Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Damper pedal problem/query
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Damper pedal problem/query Reply with quote

So I had a concert and everything was fine until I noticed a few notes sticking - I switched combinations and it was ok. We only had the usual 15 mins to set up so things were rushed. For most of the concert it was great - then I noticed notes sticking!

I pulled the damper out and even more notes stuck! I pushed in the plug again and tried to switch combinations and no good. Notes were stuck. I restarted the Kronos and waited 2 minutes for it to restart. Same thing - stuck notes. When I pulled the plug out - the Kronos sustained all notes - so I left it plugged in and did not use the pedal for the rest of the gig.

I usually have 3 sustain pedals in my bag but just the day before I pulled one out to use in the studio and the night before I pulled another out for a trip!

OK, I know it's there but where is the panic button/reset damper/controller function? Will check the pedal with a meter right now.

Aron
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what went wrong. The pedal is fine and I am trying to reproduce the problem. With + polarity, when the pedal is pulled notes will sustain (that is what happened - just surprised that this is so). However, when plugging in the pedal, the notes stop.

I cannot figure out a reliable way to shut off stuck notes. Reset controllers doesn't work and I can't find anything else to reset it. I tried switching programs but it still sustains. hmmm....
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few thoughts…..

Forgive the "obvious" question…..but it can be easily overlooked.
Are you sure the sustain pedal is in the correct socket ? (Damper…not the Hold…)

Also,try turning Karma off to see if it stops the sustained notes.
(This happened to me a couple of times and it worked……perhaps by coincidence as there's no real reason for Karma to be the cause etc).

Which pedal are you using ?
(Apparently not all types will work).
Korg pedals need to have -(minus) polaritiy.

Good Luck.
bsbsantos

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happened to me on my last rehearsal.
I blamed the sustain pedal right away.
Now I am worried.
I have another pedal at home. I will test both and see what happens.
phil55

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you look in the global section to see if the polarity of the sustain pedal is correct?

I had a similar issue and it went away after I updated it to 2.1.1 OS.

Is this the OS that you have?
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been using the same pedals all this time. Just used the rig the night before.
Probably an older ROM - will check.
I can't remember when I unplugged and replugged if the notes were still sustaining.

Thanks!

Aron
phil55

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
I can't remember when I unplugged and replugged if the notes were still sustaining.

Thanks!

Aron

This is exactly what happened to me before I updated the OS to 2.1.1. You didn't mention what OS you're using...
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember but it wasn't the latest so maybe that's it.

Aron
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just played a concert and requested a 73 note Kronos. I updated the OS to the latest off the web site and after restarting -the sustain pedal started acting up again.

I went into the global settings and reversed the damper setting and everything was ok.

I looked in the manual and yes, it does state to set the polarity - but in the past I never had to do this at all. My Kronos used to act like my Kurzweil - no need to do anything and upon boot it would automatically set the damper polarity. This was a nice feature.

Oh and the rental did have the piano note truncated problem we used to talk about. I heard it but of course ignored it and played a little harder!
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pedro5 wrote:
Just a few thoughts…..

Forgive the "obvious" question…..but it can be easily overlooked.
Are you sure the sustain pedal is in the correct socket ? (Damper…not the Hold…)

Also,try turning Karma off to see if it stops the sustained notes.
(This happened to me a couple of times and it worked……perhaps by coincidence as there's no real reason for Karma to be the cause etc).

Which pedal are you using ?
(Apparently not all types will work).
Korg pedals need to have -(minus) polaritiy.

Good Luck.

There is a "Hold" jack? I can't find it.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
I just played a concert and requested a 73 note Kronos. I updated the OS to the latest off the web site and after restarting -the sustain pedal started acting up again.

I went into the global settings and reversed the damper setting and everything was ok.

I looked in the manual and yes, it does state to set the polarity - but in the past I never had to do this at all. My Kronos used to act like my Kurzweil - no need to do anything and upon boot it would automatically set the damper polarity. This was a nice feature.

Oh and the rental did have the piano note truncated problem we used to talk about. I heard it but of course ignored it and played a little harder!

"I went into the global settings and reversed the damper setting and everything was ok."

Of course you did "Write" the Global settings, correct?
kaptainkeyboard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened to me, but my solution was simple.
I use a Roland Sustain Pedal which has a switch on the side marked "Continuous" and "Switch".
I must have set the switch to "Continuous" by accident while packing it away - setting it to "Switch" solved the problem.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:

Thanks!

Aron

"Probably an older ROM - will check."

I am not sure what this means...
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the point I was trying to make was that previous to this - the keyboard would auto-sense the pedal polarity without having to tell it what type of pedal it is.

Since I only have Yamaha pedals, once I set it it's fine. Just strange that this issue came up all of a sudden that's all.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
I guess the point I was trying to make was that previous to this - the keyboard would auto-sense the pedal polarity without having to tell it what type of pedal it is.

Since I only have Yamaha pedals, once I set it it's fine. Just strange that this issue came up all of a sudden that's all.

even my Korg Triton did not autosense damper pedal polarity. And yes the Yamaha damper pedals are the opposite polarity from the Korg damper pedals. So you will need to make the adjustments and then write the global settings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: