Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Resampling on ESX1 + slicing question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
richbeemPOW

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:16 am    Post subject: Resampling on ESX1 + slicing question Reply with quote

Hi, I'm trying to move some stuff around on my ESX1 and i need to resample some drum hits and other sounds, im wondering, when I resample, does it record the tube distortion? Does it modify the existing sound, i mean does it lose quality?

Also, when i slice samples, and press individual sounds, i hear some delay going, like the samples are repeating or something, some samples seem to Bug out and play eternally, any idea why?
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it does not resample the actual analog outputs, it happens entirely in the digital domain.

Not sure about the other problem, I don't really use slices.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
richbeemPOW

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the fast answer xtrade, appreciated!
djcactus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to use slice samples like Sauce had suggested, did allow you to save hundreds of samples on the tribe with space to spare.

Slices can warp the audio, a few variables can be when two samples are close so the tail of one sample is slapped on the front of another, or depending on how many slices you tell it to read for.

What im saying is, you could potentially change the sound while slicing, if you are looking to use the samples from your slice samples check out this tutorial. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGctUPri1ew
robosardine
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably have your sample set to- 'loop' - manual p 23- which is why it keeps repeating. It should only play as a one shot on the drum parts- as opposed to the keyboard parts- this will tell you if that is the problem.
sauce
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The slice function loops a tiny bit of the end of the slice if the unit detects any audio there, to avoid abrupt cutoffs. In other words, if the audio has a clean fade there will be no loop, but if there is any audio at the slice point there will be looping. It's a silly feature but one that breeds cool results sometimes and also can be tamed with the EG.
sqz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

remember that resampling adds a tiny bit of silence in the beginning.
Always when resampling beats, I have to truncate 1120 samples from the start to make the beats snap into the same position.
Not a problem when you keep it mind.
But if you've ever wondered why your transients of your mix sound different after resampling a beat..thats would be the reason Smile
sqz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
It's a silly feature but one that breeds cool results sometimes and also can be tamed with the EG.

agreed.
Offtopic but: I've abused this feature to create seamless loops for live drone music.
Example: create complex chordstabs with lots of treble harmonics, and slice them in such a way that you get this looping-behaviour for every slice.
Then save the sample. Do this for many samples.
You can perform dronemusic by creating one drone-pattern like so: select the slice part, select the first sample (slice:all),enable the keyboard, turn the pitch down, and send it to a reverb+moddelay chain (drone glue).
Just set the modtype to envelope, and create an fadein-attack for note onsets, also set the decay-type to envelope so it has a smooth note-off release.
Play the keyboard of the slice part..Happy droning! Very Happy

(Btw. you can change drone sounds by just changing the sample manually)
sauce
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I wrote that it's a silly feature, but it is actually there so sliced beats will sound fluid when played at different tempos and pitch. For instance, if you recorded a drumloop at 80bpm, sliced it, then played it back at 120, it would sound "choppy" if the slices were played back as-is since the slices would be too short to reach the triggering of the next slice. This would be further compounded if it were pitched up a few notes.

Here's another hint.. Have you ever seen my YouTube tutorial about loading full, large drum kits into the ESX and chopping them up to save sample slots? You can do the same thing with synth waves as long as there is no silence between slices. Make sure they are all in the key of C and, if there is no slices, this slice-looping feature will give you solid synth waves.
sauce
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sqz wrote:
You can perform dronemusic by creating one drone-pattern like so: select the slice part, select the first sample (slice:all),enable the keyboard, turn the pitch down, and send it to a reverb+moddelay chain (drone glue).
Just set the modtype to envelope, and create an fadein-attack for note onsets, also set the decay-type to envelope so it has a smooth note-off release.
Play the keyboard of the slice part..Happy droning! Very Happy

(Btw. you can change drone sounds by just changing the sample manually)

Sweet!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: