Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

(repost) Loud mechanical key noise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Classic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhydermike

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: (repost) Loud mechanical key noise Reply with quote

(Forgive the repost from the Triton Studio forum. I presume the hardware is very similar.)

I bought a 61 key Triton Studio last year, and I have been disappointed with the amount of mechanical noise from the keybed itself. The keys make a loud thunking sound when pressed and another when released. I had hoped to make a lot of use of this machine at night using headphones but it's a bit too noisy for that. In addition, I find that when operating it at moderate volumes, the loud key release can throw off my rhythm.

I opened it up today to have a look around. There is a felt strip that the keys hit when they are depressed, and it didn't /seem/ to be noticeably hardened or worn away, but to be honest, I don't really know what to look for. It's an extremely complicated machine in terms of its internal construction so I didn't dismantle it beyond removing the bottom plate.

I would like to know if this is standard for a Triton? If so, is there anything that can be done to improve it in this area?

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can offer.
jorgemncardoso

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: (repost) Loud mechanical key noise Reply with quote

rhydermike wrote:
(Forgive the repost from the Triton Studio forum. I presume the hardware is very similar.)

I bought a 61 key Triton Studio last year, and I have been disappointed with the amount of mechanical noise from the keybed itself. The keys make a loud thunking sound when pressed and another when released. I had hoped to make a lot of use of this machine at night using headphones but it's a bit too noisy for that. In addition, I find that when operating it at moderate volumes, the loud key release can throw off my rhythm.

I opened it up today to have a look around. There is a felt strip that the keys hit when they are depressed, and it didn't /seem/ to be noticeably hardened or worn away, but to be honest, I don't really know what to look for. It's an extremely complicated machine in terms of its internal construction so I didn't dismantle it beyond removing the bottom plate.

I would like to know if this is standard for a Triton? If so, is there anything that can be done to improve it in this area?

Hi, welcome to the forum. There is really not much you can do to reduce that mechanical "noise" you describe. Unless your key felts are really very worn in and harden, witch probably is not the case, it's the normal noise for those keybeds.
The Tritons use the Yamaha FS keybed, it's the same keybed that Korg has used on all the top pf the line workstations since the M1, it's made by Yamaha and used on all Yamaha's top workstations too ever since the DX7.
To me is simply the best semi-weighted keybed ever put on a synth, period! I grew up with these keybeds, M1, T3, 01W, Trinity, Triton. They changed the type of felts on later keybeds so it's a bit quieter than the old ones.
If you complain about the Triton key noise, you should play an M1, waay louder.
To me it never bothered me one bit, i prefer it a million times to these modern plasticky cheap keybeds they put on synths these days. Yes they are quieter, but they can't take a beating like the old ones did. So my advise is crank up the volume and stop worrying about it Razz

You can try to gently brush both felts with a soft brush, it can reduce the key noise a bit, but you'll have do disassemble the whole keybed, it's not that complicated but its very complex, and a looot of work. I should know, i've taken all of mine apart several times over the years for mainenance
Yamaha: Motif XS8
Roland: expanded JV-1010 modules (3X)
...And a bucket load of Softsynths, plug-ins, and DAW's Smile
rhydermike

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: (repost) Loud mechanical key noise Reply with quote

jorgemncardoso wrote:
rhydermike wrote:

Hi, welcome to the forum. There is really not much you can do to reduce that mechanical "noise" you describe. Unless your key felts are really very worn in and harden, witch probably is not the case, it's the normal noise for those keybeds.

Thanks a lot for the reply. That's the info that I needed. All in all, I love the Triton, but I think I may get a little external keyboard to use with the computer for night time use. Oh well, what's wrong with yet another little setup, eh? Thanks again.
EdK

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello rhydermike,

Found your posting on the forum. I know it's old and hopefully you'll see my posting.

I have a Triton Studio 88 key. I'm assuming the 61 key (yours) is made the same as the 88 key.

I need to replace the hard drive in mine but I can't figure out how to open the bottom the keyboard. I removed all the screws except those for the rubber feet. The bottom comes loose but it appears something is still attached to it inside and I didn't proceed any further.

The bottom on my 88 key Studio is made of wood. I'm assuming your 61 key is the same (made of wood). All the other Triton models (Pro, Classic, Extreme, etc), the bottom is a metal plate.

Can you provide any information?

Thanks....Ed
rhydermike

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdK wrote:

The bottom on my 88 key Studio is made of wood. I'm assuming your 61 key is the same (made of wood). All the other Triton models (Pro, Classic, Extreme, etc), the bottom is a metal plate.

Can you provide any information?

Thanks....Ed

Sorry Ed, I didn't see your message until today. My Triton Studio has a metal bottom plate. I'm afraid that I don't remember the exact procedure for removing the bottom plate. I just remember removing screws until the (very heavy) plate could be removed. I took some photos while I was doing it, and I've posted them up. Maybe this will give you some clues?

https://imgur.com/a/aV2R9

Sorry again about the delay in my reply.
EdK

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi rhydermike,

Thanks for replying. No problem. I didn't post that long ago anyway.

Thanks for the photos. Unfortunately they won't help. I enlarged one of your photos and noticed on the plate that has the serial number, that it's from a 61 key Studio. Mine is an 88 key. Apparently Korg placed a wood bottom on the 88 key instead of metal like yours.

I've been a little busy so haven't had the opportunity to try and remove the bottom again. The last time I tried, I removed all the screw (except for those that hold on the rubber feet. Was able to slide the bottom about an inch or so (because it fits under a 'lip' on one edge) but it seemed like something was still attached the bottom on the inside. I took a high powered LED flashlight to see if I could see anything but didn't have any luck. I'll try again in a few days. This time I'll remove the rubber feet as well. I doubt it will make any difference as it didn't seem the feet were attached to anything on the inside (i.e. the rubber feet were only attached to the bottom) but who knows.

I reached out to Korg a few months ago but they weren't able to help as the Triton has been out of production for about 10 years.

I've been Google-ing for quite some time to see if I could find anything on the internet regarding the 88 key model but no luck. The only thing I was able to find were a few photos and instructions of PRO-X or Classic model on a site called Bustedgear.

The reason I'm changing out the hard drive is because I think it is going bad. From time to time, it doesn't want to boot up. I have to power off/on several times and eventually it will complete the boot process. I can hear the drive spin up when power is turned on then I hear it spin down before the initial splash screen comes on. If the splash screen appears 99% of the time it will continue booting up and Combi A000 (Stereo Piano) appears. Once in a while, it will stop at the initial splash screen. Everytime it works, I hear the drive spin down after Combi A000 shows up. Everytime it doesn't work, I can hear the drive spin down before Combi A000n or the initial splash screen shows up. That's why I suspect the hard drive isn't working right.

I've been able to get into the diagnostic screen and run those but it doesn't indicate any problems. Probably because it only senses that the drive is present. Not if it's actually functioning.

If I don't have any luck, I will probably take it in for service. For now, I'm trying to avoid that because if I'm successful in removing the current drive, I want to hook it up to my computer and run some hardware tests and clone it to my new drive. I doubt a keyboard technician would do that for me. Perhaps I'm wrong (I hope that I am) but I'm hoping to give it a try myself first.

Ed
EdK

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are pictures of the bottom of my Studio

https://imgur.com/Suastay
https://imgur.com/t9lWsZL
rhydermike

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdK wrote:
Hi rhydermike,

Thanks for replying. No problem. I didn't post that long ago anyway.
Ed

Best of luck on finding a way of getting the bottom panel off. Do you know if it's the original panel or a replacement that someone made? There's a video here with a standard Triton that has a metal bottom panel like mine, but the floppy drive is attached to it:
https://youtu.be/aqXEBBoja20?t=4m52s

I guess you're wondering if there's something a bit like that going on?

My panel didn't slide out, it just lifted off.

I agree that you're probably right to try taking the rubber feet screws off as well.

I agree with you that it sounds like a hard drive that's at the end of its life. Ideally with mine, I'd like to replace the hard drive with something that's externally accessible so that I can transfer files to and from the computer.

Anyway, post back when you've done it as it will be interesting to hear what the layout actually was.
EdK

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure it's the original bottom. When I bought my keyboard, it was used but just barely. The Triton was still in production by Korg.

In the pictures I uploaded, you can see how the wood bottom slips under the wide lip along the top. You can also see a very clean cutout for the lever used to release the CD drive. The 'lip' is the keyboard side of the board.

Regarding your question on replacing the floppy drive, I was looking into that a while back myself and found these (among others)-

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=62150&sid=f964425a778b1d5866ee2f866e00d7e7

http://www.tritonhaven.com/downloads/docs/Tutorial_Triton_USB_Emulator.pdf

http://stephen-kay.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17824

I haven't tried it myself. Kind of a low-priority project as I keep an old computer around that has a floppy drive as my wife needs it for an old high-end programmable sewing machine.
EdK

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a pic of what my floppy/cd drive looks like

https://imgur.com/a/Iyioj

Neither the Floppy or cd drive are attached to the bottom panel.
Neural Tech

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: (repost) Loud mechanical key noise Reply with quote

jorgemncardoso wrote:
rhydermike wrote:

The Tritons use the Yamaha FS keybed, it's the same keybed that Korg has used on all the top pf the line workstations since the M1, it's made by Yamaha and used on all Yamaha's top workstations too ever since the DX7.
To me is simply the best semi-weighted keybed ever put on a synth, period! I grew up with these keybeds, M1, T3, 01W, Trinity, Triton. They changed the type of felts on later keybeds so it's a bit quieter than the old ones.
If you complain about the Triton key noise, you should play an M1, waay louder.
To me it never bothered me one bit, i prefer it a million times to these modern plasticky cheap keybeds they put on synths these days. Yes they are quieter, but they can't take a beating like the old ones did. So my advise is crank up the volume and stop worrying about it Razz

You can try to gently brush both felts with a soft brush, it can reduce the key noise a bit, but you'll have do disassemble the whole keybed, it's not that complicated but its very complex, and a looot of work. I should know, i've taken all of mine apart several times over the years for mainenance

I concur. It's never bothered me, but I can see how it might annoy some.
rhydermike

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: (repost) Loud mechanical key noise Reply with quote

[quote="Neural Tech"]
jorgemncardoso wrote:

I concur. It's never bothered me, but I can see how it might annoy some.

Basically, I raised the point to check to see if my Triton was normal in this respect. From what I've heard, it sounds like they all exhibit quite a bit of key noise. It's a shame as I can't use it at night in an upstairs room.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Classic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: