Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sequence and transpose in real time. How? What gear?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vrakulven

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Sequence and transpose in real time. How? What gear? Reply with quote

Hi,

I´ve got the MS-20 Mini and I love it. I bought the Arturia Beatstep to use as a sequencer, but got disappointed when I couldn´t get it to work with the MS-20 as I wanted.

I want to be able to sequence the MS-20 and transpose via the MS-20 keyboard in real time. Hope you understand what I mean, english is not my first language. Smile

So - to do this, I tought about buying the Korg SQ-1 or the more expensive Doepfer Dark Time. How do I connect the patch cables? Is there more gearI have to buy to get it to work?
I´ve been searchin the web but never found a explanation that I seen to understand.

Thanks in advance!

/Vrakulven
Frenzies

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Sequence and transpose in real time. How? What gear? Reply with quote

Vrakulven wrote:
Hi,

I´ve got the MS-20 Mini and I love it. I bought the Arturia Beatstep to use as a sequencer, but got disappointed when I couldn´t get it to work with the MS-20 as I wanted.

I want to be able to sequence the MS-20 and transpose via the MS-20 keyboard in real time. Hope you understand what I mean, english is not my first language. Smile

So - to do this, I tought about buying the Korg SQ-1 or the more expensive Doepfer Dark Time. How do I connect the patch cables? Is there more gearI have to buy to get it to work?
I´ve been searchin the web but never found a explanation that I seen to understand.

Thanks in advance!

/Vrakulven

I don't know if either of these units will allow you to do what you want, which I believe is transpose a sequence that is being sent to the MS20 from an external unti by pressing the keyboard on the MS20. This is the way the internal sequencer on the Arturia Microbrute works and is very useful.
To connect up you need 2 cables. On the sequencer you will have a CV out for pitch and one for gate.
Connect the pitch one to the Osc 1 and 2 CV in.
Connect the gate to Keyboard Trigger in.
But then I guess you already know this from your beatstep. I can't think of any patching that would change the standard behaviour.

Moog Sub 37 - Arturia Microbrute - Roland Gaia SH-01 - Boss DR660 - Akai S1000 - Akai S01 - Yamaha RM1x - Roland SP-404SX

https://soundcloud.com/beardsound
chris-korg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest to go the Midi-way instead of CV/Gate for transposing.
(except you are already the proud owner of a modular system)

So the Setup would be Midi-Keyboard -> sequencer -> MS20mini

I do use 2 different sequencer in this kind of Setup:
MidiPal OR
Doepfer Dark Time

From there you can expand your system as you like (additional synths, additional sequencers, midi-patchbays etc.)

If you want to go the CV/Gate-way there are some videos on YT
Jamie Munro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Sequence and transpose in real time. How? What gear? Reply with quote

Vrakulven wrote:
Hi,

Thanks in advance!

/Vrakulven

You can do it with the sq-1 easily.

Gate out of sq-1 to trig in of ms20 and cv out of sq-1 to t-ext of ms20, adjust the t-ext dial to the desired amount and then just play the keyboard and it transposes the sequence being sent from sq-1

Regarding the beatstep, I'm not sure it has the ability after reading their site instructions, it only uses v/oct and not hz/oct. The beatstep pro has both options I believe, you may want to wait for that but it's pretty expensive compared to the sq-1, although it's going to be a very very good sequencer with waaaaaay more ability than the sq-1
Steinberger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious. Since the SQ-1 does USB MIDI to CV conversion(Controller > SQ-1 > MS-20) doesn't that kind of approach the Beatstep Pro if I'm using my Taktile controller or maybe a Trigger Finger Pro? I finding myself surprised by how badass the SQ-1 has turned out to be after spending a few hours with it yesterday. It's almost like a baby Electribe junction box.
Jamie Munro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you would think BUT I personally I am starting to find limitations with it

It's ok but it can't pass tempo information to its outputs if USB is master (computer DaW), which for me isn't a lot of good, it also doesn't manage to pass on synced cv to its outputs either. AND unbelievably it doesn't pass tempo info to its midi output either unless it's master WTF !!

As a master unit it's good fun and works well but you've still gotta use your ears to match tempo to other gear, which when you are running several instruments and analog delays etc it's not ideal as you are constantly stressing about clock management

If they could make the usb input convert to Cv tempo and also midi that would be great, I'm not holding my breath but I think they should, it's software fix after all and it's not like they don't have competition. What will really piss me off is if they decide to make a better and bigger one to compete with the beatstep pro but ditch the development of this, that's not much like korg to be fair but you never know.

Comparing to beatstep pro is a bit harsh IMO, from what I've seen the pro is capable as drums, and is it about 8 tracks of cv, all managed by temp and ALSO it is going to show you the key you are playing per step.....that's unreal if so, and it's going to work with all standards of cv I believe, if so, my sq-1 will be taking a backseat faster than I would have liked but we will see how it plays out.
Steinberger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I really hope they continue to enhance the firmware to solve some of those issues but for what it is I'm not really wanting for much.

I've got a setup right now that includes a Taktile 49 controller, SQ-1, MS-20M, electribe2, iPad all being routed with a iConnectAudio4+. The recommended, by KORG, control setup causes the SQ-1 to jumper/override the portamento control on MS-20M. The SQ-1 slide function is to sort of replace that.

I have a somewhat complex to configure, but easy to work with, setup now that uses both USB MIDI and CV connections on both the SQ-1 and the MS-20M that allows me to either use the SQ-1 exclusively or as a mod sequencer when controlling the MS with the Taktile or electribe2 or whatever. I don't have a problem with MIDI clock issues. Everything stays in sync regardless of when I switch to a different master. What I did have issues with initially was filtering MIDI noise and note messages going everywhere. The iConnect gear is really great with solving these kinds of things and I don't have a ton of MIDI cable spaghetti to get what I want either.

As a mod sequencer I think the SQ-1 is working out really nicely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG MS20 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: