Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA600 and Midi CC#84 (Portamento Control)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sridharar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Siebenhirter

Thanks for taking the time to write a note weaving the related concepts together i.e legato, portamento, glissando, fingered and non-fingered mode, etc. I liked your distinction between glissando and portamento.

Fyi...

I ordered an Alesis Vortes Keytar -- it was just too good to pass up for $99 sale. So many additional features for real time expression [ ribbon; accelerometer; after touch; 3 knobs; 8 pads etc.], plus few useful software.

http://tinyurl.com/kdngkez

I am now able to control Portamento and various sound parameters conveniently in real time now - and it is wonderful. Glissando is very much needed for Indian music - and will have to explore that.

Best Regards Sri.
chanders

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, sorry to bring up an old thread but I couldn't help but mine the gold that was posted in the previous posts! As Sri said, glissando is an absolute must for indian music.

I was sorely disappointed to find out the VERY limited modes available for "Portamento" on the PA keyboards and from what I understand, KORG on a whole.

I recently posted on another forum for help on how to get such beautiful slides as in this video but it seems Roland is King when it comes to configurability for Portamento.

If you know if this can be done on a Korg, please share your knowledge!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGpsOMi9v14
sridharar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chanders,

I was on the Forum for another topic and also noticed this note of yours.

Inspired by your note, I thought it may be a good idea to jot down a few things I have been exploring on my side and may be, somehow it may find some use to you and others.

Yes Portamento options on KORG PA600 are very limited - and one needs dynamic control which is not expressible in the current setup.

For example, one that takes into account the beginning note, the end note, the tempo and applies different kinds of curve.

Leaving that aside, I have pursued a few different approaches.

a) I am more or less using GeoShred (on iPad) for getting the fine nuances of Indian Music. The instrument/app is amazing for melodic expression and rich capabilities for Indian music. (Developers were very responsive and generously entertained my engagement with them and incorporated some of my thoughts and suggestions). You can use Geoshred as the MIDI controller for beautiful gamakas and glides. You can take a look at some examples in my Youtube Channel. May be I will include a link here.

b) I combine GeoShred Audio, as a separate track to go along with PA600 tracks for making an integrated Song.

c) I also use Python Code to generate different kinds of articulations needed. This is still work in progress. I set a few keys on the PA600 (which do not play locally) but are sent to laptop to control the keyboard behavior in real time. The round trip Latency is and can be still an issue here - except in Vilambit speed.

d) I have also been able to control all music parameters in realtime much better using Python and a flight simulator JoyStick. The communication is one way from the Laptop to PA600 - so latencies are not an issue. Somehow having Laptop in the mix is something I would like to avoid - may be I will switch to Tablet (that supports full fledged Python, and Joysticks).

In spite of the known limitations, PA600 Portamento is wonderful even in its current form and I am happy for it. Some additional fine control would be great.

One major issue I have still have not figured out is whether once the Portamento is triggered and is executing, whether Korg PA600 listens to midi messages and amenable to control. This is an important factor - as at runtime, for controlling the portamento, we need to know what the destination note is, at the minimum. My Python code can do complex things to control the glide (via pitch bends, volume levels, filter cutoff envelopes) once it knows the destination note, but all that will be a NULL if PA600 will not listen to any of those messages once glide is already setin.

regards Sri,

P.S. I just cannot play a raga like this on my PA600 or any other keyboard. Need for a direct multi touch playing surface inevitable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp0ZcvTzduE

Shared Area https://tinyurl.com/ybf5ucga
YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeXBbc4qNkdbNPywhopu1iA

Last edited by sridharar on Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:58 am; edited 1 time in total
sridharar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chanders

BTW, I watched the youtube link you shared..

The person is playing very nicely.

Yes these can be played nicely also on PA600 and even I have been able to.

What he/she is playing is probably not through Portamento Control, but through pitch bend, fast playing, release settings. I also hear use of glide up for notes (available in most keyboards).

He is also using Sarangi instrument, which is not available on PA600. That and Sarod are two highly desirables for me. I do have samples for those and planning to add it to PA600 (given that sampler capability is available now).

I had also asked whether any one has done it.

I also think Roland has an integrated Pitchbend and Modulation which makes playing like this easier. Of course KOrg has full Joystick which is even better (though I have had to change 3 joysticks so far -- just do not seem to take the demands of Indian Music).

br Sri.

Shared Area https://tinyurl.com/ybf5ucga
YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeXBbc4qNkdbNPywhopu1iA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa600/Pa300 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: