Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MS20 mini - extreme noise when USB plugged in

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arc1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: MS20 mini - extreme noise when USB plugged in Reply with quote

I'm a new owner of the MS 20 mini and whenever I plug a USB cable in it creates a lot of noise. I don't have a MIDI port on my audio interface, so USB is my only option for sequencing. Has anyone else experience this? If I can't find out a way to fix this, I'm going to end up taking this back, this is a complete deal breaker for me. I understand that the MS 20 is noisy synth, but this noise is much worse then the normal noise of the synth.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using a USB audio-interface along with a USB MIDI device that has audio connected to that interface, any noise is due to a grounding issue. I've had this problem with several different electronic instruments.

I've found two ways to help fix this. This first is getting a ground loop isolator to help clear out any kind of noise before going to the interface:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062214

The second is based on some trial and error experiments I did using several different types of USB cables. It's a bit long winded (I posted this on another forum), but it solved the problem for me...
-------------------------------
So I dug through my USB cables right now and hopefully this will help anyone having grounding issues in a USB/MIDI Synth + USB Audio Interface set up. This is all based on personal experience, which was buying a handful of used USB cables from a computer shop and literally trying out every combination I could think of with my gear. Google searching a solution kept leading me in endless circles, so again, this is just based on my own observations...

On most USB 2.0 cables, it will have two sets of coding printed on the wire which say 28AWG/. After the slash mark, if both sets of coding say 2C, then it is built with the best shielding to eliminate ground loops. If one of the sets say something other than 2C after the slash mark, the layer of shielding is less than optimal and it's possible that you'll be getting some noise coming through depending on the gear you are using.

I read about USB 2.0 and how it's required to have a certain amount of shielding in order to be classified as 2.0, but just like anything that's regulated, certain manufactures will do the bare minimum to save production costs. So some have really great shielding, others have the least required. Again, this is all just based on endless Googling and my own experience trying to trouble shoot grounding problems with my USB set up, so maybe someone here will pop in and explain it better than I can.

So again, look for USB cables that have two matching sets of coding that say 28AWG/2C and replace any USB cable in your gear setup that doesn't with ones that do, even the cable you have connecting your USB Audio Interface to your computer. Hope that helps!

Also wanted to adding the following since I noticed a difference on two of my cables that worked better.

The two sets of coding could say 28AWG/ or 24AWG/. I have one where both are the same, then another that is mixed matched. As long as both end with 2C after the slash mark though, it will work the best.

Just out of curiosity, I found a thread that says the difference between it beginning with 24 or 28 might have to do with the wire thickness, then 2C means it has two conductors. I haven't the slightest clue on how wiring conductors operate, but hey, cracking the code worked for me.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
Liviu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Arc1,

Did you manage to solve your issue? I have exactly the same problem here: as soon as my external soundcard is connected to the setup, I get a bad humming noise. As soon as I disconnect the USB from the SQ-1 or the soundcard from the firewire port on my computer, the humming disappears.

@ Re-member: I already tried USB cables with the 28AWG/ ... 2C specification, unfortunately didn't make any difference in my case.

I think I will have to break the ground loop with a DI-box, but I wanted to check if there was another way to solve the issue: maybe my SQ-1 is defect.

Thanks for your answer
Jamie Munro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come back with your answer if you figure it out please so others can see
Liviu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could get rid of the ground loop by using a Behringer Hum Destroyer box, which is connected in between the MS-20mini and my mixer. It is quite cheap (29 euros):

http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_microhd_hd400.htm

This is a ground loop isolator, what Re-Member also mentioned in his post, and the only effective way to break the ground loop if you have a system with several connected devices (typically: computer - SQ-1 - MS-20mini - Mixer - external audio interface).

USB cable specifications can also play a role and made the situation a little bit better (although it didn't solve the humming problem). The correct specifications for a well shielded USB cable should be 24AWG/ ... 2C. You will find here an explanation on how to choose your USB cable here:

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/support/knowledge-base/show/2085

Hope this helps other users Smile
thrashmetaljazz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that using a power cable (rather than bus power) for my interface solved this problem. If your audio interface doesn't have the option then this is no use, but just in case...!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG MS20 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: