Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best way of using .wav backing tracks
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mad_musician

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Best way of using .wav backing tracks Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I was wondering which way, from your experience, is the best way to use a backing track in wav format. What i was considering is first, using the wav file in sequence mode but i wanted to use my splits and layers as well. second i was thinking of using it as a triggered sample in my layers and splits. Which was is more efficient and will work for what i need it to? Any other suggestions?

Thank you!

Korg Kronos 73, Akai MPK 49, Korg M1
LZ
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reason why you can't still use splits and layers in song mode. Create a song from your combi - everything works the same, then add an audio track for your wav.

The problem with using a sample is that it has to be triggered from the beginning. An audio track can start anywhere in the middle. In theory it shouldn't matter, but it's nice when practicing to be able to start wherever you want. Plus, if it's a sample and for some reason cuts off, no more audio for the rest of the song unless you go back and start it over.
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My preference is to use SEQ.

Go to SEQ.
Go to TRACK EDIT==>TRACK EDIT and click on the first tiny area in the tan half of the screen. It should show AUDIO TRACK 1 in the top header area.
From the Drop Down menu in the top right select AUDIO EVENT EDIT.
Move the selection until it's on TRACK END.
Click on INSERT at the bottom.
Select the first available index 0000 and click on IMPORT at the bottom.
Find your .WAV and click on OK.
After it's done creating the WAV click on OK and click DONE.
Now if you press the sequencer start/stop button the backing track should play.

One last thing, click on the Drop Down Menu at the top right once more and select SET SONG LENGTH and set it to something like 200. The default length is likely too short.

To name your song go back to the main screen and select RENAME SONG from the drop down menu.

You will want to save the SEQ in DISK MODE. Remember a SEQ can have up to 200 songs in it. The advantage of using this method is that the backing songs will be streamed from the SSD and use very little RAM.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
mad_musician

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for the replies! looks like i'll be going with the SEQ approach. i appreciate it!

Korg Kronos 73, Akai MPK 49, Korg M1
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEQ is really COMBI mode with the sequencer added. You can use COPY FROM COMBI or COPY FROM PROGRAM to move things over.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
ferchis
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

burningbusch wrote:
SEQ is really COMBI mode with the sequencer added. You can use COPY FROM COMBI or COPY FROM PROGRAM to move things over.

Busch.

sorry to intrude, guys, buy was wondering, Busch, if you could actually play a combination of layered/split sounds in SEQ mode just in the SAME way as you do in a combi...

Kronos 88 - Korg M50 61 - Morphwiz - Alchemy synth
LZ
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you asked Busch, but they are exactly the same - same parts, same effects....you just also have tracks in a sequence. You could set a combi up as a sequence with no actual sequencer data and it would be exactly the same as a combi.
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferchis wrote:
burningbusch wrote:

Busch.

sorry to intrude, guys, buy was wondering, Busch, if you could actually play a combination of layered/split sounds in SEQ mode just in the SAME way as you do in a combi...

Not only splits and layers, but you can copy KARMA settings, too.

I have a medley where the first song is a .wav backing track and the second is accompanied by KARMA. I set the tempo to match the backing track (both songs are the same tempo) and just before the last downbeat I enable KARMA. The transistioned is seamless.

BTW, I set the song length to include enough measures for the second song. Not sure this is necessary, but I wanted to be sure that there were no glitches when the song stops playing and I continue with KARMA.
MarPabl
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this tutorial: Korg Kronos Tutorial: 06 Using Backing Tracks
simur

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I never tried, but I was wondering to use the sequence mode with one stereo backing track for each song (I have resumed an old project on minidisk and I have the stereo mix of drums, bass, 2nd keys, 2nd guit, backing vocals).

My concern is that if I want to play in setlist mode changing sounds with a foot switch I have to duplicate all the combi into the same sequence , to be sure that the backing tracks continue to play... right?

Is there another way to play a simple stereo track and use the combi/ setilist mode as usual?
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use an iPod or something, hooked up to the Kronos audio ins?
simur

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, probably I would do that, but to be honest it sounds strange to me that I don't have a simple way to playback a stereo wav or mp3 file from disk or USB pendrive... It would be convenient for practicing or listening a song during rehearsals to check the key, chords, structure, ...
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simur wrote:
Yes, probably I would do that, but to be honest it sounds strange to me that I don't have a simple way to playback a stereo wav or mp3 file from disk or USB pendrive... It would be convenient for practicing or listening a song during rehearsals to check the key, chords, structure, ...

if you select a program like for instance the piano and then press the disk button and select the wav file from your usb stick, then you have an option called play in the screen. There you can play the wav file and when you play the keyboard you will hear your choosen program (the piano in this case), so you can play along and practive the chords / structure. It's not possible to change presets during this play exercise without stopping the play wav file function. You can only do that by creating a background track.

I think the best way is what SanderXpander suggested, by adding an iPod / iPad / or any other mp3 player to the usb or analog inputs from the kronos, you have complete freedom playing over wav / mp3 files.
simur

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed!

Good to know the other option... Thanks!
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simur wrote:

As Qui pointed out, there is. But it's really simple. The point is, you then start to want to make it more complicated, like wanting to change sounds/splits at the same time, or having it run in sync with the arps/midi clock, etc.
That's why there is a sequence mode, so you can set this all up in advance.

If you want to treat the backing track as a completely separate device, leaving your Kronos entirely free to do anything else you may want... Bring a separate device.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: