Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maximum length of Balanced Cables for live performance
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fjs714

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Maximum length of Balanced Cables for live performance Reply with quote

Hi Fellas,
I'm doing a live job with 2 QSC speakers. My Kronos is going to be a bit of a distance from one of them. How long cables could I get before the quality of the sound is effected (if at all)?
Thanks
Frank
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, the max length of balanced cables should be less than 20 meters, or approx. 65 feet. Better to be safe and not go beyond 50 to avoid signal loss.

..Joe
fjs714

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Joe
fjs714

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost forgot

Does it make any difference if both cables are different in length?
Thanks
philmagnotta

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't state by which device your kronos was connected in order that the signal has become "balanced" since the K doesn't have balanced outs.
You mentioned balanced cable so, I assumed you were connecting the K to another device such as a D.I. or un-balanced to balanced line driver, etc device. There is no 65 foot max limit on balanced cables. It depends on the sending and receiving device. In fact, some devices allow even a 200 foot run. Can you explain how it is your K is sending balanced signals please? Regarding different lengths... If only several feet, No but if 20, 30 or more then Yes but, it depends on a few more details, if you would be more specific.
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philmagnotta wrote:
You didn't state by which device your kronos was connected in order that the signal has become "balanced" since the K doesn't have balanced outs.

AFAIK it does via TRS. I just upgraded my live snake to TRS for the Kronos and while I haven't verified it with a dedicated a/b test, I believe there was more output as well!
LZ
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuSkoolTone wrote:
philmagnotta wrote:

AFAIK it does via TRS. I just upgraded my live snake to TRS for the Kronos and while I haven't verified it with a dedicated a/b test, I believe there was more output as well!

Typically you will get a hotter output running balanced, since the way the TRS connectors work, if you run unbalanced, you're essentially getting half the voltage, or 3dB less output.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Balanced outputs Reply with quote

philmagnotta wrote:
You mentioned balanced cable so, I assumed you were connecting the K to another device such as a D.I. or un-balanced to balanced line driver, etc device. There is no 65 foot max limit on balanced cables. It depends on the sending and receiving device. In fact, some devices allow even a 200 foot run. Can you explain how it is your K is sending balanced signals please? Regarding different lengths... If only several feet, No but if 20, 30 or more then Yes but, it depends on a few more details, if you would be more specific.

According to the manuals the inputs and outputs are definitely all 1/4" TRS balanced connections.
Korg Kronos 88, Korg M1, Novation SL61 MKII, Roland JV1080 with Techno expansion, Roland D110, Yamaha MU80, KRK Rokit 5 monitors, Akai ME30PII midi patch bay, Behringer RX1602 mixer, ESI ESP1010e audio interface, Quad Core PC, Cubase Pro 9.0, SE X1 condenser mic.

Guitars: Yamaha SG700, Ovation Applause electro-acoustic, Squier Strat, Roland micro cube amp.

Former: Roland Jupiter 6, Yamaha DX9, Akai X7000 sampler, Casio CZ1000, Roland SH101, Roland TR909, Roland MC500mk2, Emu Procussion.
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil:
There is no exact limited cable length, but using the standard 3dB signal loss over 100 feet without amplification of signal, and the fact that balanced IS 3dB of signal, then at 100 feet there is theoretically zero signal.

Which is why I stated limiting it to 50 feet.

..Joe
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50 feet is sensible for most semi-pro equipment. Shorter is usually preferred.
But depending on the equipment, cables can also run hundreds of feet without problems.
fjs714

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy,

You guys really know your stuff. I try to keep it simple. I connect the Kronos directly to my QSC speakers. I have one on either side of the drummer since he's in the middle of the stage. I also elevate them. That's why I wanted to know if different length Balanced cables (that's what I have) would affect the signal and thus the stereo sound.
Thanks again
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not noticeably, and especially not in the context.
iKeyborg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Maximum length of Balanced Cables for live performance Reply with quote

fjs714 wrote:
Hi Fellas,
I'm doing a live job with 2 QSC speakers. My Kronos is going to be a bit of a distance from one of them. How long cables could I get before the quality of the sound is effected (if at all)?
Thanks
Frank

Longest cable can have 300' - 400'. It is not a problem for Kronos outputs.
You would not see any difference if another cable is significantly shorter.
Kornos has balanced outputs with impedance 350 Ohm. It can drive 10000pf - 15000pF of cable capacitance with signal loss at 20kHz about 1dBV. Typical balanced cable has 25 - 35 pF/ft. With 3bBV high frequency loss you can go up to 1000ft with good cable.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fjs714 wrote:
Boy,

You guys really know your stuff. I try to keep it simple. I connect the Kronos directly to my QSC speakers. I have one on either side of the drummer sithe sweet spot in the stepnce he's in the middle of the stage. I also elevate them. That's why I wanted to know if different length Balanced cables (that's what I have) would affect the signal and thus the stereo sound.
Thanks again

that is an interesting way to monitor your keyboard. Does the drummer get upset when you blast him out because the speakers are closer to him than they are to you? How do you achieve the sweet spot in the stereo field for yourself?
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fjs714 wrote:
Boy,

You guys really know your stuff. I try to keep it simple. I connect the Kronos directly to my QSC speakers. I have one on either side of the drummer sithe sweet spot in the stepnce he's in the middle of the stage. I also elevate them. That's why I wanted to know if different length Balanced cables (that's what I have) would affect the signal and thus the stereo sound.
Thanks again

that is an interesting way to monitor your keyboard. Does the drummer get upset when you blast him out because the speakers are closer to him than they are to you? How do you achieve the sweet spot in the stereo field for yourself?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: