Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA900 queries ... from a new to Korg player
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa900/Pa3X Le
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wbfnz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: PA900 queries ... from a new to Korg player Reply with quote

As a new convert to korg I have a couple of questions. 1. I play the organ sounds a lot and prefer to use the rotary sound (fast / slow) as a switch on the joystick than the touch option. Can I change this on those that currently change using velocity?
2 Is it possible to add / change the after touch settings of sounds. I like to use this feature and would like to assign the vibrato to violin, trumpet etc to aftertouch. How do I do this?

Thanks
Warren
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: PA900 queries ... from a new to Korg player Reply with quote

wbfnz wrote:
... prefer to use the rotary sound (fast / slow) as a switch on the joystick than the touch option. Can I change this on those that currently change using velocity? Is it possible to add / change the after touch settings of sounds. I like to use this feature and would like to assign the vibrato to violin, trumpet etc to aftertouch. How do I do this?

It is simple to answer your questions: you can change fast/slow of roto-sound using velocity and you also can use aftertouch to assign vibratos to violin, trumpet etc.

It is not so simple to answer how to do this:
Rotarysound is one of that numerous effects you can add to soundprograms. If you like to use switching between fast/slow you have to select a dynamic modulation source for switching, where Velocity is one of that available sources. Details how to do so you can find in Pa900-Reference-Manual (effects, page 357).

Aftertouch also is one of that dynamic modulation source. If you want to use them for vibrato, it is necessary to use the built-in soundeditor to select numerous parameters of Lfos, Amp, EG, Filter of that oscillators you want to change for sounds in that manner you like. This also is an extensive chapter and its recommended first to study "SoundMode" (Soundmodel, Page 201) before asking some more detailed questions.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
wbfnz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your answer. I realised that I was not reading the full manual .. just the quick setup. Re the Rotary sound effect, a most of the factory samples are using velocity to switch the fast/slow sound. I find that even as a 40+ year veteran my touch is not able to control this feature. I wish to change the switching from velocity to joystick. The book does say it can be done, (from page 381 ) but how?? any advice very welcome.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Rotary slow/fast - Multisample slow/fast Reply with quote

wbfnz wrote:
I wish to change the switching from velocity to joystick.

I think you do not use the Rotary-Effekt switching with velocity, but you are using a factory-soundprogram with two organ-sounds (one sampled with slow / another sampled with fast tremolo). Switching is realized with soundeditor (velocity-layer) and this can not be changed simple using another modulation source.

It is possible to use sounds with multisamples that does not contain tremolo. Using such sounds with Rotary-effect are switchable between slow/fast with joystick. I am sure you will find such organ-sounds on your keyboard.

In case of sampled tremolos it is not possible to switch between slow/fast as it is done with switching between two different multisamples via velo-switching without using rotary-effects.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Dikikeys

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't the Korg have a modeled B3 mode? With virtual drawbars, percussion, chorus/vibrato and a Leslie sim?

Why is anyone using those old velocity-switched sampled organs when you have one of those?
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:08 am    Post subject: Velo-Switch sounds Reply with quote

Dikikeys wrote:
Why is anyone using .....

Why anyone is using and what anyone likes to do with different kinds of multisamples and programs is anyones own affair.

next you want to criticize what kind of music anyone and why and in which manner anyone has to do.

it simply was a question in this topic, and there was answer.
Better try to provide reasonable answers as asking with sensless questions.

that is it - nothing else and not necessary to ask why.

DonM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be better to say it this way:

If the Korg has a modeled B3 mode, with virtual drawbars, percussion, chorus/vibrato and a Leslie sim, wouldn't it be better to use that than the unnatural preset organs with velocity-switched sampled organs?

I agree that the way they have those organs set up in the Performances are close to useless. And it might be easier to just not use them than to try to edit them into a useful condition.

Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonM wrote:
Might be better to say it this way..

Yes, i really think that might be better to say it this way -and similar more useful in some of topics here

Dikikeys

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For someone who fails to acknowledge that other people are perfectly within their rights to not care about whether the old fill modes are gone to criticize my phrasing is typical! Twisted Evil

It's a perfectly legitimate question, unlike your self-appointed moderator status, sieben.

If you haven't anything to add to the thread other than criticism of my wording, how about you just leave well alone?
Dikikeys

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Velo-Switch sounds Reply with quote

siebenhirter wrote:
Dikikeys wrote:
Why is anyone using .....

Why anyone is using and what anyone likes to do with different kinds of multisamples and programs is anyones own affair.

next you want to criticize what kind of music anyone and why and in which manner anyone has to do.

it simply was a question in this topic, and there was answer.
Better try to provide reasonable answers as asking with sensless questions.

that is it - nothing else and not necessary to ask why.

For archival purposes before you change your post... Rolling Eyes
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Velo-Switch sounds Reply with quote

It rather seems to be a sign of self-appointed moderator status like you judge who is perfectly within his rights here.

What features of a device someone wants to use is a personal choice - no judge is needed to insult one if using that features one likes to use.

Its you constantly qualifying each other not in your opinion - and that is vicious and unnecessary. Maybe your skill level is high - be proud but silent.

Dikikeys wrote:
Pretty much any player of any skill level could benefit from the idea ....bla bla ..

Dikikeys wrote:
... unless the forum explodes with people demanding them (it seems that not everybody understands how useful either of them could be!) .. I don't think they are strong on Korg's radar...

Maybe not everybody - also you yourself - understands how useful features may be for one he likes to use them - i like velocity switching, also like drawbar-emulation but also like predefining what kind of auto-fill i want to use via fill-mode-parameters, to get more variations of individual transitions as with repetitive auto-fill.

To ask and ask again why one is using old features maybe legitim - but pushy and overbearing i think.

Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to set up Organs to have them switch effects using STS's.
See topic: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=97030
wbfnz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. From this discussion I (an experienced Yamaha keyboard and organist) have learnt about the Korg way, and how it makes some of its sounds. I never realised that the were separate samples that were triggered by the velocity. I do like the sounds but not the trigger so will now choose the correct voice for my requirements.
Dikikeys

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thanks, sieben for demonstrating your inability to grasp even basic English. You had, in your original post here, absolutely NOTHING to add to the conversation other than your tiresome vendetta against everything I post.

The point I was making is that, when a digital drawbars mode exists, and sounds better than the sampled ones (I can only presume you have never played a real B3 if you think the sampled velocity cross-switched ones are anything other than a throwback to the days before decent B3 emulation existed on arrangers), and the original question referred to the difficulty of not being able to use a switch to go between the sampled speeds because they want to use the aftertouch for vibrato on other sounds, there is the solution to what he wants to do!

The digital drawbars allow a variety of switch sources to ramp between fast and slow speed. Yet another advantage, because there is nothing realistic about a Hammond (or any other organ through a spinning speaker) going abruptly from fast to slow. Not to mention how each note, due to sample transposition, is 'spinning' at a different rate to all the other notes. Again, nothing like a Leslie'd organ.

It struck me that, with a digital drawbar mode available, all his problems are solved by skipping the legacy sampled organs, and moving on to the far more realistic B3 mode.

Of course, I don't expect you to care much about that. You have a petty point to make, and don't really seem to care about what the OP was asking (as usual). So, continue to snipe. You honestly think I care? Rolling Eyes

How about actually HELPING, for a change? If you think it is insulting to point out a better solution to a problem, you have much to learn... I don't chase around the forum insulting YOU. How about returning the favor? Or aren't you big enough to do that? This has got tiresome, sieben. Confused
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dikikeys wrote:
Why is anyone using those old velocity-switched sampled organs when you have one of those?

Have to ask the same question.

The "V" organs are so unusable in terms of authentic Tonewheel/Lelsie emulation. No real organ of that type switched "instantly" from slow to fast but sure, maybe some people like it - it is just another SOUND for me and definitely not tone-wheel with rotary emulation or one I could use.
I hate them with a passion and wished that Korg had worked on a better "drawbar" organ component.
The PA3X Drawbar organ is now not too bad compared with previous models and the Rotary effect has improved.
However I personally need a really nice "B3/Leslie" emulation which is why I bought my Roland VR09. I'm not worried about the next PA in this regard as my VR09 is even better than the Nord Stage 2 IMHO (have played and recorded with both side by side).

Each to his own of course.

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa900/Pa3X Le All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: