Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Damper pedal problem/query
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cpilot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a reverse polarity damper pedal and set the Global mode accordingly, when you pull the damper plug, the notes will sustain indefinitely. That's the way it works if you think about it. I have a Kawai F20 dual pedal which has reverse polarity so I'm aware of this. Another problem is that in reverse polarity, the damper input does not work the same as normal polarity. If you want half damping to work you need a pedal with approximately 1000 ohms resistance. To the best of my knowledge nobody makes such a device. I had to put a 1000 ohm resistance in parallel (I made a little box for this which also acts as a cable splitter for the Kawai). Half damping now works like a charm except for EP-1. There's a bug in that half damping occurs in the wrong place. They are aware of this but have done nothing about it. I live in hopes!

Bryan
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>So I take it you didn't try the test I offered?

What would your test prove? This is an intermittent problem that occurred over 3 different pedals. Your test is not any more conclusive than the multimeter test I did. I understand what your test does.

I understand what you are trying to say about this. I really do.

What you are missing is that what I am asking for is a way to shut the notes off without having to restart the machine. Once this happens there is no fix AFAIK.

I know you think that I don't know anything about how a circuit works etc... that is fine. Please visit diystompboxes.com/forum if you care to.

Wait!!!!! Your idea is great for this.... I will carry around a 1/4" plug and simply short the ground and tip on the gig and open the circuit back and forth. That will end all questions when this happens!!!!

I take back everything I said! Very Happy

Last edited by aron on Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryan,

Yes, that may be the easiest fix. I am trying to track down a pedal - no one has a Korg pedal here. Will see if I can find another type. Have to play a concert tomorrow. If it comes down to it, will use my PC3 instead.

> If you have a reverse polarity damper pedal and set the Global mode accordingly, when you pull the damper plug, the notes will sustain indefinitely. That's the way it works if you think about it.

CPilot, yes, but even when set to reverse polarity - when the unit turns on, it does not sustain. Therefore there is init code that can manage this part of the sound engine. I was hoping there was a way to reinit the engine so when I pull the pedal, it can act like it just started up.

Just called all around. No Korg type pedal here. Oh well. Time to program the PC3 a bit more.

Thanks,

Aron
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
>So I take it you didn't try the test I offered?

What would your test prove? This is an intermittent problem that occurred over 3 different pedals. Your test is not any more conclusive than the multimeter test I did. I understand what your test does.

I understand what you are trying to say about this. I really do.

What you are missing is that what I am asking for is a way to shut the notes off without having to restart the machine. Once this happens there is no fix AFAIK.

I know you think that I don't know anything about how a circuit works etc... that is fine. Please visit diystompboxes.com/forum if you care to.

Wait!!!!! Your idea is great for this.... I will carry around a 1/4" plug and simply short the ground and tip on the gig and open the circuit back and forth. That will end all questions when this happens!!!!

I take back everything I said! Very Happy

sorry if you were offended by my comments. Until I saw the link for your website which I went to, I wasn't sure of your knowledge of basic electronics. Obviously you know what time it is. So that at this point I would say maybe you should have your Kronos in the shop. Obviously there is some defect with it. As far as a panic button mode, Dan At Korg is probably the best source of information being as he wrote the manuals for the Kronos. If anyone would know it would be him.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually do think your idea is great. It will prove once and for all if it's the pedal (which as I said it could be). I am tracking down a Korg pedal now.
I am still bothered by the fact that this could happen to anyone that uses a Yamaha type pedal which they probably shouldn't considering what can happen.

I have no problem with purchasing a Korg pedal if it will fix things. Tracking one down is interesting. Probably will order away. It's not a problem for Thursday. Just had to reprogram a few sounds in the PC3. It's good to go.
Thanks!

p.s. I'm going to carry around a 1/4" shorted plug. If this ever happens I will be able to test this problem immediately.
LZ
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned before, the Roland DP-2 pedal has worked fine for me as well (2 of them). If they don't cost too much, it may not hurt to pick up another brand of pedal, even if it's not Korg (though as I said, I had trouble with M-Audio as well).
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
[...]I am asking for is a way to shut the notes off without having to restart the machine. Once this happens there is no fix AFAIK.

To shut down hung notes, try switching modes to Program or Sampling or Global ... whatever. That should turn off all sustained notes. I believe the COMPARE button should also do the same thing. You can test these by holding down a chord and seeing if the notes do turn off.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sorry I am not making myself clear (not the first time!).
Is there a way to shut off the notes and be able to continue using the keyboard.

Yes, there are ways to shut off the sound (thanks for the compare) but you cannot use the keyboard after that. The notes just sustain and are stuck.

I've been trying to shut off the sound. I'm not sure if there's a way without turning the unit off.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry- one more question. does this problem occur for any Program or Combi?
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK you guys. I hope you never have to go through what I went through on 2 gigs. Here is a band aid fix.

Load the following .mid into your Kronos. It will generate all notes off and give you a fighting chance to continue playing. Right now it takes 4 secs to shut off the notes, but it's better than 2 1/2 minutes!!!!!

http://www.aronnelson.com/kronos/alloff.mid

I loaded the MIDI file, upped the tempo (set the tempo to manual), then saved the song. (This decreased the time to a couple of seconds now) At least I don't ever have to turn the machine off now if I ever have a bad pedal or ????

So if you have this extremely unfortunate event happen to you. Pull the pedal, play the sequence and keep playing.
(I guess that's why some keyboards have panic features - very useful for real world problems)

Hey, thanks for all of the help and suggestions. Will get a Korg pedal and hopefully this won't happen again. As I have a way to get out of the problem without having to restart - I consider this matter closed. Thanks!
Cpilot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought. Maybe you have an intermittent socket. The sockets on mine appeared to be slightly oxidised so I put some Deoxit on a plug and pushed it in and out a few times. That fixed it. Did the same to all the sockets just in case and haven't had any trouble since.

Bryan
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bryan. Yep, anything is possible.
Hey BTW check out LPS 1 - the spray can. A long time ago I did a bunch of tests with deoxit, cramolin etc... on 2 Sequential Pro Ones that I have.
Deoxit/cramolin lasted about 3 months. LPS 1 kept going for about a year or more. Since then I have been using this on pots, jacks, j-wires. It works really well and I have never had any problems using it.
Danextgen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im having this same issue with a model 1 kronos.

Also, when i put the pedal, the sounds gain a bit extra release, without me touching the pedal. When i take it off they loose the extra release.

Is there any conclusion for a resolution after all these years?

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: