Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Integra7 still in your Arsenal?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Integra7 still in your Arsenal? Reply with quote

Curious for those of you who bought the integra 7 if you still use it and have it? I keep looking it but the price is still high, for me now, to go grab one but I do kind of want one. So now that you have played with it for awhile is it a keeper?
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, absolutely.
The Integra 7 is a long term keeper for me. It's jam packed with tons of quality sounds. Even the old SRX Expansion have their fair share of classic sounds and many of the real-world sounds from those old boards still sound very fresh and current.

The Integra 7 is a really good module.

Regards
Sharp.
DH56

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have mine and although it has been rarely used to date, I wouldn't think of selling it because of the sheer number of sounds it has available. I already have an XV-5080, but only have 4 SRX boards and as Sharp alluded to, some of those sounds and loops on certain SRX boards that I didn't have are real keepers. And then there are the very nice SN sounds to boot. I haven't used the Surround feature yet but I guess it is a nice feature to have just in case.

The 128 voice polyphony and certain other limitations may keep it from being the key centerpoint of a music studio, but for the price it still packs quite a punch and is a welcome addition and complement soundwise when mixing with other manufacturer's synths.

Two other synth modules that I felt deserve honorable mention because of the value add are the Fantom XR and the Triton-Rack. Fantom XR's have a ton of really useable sounds and usually sell for around 450-650 USD on ebay. The Triton-Rack on the other hand goes for ridiculously low prices these days considering its great sounds and enormous potential.

Best regards,
.:':.DH..:':.
KRONOS2-61 | OASYS 76 | Jupiter-80 | Integra-7 | V-Synth GT (2) | V-Synth XT | Fantom XR (2) |XV-5080 | Triton-Rack | JD990 (4) | Wavestation SR | 01R/W | JV-2080 | JV-1080 | Kurzweil K2500RS | Kurzweil K2000RS | Proteus 3 World | SC-88 | D-70 | MC-80 | TD-20 V-Drums | Korg Wavedrum | Roland Handsonic HPD-15 | Mackie SR32.4-VLZPRO | Mackie 1402-VLZ3 | Yamaha HS80M

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=948812
DennyC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DH56, very informative post. I am curious because you already own the Integra 7, why you would still keep the xv5080? My understanding is that everything on the xv and the srx boards are all on the Integra7.

Is the sound quality better on the xv? It just seems like duplication, which can be cool of course. Also, what is your feeling about the Motif module?

Thanks for your informative responses fellow members. Smile Smile Smile
DH56

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am curious because you already own the Integra 7, why you would still keep the xv5080? My understanding is that everything on the xv and the srx boards are all on the Integra7.

Good question Denny. I will definitely keep my 5080 along with the Integra-7 for the following reasons...the SR-JV expansion boards and the ability to import sample material. There are a few choice patches available on those SR-JV's that aren't available on the SRX's.

Now, you can no doubt see from my gear list that I also have a JV-1080 and a JV-2080 (which are also fully loaded with SR-JV boards) but the 5080 is just more versatile since it has more polyphony and supports stereo waveforms. Also, I have so many of the old JV card set patches and custom patches that would just be too much work to put into the I-7. I also have a CD ROM hooked up to the 5080 via SCSI and have the L-CDX-01 (Drums & Cymbals Vol.1 + Guitar & Bas Vol. 1), L-CDX-02 (Keyboards of the 60's & 70's Vol. 1 & Vol. 2) and L-CDX-03 (Orchestral Winds Vol. 1, Brass Sections Vol. 1, Super Sax Vol. 1, Solo Brass Vol 1) CD's which have some really useable sounds.

I guess the bottom line is that I almost never use any of my modules except for the I-7 in multi timbral mode, instead preferring to use my favourite patches from each with full EFX. Of course there is another key reason I am compelled to do this...MIDI channels! I only have 32 to play with and with the OASYS taking up 5 and the Jupiter taking 4 that only leaves a few open. I have all of my most used synths on MIDI 1 and put all of the rest on MIDI 2.

Funny you mention the Motif because I had thought about listing it too. The only reason I didn't is that it still commands some pretty high prices comparatively. I played a used ES at Guitar Center once and was impressed with a lot of the sounds, but they were still charging about $1100 for it and I instead went for the Fantom XR which I got for $699.

Best regards,
.:':.DH.:':.
KRONOS2-61 | OASYS 76 | Jupiter-80 | Integra-7 | V-Synth GT (2) | V-Synth XT | Fantom XR (2) |XV-5080 | Triton-Rack | JD990 (4) | Wavestation SR | 01R/W | JV-2080 | JV-1080 | Kurzweil K2500RS | Kurzweil K2000RS | Proteus 3 World | SC-88 | D-70 | MC-80 | TD-20 V-Drums | Korg Wavedrum | Roland Handsonic HPD-15 | Mackie SR32.4-VLZPRO | Mackie 1402-VLZ3 | Yamaha HS80M

Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll agree with you on the Motif. I have the original Motif-Rack, and while the sounds are good, it's and understatement to say that it's just not a user-friendly module, and there's far too many others out there that are that will do a lot of what it will a lot easier and for a lot less money. That's a lot of "lots" and it's gotten to the point that I've decided that module is going up on eBay when I get a minute- I've gotten a bee in my bonnet to get a Kawai K4. (Go figure!)

..Joe
Vlad_77

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really tried to connect with the Integra-7. The reason I wanted one was because it's impossible for me to cart around my Fantom X8 and XV-88 in the car. I had thought that some of the Fantom patches were in the Integra like UltimatGrand, but they aren't. For live work I play Kronos, Kurz PC3, V-Synth, and Jupiter 80. (Depending on the gig I'll throw in either my RADIAS or Motif ES rack). In my studio I use the Fantom and XV-88 quite heavily. So, my solution - which isn't going to be fun, is to sample what I want from these beasts.

And, for home use, the XV-5080 patches are available as free downloads and the XV-88 is an XV-3080 with keys - although why Roland never made the XV-88 a 5080 with keys remains a mystery to me and to the Sound on Sound reviewer. I know Integra-7 offers SuperNatural, but, I have that pretty well covered on the Jupiter 80, so for me, at the end of the day, the Integra-7 just didn't fill enough of a gap.

I've heard amazing things done with it of course, especially Sharp's Rocky theme, but, even though having all of the SRX cards in one module - and for cheaper than trying to buy them all separately - was attractive, it just wasn't enough for me to pull the trigger. Had Roland included some cool Fantom patches, I would have been all over the Integra-7.

Interestingly, the store where I demo'd the Integra-7 still hasn't sold a single unit, but, Kronoses, Nords, Kurzweils, and Yamahas sell like mad.

Maybe when its discounted in a year or so (hopefully) I'll snag one.
Current gear: Kronos, Jupiter 80, Kurzweil PC3,Roland Fantom X8, Roland XV-88 (yep, its old, but the ACTION is heaven and those XV-3080 sounds are still wonderful for me), Radias-R, Motif ES (yeah it's older but I love the guitars Wink )
DH56

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've gotten a bee in my bonnet to get a Kawai K4. (Go figure!)

I got a good chuckle when I read this one Joe for I was reminded of why we fell in love with certain sounds that never go out of style! Although I never owned one, Kawai's and Ensoniq's were a big part of my early years spent at my local music store. Are you going for the K4 keyboard or the module?

Just like Vlad's signature line...yeah, they may be old, but if they're still pumping out the sound, why part with them? Especially when they have those certain sounds that become part of your signature sound.

The old module I was always was quite impressed with but just couldn't afford at the time was the E-mu Morpheus. Those Z-Plane fliters could produce some pretty cool sounds. I don't see them very much on e-bay but I saw one a few months back but just wasn't in the market for a new module.

Cool stuff this synthesis bug that bites us all. Sound on sound...the stuff musical dreams are made of!

DennyC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great responses. DH56, what are your favorite srjv80 sounds that are not on the Integra 7? Smile Smile Smile
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DH56 wrote:
Are you going for the K4 keyboard or the module?

Keyboard. I want the effects.

Quote:
yeah, they may be old, but if they're still pumping out the sound, why part with them?

True. I still use and love my N1r, ($169 NIB from Sam's Ash on closeout when they were discontinued over 10 year ago!) and I just recently added an Alesis QSR to the rack because it is ridiculously cheap and offers a ton of very usable sounds.

..Joe
DennyC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attention...calling DH56, purveyor of interesting observations considering the xv5080 and some of the interesting and favored sounds of the srjv80 expansion boards. Smile Smile Smile
DH56

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there was more to consider here than meets the eye but here goes...

First, I have no shortage of the SR-JV boards and there is indeed a lot of duplication, but the Soundworld is all about maximum flexibility on that score...

JV-1080: 09-Session / 07-Super Sound Set / 05-World / 02-Orchestral

JV-2080: 14-Asia / 15-SFX / 10-Bass & Drums / 07-Super Sound Set / 09-Session / 05-World / 02-Orchestral / 01-Pop

XV-5080: 14-Asia / 13-Vocal Collection / 02-Orchestral / 16-Orchestral II

First, I employ the Windchimes 1 patch from the 02 Orchestral board a lot, and the Windchimes SRX patch is just no match as far as the sound that I want goes.

Also, when I look for some different bass sounds, the SR-JV80-10 Bass & Drums has some choice Marcus Miller, Abe Laboriel and John Pattitucci (I hope I got the spelling right!) basses that I use a lot.

Lastly, there are some lovely pad sounds from the Session and Super Sound Set boards that I just can't do without.

Namely, the pad sounds Atlantis 2, Perelandra, Plutonium, Nautilus, Metal Dreams (my all-time fave bowed guitar sound), Glass Clouds, Harmonicloud, Shining Veil and Ethereal JX from 09 Session.

Also Metal Sweep and Digi Sweep from 07-Super Sound Set.

I have never used SRX-01 Dynamic Drums and only used SRX-03 Studio SRX sparingly on the XV-5080, but having the full SR-JV80-13 Vocal Collection (a lot of which comes from Spectrasonics fabulous "Symphony of Voices" collection) is a must since the SRX-06 Complete Orchestra only contains a handful of those patches. Also, having the second Asia board along with the 2080 gives me the ability to employ and layer several Indian stringed sounds that I love like Tamboura, Sitar, Sarod and Santur at once.

I would shave to ay that the SRX-09 World Collection though is superior to the SR-JV80-05 World board. Even though I can't remember if I used one in the recording, my song "Journey to Jegonga" actually got its name from one the bell/gamelan sounds called Jegong.

So, even though I could streamline the Soundworld quite a bit with all of that duplication, I prefer to go the "more is better" approach and have the aforementioned maximum flexibilty. For example, I may employ Windchimes, Rainstick, Gong, Biwa, and various other bits of percussion from different modules in the same song.

Add in the 4 JD990's all equipped with SR-JV80-04 Vintage Synth boards and one of the Fantom XR's with SRX-09 and SRX-04 boards and I have more sounds than I can use at once, but that's a good "problem" to have (like having "too much" money!) Laughing

And then there's the Integra-7 with its myriad of sounds. Yes, a lot of it duplicates what I already had, but the fact that it contains all of the SRX boards that I didn't already own and the addition of the Super Natural sounds still made it a good buy.

As a parting note, it is probably pretty obvious that I love those "ethnic" instrument sounds and I have them in abundance on all of those expansions. But by far the best Tambura sound I have comes from the old E-mu Proteus 3 World module...what a beauty! Sounds Good

Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you that have the I-7 just curious as to if all the JV1080 stock factory rom and presets are in there?and some or all of the Vintage card rom

I have an aging 1080 with vintage card,it's been a workhorse for me I'm reluctant to sell it but would for something more modern with a few more bells and whistles added like the I7 if it contains the roland legacy,as there are some patches I created and factory sounds from the JV1080 and also other expansion boards I used to have installed in the JV,I would like to keep but have tried to emulate in the Fantom G due to lack of similar PCM have to result to sampling which is very time consuming.

If it does contain the JV stuff are they faithfully reproduced for those of you that have owned that module also,how do they stack up
DH56

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Integra contains all of the XV5080 waveforms and it has the same ROM presets so it covers the JV1080 territory plus much more. The JV1080 only has 3 PRESET banks + a memory card bank whereas the XV5080 has 7 PRESET banks. And like the 5080, the I-7 has 128 voice polyphony versus the 64 of the 1080.

The I-7 also contains the same additional JD990 waveforms as the 5080. The SRX board "Keyboards of the 60's and 70's" is listed to have all of the SR-JV80-04 Vintage Synth waveforms although I doubt that all 256 patches that are on the Vintage Synth board are there because it also includes waveforms and patches from several other expansion boards.

You should be able to faithfully reproduce all of your custom sounds as well since the 5080 sound engine on the I-7 is basically an evolved version of the JV2080.

You also have another option available...you can get XV5080's on e-bay for pretty low prices these days. The XV5080 has 4 SRJV-80 and 4 SRX expansion board slots and has the additional ability to import sample material from a CD-ROM SCSI port.

Whichever way you decide to go, happy music making! Sounds Good

DennyC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DH56, thanks so much for the detailed reply. It is much appreciated. Smile Smile Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: