Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OSAM January 2014

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract
View previous topic :: View next topic  
metallo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: OSAM January 2014 Reply with quote

My first entry.

This is a song just recorded, I used a bunch of equipment to record it (Korg Kronos, Roland V-Synth, EWDL Symphonic Orchestra Gold, Addictive Drums, iPad).

It's a sort of experiment, trying to mix orchestral stuff with electronic elements.

Any suggestion and feedback is welcome

CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The composition is great, I really like the hook. It's very classy/cinematic. You scceeded in your goal without the timbres sounding forced together. The choir, strings and piano are all very pretty with the rhythmic comb and triangle arp playing unobtrusively. Personally I feel like I'm sicking my head out of a train that's rushing through a vast green sward.

The low end of the mix is lacking. You could maybe kill the triangle arp completely on occasion. I do like how you rode the faders though. Something is ever so slightly amiss with the distorted lead at the end... Maybe too much reverb. Lastly the song could use a proper cadence to finish it off.
metallo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your comment.

Yes, I was thinking to remove or fade down the arp sound in some parts.
About the end part actually I will modify it, I have some other ideas how to go ahead and give a proper end Smile
Lguelpa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds absolutely awesome, very nice combination with the strings and the synths. Quite a catchy tune. like the arp. just needs a bit more on the low end. Love the synth solo at the end
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a little too busy for me. The actual instrumentation is mostly fine and the sounds are just incredible.

But it feels like an instrument demo track where you've tried to cram in every sound possible to me. It could also be a bank TV advert...

Actually, I really like the lead at the end. It's probably just a bit too loud, I can hear the rest of the track ducking when it comes in.

One thing I try to keep in mind when arranging such busy tracks is to try to assign one instrument to each octave at most, to avoid clashing. And be mindful that some sounds may be transposed such that they play in the same octave but actually sound their root or most prominent harmonic in a different one.

Where does the lead sound come from by the way?
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
metallo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for you feedback folks.

Xtrade, they are actually on different octave, the whole idea is to have an orchestral track with electronic inserts. It sounds busy maybe because it is busy, there are double bass strings, there are ensemble strings, there are brasses, there are choirs and of course there are synths and drums...it is actually very busy.
Maybe the mix has to be improved in order to make it to sound less messy? Smile

The lead comes from the kronos and is custom, I programmed by myself and is a sound I already programmed on the trinity. Smile
channel0

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: nice lead Reply with quote

you're on to a catchy lead here,
could be a movie or a game intro score Smile
as others said, maybe ease off on the
bombastic and go for the heart of the song,
not for the scope of the instruments Smile
but thats just me, new here Wink
Tascam US-144 Mk II, Alesis iO4
System : Win 8.1/Ubuntu Linux; i5-3470 quad core cpu@3.2 Ghz; 8Gb Ram
DAW : Presonus Studio One Free, Cubase 5.1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: