Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volca Keys and Korg DS10 nintendo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
analoguekid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Volca Keys and Korg DS10 nintendo Reply with quote

Joined together in matrimony LOL

https://soundcloud.com/analoguekid-1/expanse
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great track. it always amazes me, too, how much you can get out of the ds10 for such an "inexpensive" synth.
analoguekid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roblabs wrote:
great track. it always amazes me, too, how much you can get out of the ds10 for such an "inexpensive" synth.

Thanks for giving it a play, and the encouraging comment Rob and yes, that DS10 is very good for this kind of spacey ambient stuff, its like a cross between the Kaossilator and kaosspad with editing abilities, it would be a must have if you could attach and external controller to it or even sync the sequencer to external clock:-)
fant0mas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Sync:

It should be possible (though I havenīt tested it myself yet), to sync the Keys (as a slave) to the DS-10.

Donīt know if you used that yet, since Iīm at work and cannot listen to the soundcloud right now.

But in case you didn't know - you can sacrifice one channel in DS10 (preferably one of the 4 drum tracks) to output the "rapidlyclicking"-Sync-Audio Signal that the Volcas can interpret as clock!

The way to output this is via a Y-Splitter cable, and then pan the "sync" signal from the DS10 all the way to the Right or Left channel, so that it gets its output only through one of the Y-Splitīs ends, and pan the rest of the signals all the way to the other side and output that through the remaining Y-Split cable.

Iīve been toying with that idea for a while, but I sync my volcas to my electribe ES-1 via MIDI (that way I can start/stop all 4 of them by pressing Play on the ES1 !) Wink

Last edited by fant0mas on Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
analoguekid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fant0mas wrote:
Speaking of Sync:

It should be possible (though I havenīt testet it myself yet), to sync the Keys (as a slave) to the DS-10.

Donīt know if you used that yet, since Iīm at work and cannot listen to the soundcloud right now.

But in case you didn't know - you can sacrifice one channel in DS10 (preferably one of the 4 drum tracks) to output the "rapidlyclicking"-Sync-Audio Signal that the Volcas can interpret as clock!

The way to output this is via a Y-Splitter cable, and then pan the "sync" signal from the DS10 all the way to the Right or Left channel, so that it gets its output only through one of the Y-Splitīs ends, and pan the rest of the signals all the way to the other side and output that through the remaining Y-Split cable.

Iīve been toying with that idea for a while, but I sync my volcas to my electribe ES-1 via MIDI (that way I can start/stop all 4 of them by pressing Play on the ES1 !) Wink

Thats worth a try, thanks for that advice, so what I gather is that its a "Y" cable from the stereo phones out, one side to a mixer etc. the other to the CV in of the Volca Keys, then when starting the sequencer on the DS10 nintendo it will start the sequencer on the Volca, is that correct?

The track I have uploaded had both bits of kit running independent but both set to the same tempo so the clock, although not strictly in time was there or there abouts. As both audio outs went into the pedal the delay on the pedal added to this collection which basically got everything nearer also:-) Its not really a track that would rely on strict clock but i'll certainly try your suggestion as this will make things a whole lot easier Smile
fant0mas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I donīt think the audio-sync will START the connected volca, but it will surely keep its clock in sync with the DS10īs internal clock.
youīd have to manually press start/stop, but in my experience, they will sync up even if you miss the beat by a little bit.

and you could chain more volcas out of the keys then, of course!

but yeah, you got the general idea - one channel (left) carrying the sync signal, the other (right) going to the mixer with the remaining "real" audio.

EDIT:
a thing youīll have to figure out in order for them to sync, though, would be:
the volcas need a special polarity of the sync signal (off/on as opposed to on/off, or vice versa!).

But there IS a youtube-tutorial or something for that. should be able to find it by searching for "ds10 sync volca" or something. Iīm 100% certain that Iīve seen it somewhere.
analoguekid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fant0mas wrote:
well I donīt think the audio-sync will START the connected volca, but it will surely keep its clock in sync with the DS10īs internal clock.
youīd have to manually press start/stop, but in my experience, they will sync up even if you miss the beat by a little bit.

and you could chain more volcas out of the keys then, of course!

but yeah, you got the general idea - one channel (left) carrying the sync signal, the other (right) going to the mixer with the remaining "real" audio.

EDIT:
a thing youīll have to figure out in order for them to sync, though, would be:
the volcas need a special polarity of the sync signal (off/on as opposed to on/off, or vice versa!).

But there IS a youtube-tutorial or something for that. should be able to find it by searching for "ds10 sync volca" or something. Iīm 100% certain that Iīve seen it somewhere.

I'll have a scout around and thanks again Smile
fant0mas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no problem - please report back with any issue and/or success you have with this! Wink
analoguekid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fant0mas wrote:
no problem - please report back with any issue and/or success you have with this! Wink

It will be my pleasure Smile
fant0mas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by the way - I didnīt want to start a whole new topic for this, because it really isnīt that special (yet) - hereīs what me and my friend did with my setup I described above.

this video is the two of us just noodlin around on the Korg Family. nothing special, and almost entirely improvised - so please forgive us for the lack of "drama". weīre aware of that and are working hard to improve ourselves.

just thought it might be interesting for you guys - Iīm not really promoting this video anywhere else Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag82Nv59qoA
analoguekid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fant0mas wrote:
by the way - I didnīt want to start a whole new topic for this, because it really isnīt that special (yet) - hereīs what me and my friend did with my setup I described above.

this video is the two of us just noodlin around on the Korg Family. nothing special, and almost entirely improvised - so please forgive us for the lack of "drama". weīre aware of that and are working hard to improve ourselves.

just thought it might be interesting for you guys - Iīm not really promoting this video anywhere else Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag82Nv59qoA

Thats cool, maybe we should open a thread for volca and beat toys users to post their offerings, it'll keep them away from the big boys stuff LOL
analoguekid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fant0mas wrote:

I have had a certain amount of success with this sync tonight, unfortunately I picked up the wrong lead in Maplins, the one I got was a mini stereo to two mini stereos on each side of the "Y" so although I was able to send the signal separately down the left and right side I had to use two mini stereo jack leads and hold the sync side mini jack half way out of the end to cancel out the stereo, I did have success with the tempo though and it will work with the right leads, which I assume are two mini mono jack/jack leads and a stereo to mono left/right "Y" lead. Smile
fant0mas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thatīs great news - yeah, I think I will have the same problem, most Y-splits generally duplicate the signal.

probably easier to go for a stereo to 2x cinch cable and work with adapters or something.

do you remember how you set up the sync signal?
wasnīt it like a perfect square wave running at 16th notes (so effectively acting as 32nd notes pulse?)?

I still havenīt been able to find that video I mentioned earlier O_ô
did you?
analoguekid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fant0mas wrote:
thatīs great news - yeah, I think I will have the same problem, most Y-splits generally duplicate the signal.

probably easier to go for a stereo to 2x cinch cable and work with adapters or something.

do you remember how you set up the sync signal?
wasnīt it like a perfect square wave running at 16th notes (so effectively acting as 32nd notes pulse?)?

I still havenīt been able to find that video I mentioned earlier O_ô
did you?

Yes I found the vid but its a bit hard to follow, all I did with te sync was to put a bass drum beat on the 16 steps and panned it all to one side, this then sent the pulses to the Volca and although it looked like it was skipping the steps and creating a four beats to the bar pattern, the skipped steps were actually playing so the sync was working but wasn't showing every step in the volca sequencer Smile Trouble is, as soon as you attach a MIDI in signal that takes precedence and overides the CV sync and because i'd like the Volca sync'd to the rest of my MIDI gear, this set up would only be used for stuuf that I did as above Smile
fant0mas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah true, I prefer MIDI sync over the CV/sync thing as well, because it allows me to just hit play on one device and not having to worry about being a fraction off a beat too late or anything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: