you can expect your problem to happen. In fact it's most likely that your adapter is the direct cause of your loose jack.
The jack socket is pcb mounted ONLY & the nut look-a-like is a plastic aesthetic finishing trim.

Your 1/4" jack mod idea sounds like a good one if you are competent enough to do it. Good luck.
censustaker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea - I thought as much - i've been using a 1/4->1/8 cable as opposed to one of those little widget thingies (http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/577275469/Free-shipping-Adaptor-Mono-3-5mm-font-b-Mini-b-font-font-b-Jack-b-font.jpg)
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so good. Use a 1/8" to 1/4" jack cable & if you can find one you like, a right angled one is even better. Those adapters are ok the other way round, like 1/4" to 1/8" but not this way. Anyone using the same adapter is asking for trouble.

If you end up opening the case, maybe you could just fix the original. Only a suggestion though eh, take care & use you noggin (Head)
censustaker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My temporary solution, which might become permanent is to run a 1/8 cable to my effects pedal and run that to the amp Wink
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always use a cable which i made up myself. Very simple, some hi quality double insulated audio cable, 1/8" mono jack on one end, 1/4" jack on the other.
I run that straight through a vintage analogue delay most of the time but it's long enough to move the 1/4" end up to my mixer directly or wherever else i fancy.
Best to keep the end at the ms20m supported somehow to avoid the problem you have.

I did think it would be a good but simple idea to do a little mod. Remove the screw on the end panel nearest the main out (It's just around the corner) Then use some kind of either bent rigid wire or plastic clip or whatever sensibly works & fix it on with the screw again & then just use that to support the weight of the cable.
At the mo' i just tuck my cable in the groove at the top of the end panel so it holds the weight. That works as long as i don't knock it .The cable i have is a glove like fit in the groove.
censustaker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Mod might work well.. along with a hook to hold all them patch cables (which I find i'm not quite ambidextrous enough to use during a performance anyway..)
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technology aside , it's nuts & bolts stuff really. Just support those cables.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG MS20 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: