Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mixer for Volca setup
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corundum

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Mixer for Volca setup Reply with quote

I'm buying a beats, bass, and keys but I'm new to groove boxes. I think I need a mixer. I plan to listen with headphones. Any recommendations on a suitable mixer ?

I have read they output in mono not stereo. Will a 4 channel behringer mixer, that has 2 stereo and 2 mono inputs work ok ? Or should I get one with at least 3 stereo inputs ? Should the Volca's headphone output split into a pair or a single plug feeding into the mixer ?

(Well reading a new thread, it looks like they output in dual mono. So I think it would be easier getting a mixer with at least 3 stereo inputs and using a headphone to L + R RCA stereo cable for each Volca.
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Behringer Micromix MX400 for all three Volcas, plus the Monotribe. You actually don't need any weird adapters or stereo cables to plug them into a mixer, just one of these cables for each unit:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000068O3F/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
honolulu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an Behringer XENYX 302USB

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/302USB.aspx
reactanceS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have a mixer, you can also make do with 2 mini jack y cables. 2 Volcas into one, and that y and the third Volca into the other. Then a mini to 1/4 adapter if you need to. Not ideal but quick and cheap.
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few cheap micro mixers out there, ebay should be cheap enough. They do add a bit of noise to the mix but it's ok for what you're describing.
chris-korg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Behringer RX 1602 - a little bit more expensive BUT works very well...

Chris
mouchon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Berhringer Xenyx 1002B. It's actually overkill in terms of inputs but I've split the volca outputs to 2 channels, allowing a little bit of stereo imaging by using the EQ and panning.

The xenyx 1002B allows operation by battery (2x 9V square batteries) so you can have a full battery-powered set-up
fant0mas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I´m actually also using the Behringer 1002 B.

I use my 3x Volcas each on their own (mono) channel on the mixer, then a stereo channel for my Electribe ES-1 sampler, and I´m using a (guitar-multiFX unit) V-Amp as a Send/Return effect on the mixer, so I can send all the channels to the same reverb/delay.

Also VERY useful with this mixer: you also have a monitor-send (which you could also "abuse" as a second FX-send! ), and if you plug in your headphones into the "MON" out (or an actual monitor box), you can actually pre-listen (cue mix) to the other inputs, even if the channel fader is turned to zero!

can highly recommend it - it´s not as noisy as some people want to make you believe, and especially for <100 Euros (new!), you can´t really go wrong.
dan3gerou5

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-Member wrote:
I use a Behringer Micromix MX400 for all three Volcas, plus the Monotribe. You actually don't need any weird adapters or stereo cables to plug them into a mixer, just one of these cables for each unit:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000068O3F/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also started off with this setup. I used mono to mono cables, and when I plug my earphones into the output, the sound only comes out of one can. Is there a way to fix this by using another cable? Like a stereo to mono or mono to stereo instead of mono to mono?

I do have a two chanel mixer where the inputs are L/R and I hooked up a Volca to that and the headphones work fine (using a 1/8 to stereo L/R cable).

The Micromix MX400 has 4 inputs all 1/4 and one output thats also 1/4. So i am trying to use the output on the micromix with a pair of earphones with the sound coming out of both ears, not just one. Can anyone shed a little light on this, Im not an expert on cables. Thanks in advance.
analoguekid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old Boss BX4, four channel stereo mini mixer seems to be doing ok, I use 3 mini stereo leads into it from the Volca Keys, Nintendo and R3 headphones outs and then the L/R out of the mixer to my pedal this then mixes the two signals and then on to my PC interface. If I cut the pedal out and listen via the headphones out of the mini mixer I get the signal in both ears Smile
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan3gerou5 wrote:
I also started off with this setup. I used mono to mono cables, and when I plug my earphones into the output, the sound only comes out of one can. Is there a way to fix this by using another cable? Like a stereo to mono or mono to stereo instead of mono to mono?

I do have a two chanel mixer where the inputs are L/R and I hooked up a Volca to that and the headphones work fine (using a 1/8 to stereo L/R cable).

The Micromix MX400 has 4 inputs all 1/4 and one output thats also 1/4. So i am trying to use the output on the micromix with a pair of earphones with the sound coming out of both ears, not just one. Can anyone shed a little light on this, Im not an expert on cables. Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately, the problem is actually the Micromix's output jack, not any of the cables. The output is a single mono signal as opposed to a double mono signal that produces sound on both the left and right channels.

Someone on Amazon mentions using either of these two adaptors on your headphones to fix the problem:

Hosa GPP-419 Female TS 1/4-Inch to Male TRS 1/4-Inch Adapter
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001JYSMV0/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk

Hosa GPM-103 3.5mm TRS to 1/4" TRS Adaptor
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000068O3T/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
Nany_09

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice post.
dan3gerou5

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-Member, solid info man thanks for the post.
elpiulas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 3 volcas and my mixer is the new Yamaha MG10XU, connected to my Alesis M1 monitors. Sounds fantastic.

More info for the Mixer:

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/products/mixers/mg_xu/lineup.jsp
requ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low-end solution here with 3 Volcas. The 'Belkin Rockstar', affordable, mobile, works fine

http://www.belkin.com/us/F8Z274/p/P-F8Z274/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: