Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KROME -SOUND PROBLEM
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
orthogonal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rivanho wrote:
orthogonal wrote:
Note, I've also tried it with a different set of monitors and with various different piano sounds and got the same static problem.
I also had this kind of static distortion together with popping and cut-off piano sounds until I replaced the SD card with a good brand class 10 (Sandisk).
-->> A lot of cheep brands SD cards are not up to the "class 10" speed they promise Sad

If you only have it on piano sounds it means the card you use cannot cope fast enough with the very big piano samples in the Krome.
If you also have it on other sounds (with smaller samples) then it can be some other problem. I only had it on piano sounds and when pressing the sustain pedal.

I did replace the SD card though. This is the card I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036V9AGU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I believe it was recommended on this forum.

I'm seriously so frustrated right now, I'm about to take a hammer to this damn instrument. I'm trying to play some nice little Debussy piece and right at the most subtle and tense part, PFFTSTSTTHHHH! Makes me want to scream!

Is there a better card I should use? Maybe there's some other solution? I should note that I didn't have the static sound with the previous card so it may be a card issue, before I had the popping and no static while now I have the static and no popping.
mplata

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: did it Reply with quote

I needed an hour to change a flash and its work for now!
Thank you!!!

Use electrical screw! its faster!
orthogonal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed for my static issue that it is only with certain instruments.
Additionally, the static is a different tone for different instruments.
I can reproduce pretty easily by holding down the damper pedal and simply playing G + Bb + D a few times.

Do the following pianos have static?
KROME Grand Piano: Yes
E. Piano Mark 1 R&B: No
E.P. Mark V Distortion: No
E. Piano Dyno Chorus: No
Reed EP 200A Wah: No
Clav Register AD: No
German Bright Grand: No
German Dark Grand: Yes
KROME Warm Piano: No
KROME Dark Piano: Yes
Singer Grand Piano: Yes
Live Stage Piano: No
German Grand Reverb: Yes
German New Age Grand: Yes
KROME Comp Mono Piano: Yes
Acoustic Piano: No
Classic Piano: Yes
Attack Piano: No
Upright Piano: No
Honkey Tonkey: No
M1 Piano: No
SG-1D Piano: No

I'm using the image file that stale posted on here earlier. Perhaps certain samples of my pianos are incorrect? As with my previous SD card (the manufacturer's one) I was not having this problem. If I don't receive any replies within a week I will try to copy my image from my manufacturer's card onto this card, replacing stale's image, and see if that helps.

Hoping for some ideas though.
stale

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will check mine on Wed, as I don't have access to it right now. I will check the list and let you know my findings.

Also the thing I looked for in an SD card was the rate. The Kingston you bought is a good brand, but only has a 30MB/s read rate. the card I chose was much faster.

I bought this card.

https://www.amazon.com/PNY-Turbo-Performance-Speed-MicroSDHC/dp/B00N2ROGYO/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1479797818&sr=1-2&keywords=pny+16gb+microsd

It has a 90MB/sec rate. It is much quicker. the faster the transfer, the less chance for read errors or overloading the sample transfer.
orthogonal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stale wrote:
I will check mine on Wed, as I don't have access to it right now. I will check the list and let you know my findings.

Also the thing I looked for in an SD card was the rate. The Kingston you bought is a good brand, but only has a 30MB/s read rate. the card I chose was much faster.

I bought this card.

https://www.amazon.com/PNY-Turbo-Performance-Speed-MicroSDHC/dp/B00N2ROGYO/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1479797818&sr=1-2&keywords=pny+16gb+microsd

It has a 90MB/sec rate. It is much quicker. the faster the transfer, the less chance for read errors or overloading the sample transfer.

Thanks, I have bought the new card you recommended and will try it when it arrives after Thanksgiving.
stale

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through the list of patches, but did not have the static described.
M. Keys

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my Krome88 for 3 years. I'm having the same sound problems (notes cuttin off, poppin and static noises) when I'm using Keyboard A000 thru A0062. Also having noisy keys issue (sounds like they're loose or something). I've been reading blogs on this forum dating back over 4 years. It seems like a common problem. I purchased the extended warranty, so it's still covered. Motherboards have been replaced but sound problem seems to come back, according to everyone's blog. The faster reading microSD replacement, according to everyone, seems to fix the problem. I'm
shipping my Krome88 off in a week to have it repaired while still under warranty. My question is, do the service centers know to replace SD card as a permanent fix ? It's a hassle shipping it off and only want to do it once, and how long should I expect it to be gone ?
rovito

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, There is a service bulletin from Korg about the cutoff and screen issue. I had mine serviced just a few weeks ago with a new card sent from Korg as well as a new part for the screen. My service guy said Korg would have likely fixed it even out of warranty if you contact a service center and ask about the bulletin.
M. Keys

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the quick response. That answer makes me feel better about turning it in for service.
Checke4192

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: I cant download Windisk on my mac Reply with quote

For the longest I've been trying to get this issue fixed on my SDcard but I cant download Windisk on my Mac. I searched for other programs to use but none have worked. Is there anything else I can do to get this fixed?
Savante

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm considering buying a new Korg Krome 61, but the long litany of service issues described in this thread have me concerned. I'm in a remote rural area with no easy access to a Korg Service Center. If there are any problems, I would have to send off the unit for repair.

Does anyone know if Korg has addressed these problems so that buying a new Krome now would be a safe bet? Have they upgraded the internal SD card to one of sufficient speed and quality to avoid many of the problems described here?

If Korg has issued a service bulletin about these issue (the SD card, and perhaps others), does that mean that have upgraded new instruments to avoid these problems? Or not?

I will be using the high-demand pianos a lot. Am I likely just asking for trouble?

Thank you for any views you might have on buying a new Krome now. I'm sure I'll have no problem with appreciating the sound and features -- I've owned lots of Korg synths in the past and love them. What I am concerned about is the reliability of a new Krome now.

Thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak2eL_0rCBE&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX1fHKsjwaA&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pmp3sR91ak&feature=channel

First-ever synth I owned: Korg DW-8000, Current Korg gear: Korg Kronos 2; Korg Minilogue XD; Korg Krome EX; Korg Nautilus 61
Savante

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checking again...

Does anyone know if Korg has fixed the problem with the faulty micro SD cards? Do new units now ship with a better quality, faster micro SD card so that the problems described at length in this thread are no longer happening?

Thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak2eL_0rCBE&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX1fHKsjwaA&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pmp3sR91ak&feature=channel

First-ever synth I owned: Korg DW-8000, Current Korg gear: Korg Kronos 2; Korg Minilogue XD; Korg Krome EX; Korg Nautilus 61
mpkrome2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Static for me too Reply with quote

orthogonal,

Did you ever fix your static issue on those patches? I have the exact same problem. I replaced my SD card. It did not fix it. It's quite a pain to avoid using those sounds.

Thanks.
furqat.maestro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Krome problem((( Reply with quote

Replace the microSD card, did not help ...
Here's the video: https://youtu.be/NJ_teSYo0G8
What could it be ...?
downtownpaulyp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased an open box 73-key Krome (mint, but saved $200 Very Happy), and first thing I did before even powering up was replace the micro SD card.

I can confirm the one I removed was a no-name micro SD marked as Class 10, but figured I'd replace it anyway since I'd already spent $12 for a decent SanDisk and had gone through the trouble of opening the unit up.

Furqat, what I hear on your video is not the sound of slow memory--it sounds like a defective DAC (Digital-to-Analog Converter), very similar to the sound of samples played back at a very low bitrate.

For example, in your DAW program, try recording something and then add an effect called bit crushing, which artificially reduces sampling resolution to make this strange, crunchy distortion effect. You'll notice it sounds similar to a sample played back with some small resolution like 4 bits.

Here's an example of Bit Crusher in Cubase, which demonstrates the effect:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkgw6oJMuq8

Your Krome, unfortunately, will require service. Hope it's under warranty!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 11 of 15

Jump to: