Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drum Map
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillyHank

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nemik,

For sure remembering 12 notes is not difficult for me, but trying to remember over 50 notes inside over 130 kits is a bit difficult for this 80 year old guy. Wink

Hope you will pardon my "crying"! Shocked

Bill G
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy, I wouldn't worry much about a published document. It sounds like you're comfortable working with a DAW. Most standard and obvious sounds of a drum kit are always assigned to the same key. Then of course, there are random sounds. All you have to do is to write a midi note inside a midi track and click on it. Then you can just move it up and down to find the sound you're looking for. It's much faster than reading a document. Way faster... (Assuming you've midi'ed your keyboard to the computer, and the midi track is set up to send data to the proper instrument)

BillyHank

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Sam are you saying you use more than a single drum kit for your purposes?

If all the drums kits have the same sounds on the same keys, I wonder why there are 130 of them and just how hard can it be to make just one drum chart since only one is needed in this case????

So how do you, in an efficient way, switch between all those kits and try out all those sounds when your looking for just the right combination?

What is your workflow for this?

I'm willing to forgo a chart for an easier way.
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold that thought. I think I have to record my screen to show you what I mean. Will get back to this when I get a chance.

The reason you have many drum kits, because each drum kit is different in a way. Some times the difference in tone is subtle , but sometimes they sound completely different. Some drums sound smaller, some sound more acoustic, some sound completely electronic. Some are softer, and some harsher and more pronounced.

Like I said for the most part standard sounds such as a kick, snare, hi-hat... are usually mapped to the same keys.

Yes, I audition all drum kits within my DAW and it's really easy to do so. When I got a chance to record a video, i'll share it here in this thread.

BillyHank

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam,

That would be super great and I bet there are more folks beside me who would really appreciate that.

My Best to you,

Bill G
Nemik
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I'm sorry to all for taking wrong way my previous post, I didn't mean to be rude or something.
We all know Korg didn't provide us with Drums set key map and we can not force them to do.
I didn't do for all drum sets, only for sets I using.
In my DAW drums plugin I save configuration of preset and named same name as on korg.
Then if I working on new beat, I load this set back.
This way I don't have to guessing what key I need to use.

Someday, maybe if I find a time and mood I'll make and share here some map keys for Drums sets.
Fl Studio 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite.
Performers Heaven
BillyHank

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very interesting that the Korg Factory Kits have 87 keys with instruments and that is definitely not the GM or Yamaha standard.

The Yamaha and GM kits have only 71 keys defined - a very big difference in my book.

To be sure there appears to be many repeats, but when you take a look at the data, there are also many differences between those similarly named ones.

One thing for certain, Korg has given us the best platform for doing whatever we wish with these kits and making our own too.

Bill G
Nemik
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One thing for certain, Korg has given us the best platform for doing whatever we wish with these kits and making our own too.

You right!!

Yamaha not supporting import SMF to style, which is very handy in Korg. Smile
Performers Heaven
BillyHank

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had only had Yamaha arrangers for the last 12 years and never looked at a different brand. This was due mainly to the fact that no music dealer in my state ever stocks an arranger keyboard costing more than $700, which severely limits knowing anything about the better ones. I have always had to buy my keyboards sight unseen and never having had hands on before purchase.

Luckily most manufacturers are now making the Owners Manuals available on line without requiring you to first purchase the keyboard and when I downloaded the manual for the Pa900, I knew I had to have one. I was just blown away reading about the operating system and how much you could do with this keyboard. After having it for a couple of months, I decided to go for the big brother Pa3X.

I wanted the tilt up display, hard drive and 76 keys - after having had 3 different Tyros keyboards, I am just use to the tilt up display.

I keep repeating myself on this, but the Pa900 is what the Tyros keyboards should have been all along and of course the Pa3X is even better yet. I sure have lead a sheltered life as you can see. Laughing Laughing

Bill G
DonM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, the PSR Tutorial site is a wonderful forum, and I love to hang out there, but the members there for the most part are very closed-minded regarding alternatives to Yamaha! For an extremely large percentage of them it's the only brand they have ever seen or heard.
I'm glad you discovered the "other world"! Smile
DonM
BillyHank

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don,

You can take a lot of credit for my awakening my good friend. Cool

I still love being on over at the psrtutorial too because we both have a lot of long time good friends there.

I never pay any attention to those 'MINE IS BETTER THAN YOURS" folks.
Seems are heard a lot of similar remarks in the locker room too - things change when you finish growing up and stay out of the cold showers. Wink

Bill G
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nemik wrote:

Are you serious? Then, how do you create Yamaha Styles in an external sequencer then?

Nemik
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assyrianpianist wrote:
Nemik wrote:

Are you serious? Then, how do you create Yamaha Styles in an external sequencer then?

I'm not positive, friend of my just got Tyros 4 and check entire manual and all option on recording mode.
He was very disappointed, couldn't use midi I gave him with markers, even after change marker name (Yamaha has different... main 1 instead var1).
I read too manual, is nothing there about importing SMF to style.
I think to make a style on Pc you have to use additional software to create style.
Performers Heaven
GXG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, Yamaha's styles are themselves midifiles ! Just download an Yamaha Tyros style, rename it .mid instead of sty. and load it in song Play Mode. It will work. You'll also be able to see the markers too. I tested today the new Tyros 5 and I'm about to buy one and renounce at my Pa3x, especially because of the drum kits. Korg Pa drumkits really sucks. I can guarantee you that if the next Pa won't give us better drum kits, they will continue to loose clients in favour of Yamaha.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I tested today the new Tyros 5 and I'm about to buy one and renounce at my Pa3x, especially because of the drum kits. Korg Pa drumkits really sucks.

Some Yamaha drums sounds are a little better even despite being soaked in DSP - I wouldn't say Korg's "suck" though - they have improved in the PA3X - acoustic brush kit is one of the best IMHO. But, as yet, no-one has produced truly authentic acoustic kits in digital format.

All the best with your T5 - I just hope you will not miss all the PA3X features that are NOT in the T5 - but these things are personal.
Having owned both at the same time, I could not "perform" or "live record" with T5 - it is not designed for that - OS structure is unfriendly and frustrating in those situations and hasn't changed since the T1.

If you have only "tested" the T5 once, then PLEASE (at least) review its manuals in detail before finally deciding - if you look back through these forums several members have switched to Yamaha and then switched back - at least hold on to both for a while if you can afford to. It is always tempting to change keyboards
- "the grass is greener…." syndrome etc..

Anyhow, sincerely, good luck. Would still like to hear you views and experiences here on the forum.

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa3X All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: