Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KROME -SOUND PROBLEM
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ddpianoman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do this fix but not being a software person I am afraid of losing all my programs when I load them unto the internal SD card and not having any sounds at all. I read the detailed instructions about how to save and transfer the current cards contents to the new SD Card but it looks kinda difficult. Can somebody help me understand better and give me an EXACT procedure? Sorry, but I am just worried! Smile
stale

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The process is very straight forward. It is documented step by step in this thread. You are copying your files to a new card and I put a link to the clean working copy. You will still have your old card if you were not happy with the results. It is very simple.

Here is rhall's very detailed description.

In hopes that I might be able to help someone else through the frustrating task of repairing their Korg Krome sound issues, here is what I did that seemed to work: (General disclaimers apply - I do not take responsibility for your repair, only my own. Wink

BE VERY CAREFUL!! There are several areas where you risk damaging your keyboard, Micro SD Card or even your computer.

NOTE: Not a bad idea to take some good pics along the way to remember where all the screw go etc.

Needed:
- Good Philips head screwdriver
- Fast Micro SD card (I used a SanDisk Ultra Plus 16Gb)
- Windows PC
- HDD Raw Copy Software - Download Here: http://download.cnet.com/HDD-Raw-Copy-Tool/3001-2094_4-75544749.html?hlndr=1
- Micro SD Adapter (if needed for computer)

1. Disconnect all cables including power and turn keyboard upside down to access the screws on the bottom. Be careful to protect the joystick when it is upside down. I padded my keyboard stand with towels and it worked great.
2. Spend a day taking out most of the screws. (OK a little sarcasm never hurt anyone.) Do not loosen the ones on the metal bar.
3. Carefully separate the bottom from the top taking special note of the connector between the two. After you have lifted the back portion about 6 inches or so, carefully pull the connector loose to completely separate the two pieces. Set the bottom aside carfully. Pay special attention to the joystick area and right-side cover as these are especially fragile.
4. Locate the old Micro SD Card slot (near middle of keyboard)
5. Carefully slide the metal casing that surround the Micro SD card toward the front of the keyboard to unlock.
6. Once the casing is unlocked, life the end nearest the front of the keyboard to access the Micro SD Card. (Take note of the positioning of the Micro SD Card)
7. Carefully remove the old Micro SD Card.
8. Insert Micro SD Card into computer using Adapter if necessary (You will receive a message that the card needs to be format. DO NOT FORMAT!! The card does NOT use a Windows readable File Structure)
9. On a Windows PC, download and run the HDD RAW Copy Software (If prompted for permission to run, click "Yes")
10. In the "Select Device Selection" Window click the entry representing your Micro SD Card and click "Continue"
11. In the "Target Device Selection" Window double-click, "Double-click to open file"
12. Navigate to the location where you would like to temporarily store the image from the Micro SD card, give it a file name (I'll call it KromeSD for our purposes), and click "Save"
13. Make sure the file name is as expected and click "Continue"
14. Double-check Source and Target. If OK click "Start"
15. Wait until status reads "100% complete"
16. You may now exit the program by click the "X" in the upper-right of the window
17. Eject the Old Micro SD card using the appropriate method for you Operating System
18. Insert the New Micro SD card
19. Run HDD Raw Copy software again. (If prompted for permission to run, click "Yes")
20. In the Source Device Selection window double-click "Double-click to open file)
21. Navigate to KromeSD.imgc (or whatever you named the old image file) and double-click on it.
22. Check the path name in the Select Device Selection window. If correct, click "Continue"
23. In the Target Device selection window, click the item that represents the new Micro SD card and click "Continue"
24. Verify the Source and Target for the file copy and click "Start".
25. Check the target again on the Caution window and if ok, click "Yes"
26. Wait until status reads "100% complete"
27. You may now exit the program by click the "X" in the upper-right of the window
28. Eject the New Micro SD card using the appropriate method for you Operating System
29. Carefully insert the new Micro SD card into the slot on your Krome being certain that the connectors on the SD card match up with the pins on the circuit board.
30. Carefully close the metal casing and slide forward to lock
31. Carefully replace the bottom of the keyboard making sure everything lines up and you have carefully reattached the connector cable to the circuit board.
32. OPTIONAL: At this point, I carefully turned the keyboard over, reconnected cables and tested. (It might be a little safer to add a few outer screws before doing this. Either way, be very careful.
33. Once satisfied that the repair is complete, carefully reassemble with ALL the screws Smile
34. ENJOY!

PS: If you want to short-cut steps 10-17, you may download my image file. I won't promise how long I can afford the space to keep it online, but at least for now, it is at: http://bit.ly/1VGTb5U

Also I posted a link with the image file as well It can be copied from here.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/thfn9wvrmdnvd7f/AABtyAyqHmWOgujsDsUuxENWa?dl=0

You can just load my image on the new card and replace it with the original card

This is very simple and worked on 2 different Krome's for me.
ddpianoman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx 'stale' for this shortcut. I think I can do it after studying anyway, but no need as I sent it back yesterday again. My question is do ALL of the Kromes have this problem now from the factory? My store says they have had no other returns or complaints. My 1st Krome 2 yrs ago did not have this issue. I'd like to hear from any other owners who use the piano patches alot to let me know if they have the issue. I am tempted to buy yet another one from somewhere else, but wondering if it will have the same issue. Question Question Question
ddpianoman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought another new one somewhere else. Let's see.......It should be here in a few days.
squall

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:02 am    Post subject: Thank you!!! Reply with quote

Thanks everyone who offered solutions. When the piano sounds on my preowned Krome started popping and dropping, my heart sank. I thought I spent all this money on a useless brick. I replaced the internal SD card with a better quality card, turned off the OSC2 setting, and problem solved! It's shameful that Korg hasn't figured this out and continues to waste customers' time and money on replacing the motherboard but using the same inferior SD card. Thanks again!!!
rivanho

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ddpianoman wrote:
I just bought another new one somewhere else. Let's see.......It should be here in a few days.

And ????
ddpianoman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: New Krome....same issue Reply with quote

I bought another one (my 4th) and it sounded perfect for the first 3 weeks. Now its started the popping and crackling as the other 3 did in the piano samples, especially when sequencing. Boy, this is ridiculous. Why doesn't Korg address this issue and fix this problem??????!!!! I guess I will have to do the fix on this one if I really want to keep the Krome. I cant send this one back.
ddpianoman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:38 am    Post subject: fix done and now...... Reply with quote

I have a intermittent static buzz that comes up when I use my sustain pedal through the piano patches. Did I do something wrong? Maybe I bought the wrong card? Sandisk Ultra PLUS (SDSDQUT016GA46) microSDHC 16GB Tablet Flash Memory Card.. I got it at Staples. I'm not sure if its a Class 10. Maybe that's the issue? Could somebody look it up that has made this repair and see if its wrong? Thx. Going crazy here.
stale

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the card I used.

http://www.amazon.com/PNY-Turbo-Performance-Speed-MicroSDHC/dp/B00N2ROGYO/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1453005494&sr=8-10&keywords=pny+micro+SD+card
ddpianoman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Got it...I think. Reply with quote

Seems as if I have it now. I originally used the link to the image posted by Stale. I had the static. I decided to start over from scratch and copy the image from my old original Sd Micro card to my hard drive and use it to put on the same new sd micro sandisk 16 GB I mentioned. It now works as it should. Hopefully it will continue. I don't think there was anything wrong with the image you posted Stale. I probably just didn't get a good install the 1st time. I just played it for two hours without issue and I am smiling now. I'll let you know if anything goes bad again. Fingers crossed.
PS>>>I did some research and my new Sd micro card is a class 10.
ddpianoman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:22 am    Post subject: Has anybody experienced this happening? Reply with quote

I was told today by someone who owns a 73 key that the noise issue isnt caused by the Internal SD Card. He said a "Korg Service Alert" said that the problem is a faulty SD Card interface board, not the card itself. He said the tech explained it to him and that everybody who just replaced the card is just doing a temp fix and it will start the noise again... I have not heard about this. I fixed my 61 key several months ago and it is still great. No issues at all. Has anybody else had this problem after they did the fix?
madahorn

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject: New Blue Krome 1.03 in shop for sound problem 1st day. Reply with quote

Brand new in box blue Krome (although, I have heard the blue ones were all made in 2013?) Anyway, shipped with current firmware update and new sealed box, etc. Same sound problem with sustain on piano patches. Brought to M-Troniks in Chandler AZ to service. I told them I knew about the SD card issue...I assume Korg will let them know if there is more than just the SD card wrong...I hope...
It is so fun paying for a new keyboard just to have to send to repair on day 1. Argh!
aliaksej

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanna purchase Korg Krome, but this sound issue doen't let me to sleep.
Is problem with noise generally resolvable? Is card replacing solving problem finally or problem returns?
I choose between moxf and krome. Currently I prefer moxf due to known bug of krome.
Also in musical shop manager says that they sold about 100 kromes and there were no kromes with problems. Can I rely on seller's statements?
madahorn

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg fixed mine under warranty. Yes, they just replace the SD card inside. Now it starts up 20 seconds faster and no sound problems at all. So, some of the new ones will still have a problem from what I know. Although, mine was an anniversary edition so maybe it was someone hold stock. But, it was version 1.03 firmware.
wahey

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just changed the SD-card and it's working fine since. And yes, I still love it, fantastic instrument Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 9 of 15

Jump to: