Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What additional info in a PCG/syx file you would like?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: What additional info in a PCG/syx file you would like? Reply with quote

What additional information would you like to be stored or do you miss in a PCG/sysex file if you could design it yourself?

(e.g. per file: description, author, copyright info, ...)
(e.g. per program/combi bank: date of creation, ...)
(e.g. per program/combi: description, author, ...)

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
johnroney

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: for pcg tools Reply with quote

hi michel... i started using your pcg tools finally... i bought a little netbook pc for touring.
it would be great to have 'drag and drop'.
it's again rather clumsy to have to 'UP' and "DOWN' your selection through an entire set of 128 patches.

plus, moving MULTIPLE patches this way would be ideal. SELECT, and DRAG to new location.
even!... SELECT and DRAG from folders on the desktop for individual patches/combis. that is the way the Microkorg XL editor funcions.. it's rather good that way.

i would also suggest other 'mass editing' techniques... select multiple patches and assign them to different GROUPS or CATEGORIES, and even MOVE them between BANKS.... would be nice.

good software though... a step up from the editor librarian.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: for pcg tools Reply with quote

johnroney wrote:
hi michel... i started using your pcg tools finally... i bought a little netbook pc for touring.
it would be great to have 'drag and drop'.
it's again rather clumsy to have to 'UP' and "DOWN' your selection through an entire set of 128 patches.

plus, moving MULTIPLE patches this way would be ideal. SELECT, and DRAG to new location.
even!... SELECT and DRAG from folders on the desktop for individual patches/combis. that is the way the Microkorg XL editor funcions.. it's rather good that way.

i would also suggest other 'mass editing' techniques... select multiple patches and assign them to different GROUPS or CATEGORIES, and even MOVE them between BANKS.... would be nice.

good software though... a step up from the editor librarian.

Thank you very much, I'm glad you like it.

About your comments:
- Drag & Drop would indeed be very nice and usable for programs ... however, for combis and set list slots it results in a lot of complications, like what if you drag & drop combis ... where will the programs go? Maybe I could use some nice alternative like dragging/dropping from the clipboard. I would have to think about this feature.

- About multiple movement: I once had it implemented but due to some design problems I had to switch it off ... I will probably implement it when I'm going to redesign the GUI (internally), but that might not be soon (takes a lot of time and does not add real features for quite some time).

- About the up/down button: you can use the numeric 2 and 8 keys, which makes it easier. Also page up/down should work to easily move to another part of the bank.

- I don't know what you mean with groups, however, I would like to have such features to select e.g. all patches in one or more banks from a specific category, or only favorites, or only with some (part of a ) name in the patch name and make them copyable or editable.

For all items: if not already, I will put them in the wish list since I think they are all very good improvements, so thanks for the input!

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
johnroney

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

groups... i meant to say 'categories'... like strings/brass etc....

you might really want to check the interface for the microkorg xl editor...
it is pretty much the same idea as the microstation and other korg editors, but it has a bit more fluidity to it... drag/drop, etc... and shifting paramaters from one synth to another. it's really slick.
i imagine that the answer to 'where do the programs go?' would be the same as it is at the moment - the programs would just move up/down a slot, or ask you if you want to re-write the information on that slot...
have you seen the Sv1 editor? it's kinda like that...
johnroney
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnroney wrote:
groups... i meant to say 'categories'... like strings/brass etc....

you might really want to check the interface for the microkorg xl editor...
it is pretty much the same idea as the microstation and other korg editors, but it has a bit more fluidity to it... drag/drop, etc... and shifting paramaters from one synth to another. it's really slick.
i imagine that the answer to 'where do the programs go?' would be the same as it is at the moment - the programs would just move up/down a slot, or ask you if you want to re-write the information on that slot...
have you seen the Sv1 editor? it's kinda like that...
johnroney

However, afaik the microKorg does not have combis and no set list slots .. in that case it is very easy to implement drag & Drop. The problem is not so much to move inside a bank but outside, especially to another file. And I'm sure if I make drag & drop inside a file, everybody will ask for drag & drop outside a file. I need to think further about copy & pasting.

I never checked the SV1 editor ... I will do (when I have a bit more time).
Thanks for that notification.

Mr_SamDoogie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Getting most out of PCG on the microstation Reply with quote

A combi was a set of sounds with arp on my synth when I press the combi button, Thanks to this library of arpeggio's and rhythms you can create new songs without doing it yourself to start with.

I never looked into the whole picture of the combi file format and how its manage on the synth and the other stuff I'm starting to learn the bits of detail still not near enough although I believe the real magic starts there.

Actually I think we need a crash-course *.pcg file format how to manage it getting most of it a few basic's. I'm starting to learn a few things managing combi's programs etc but not near enough to maximize most out of my synth. Rich Formidoni does amazing video's of FAQ stuff like this which is a help but I would like to see more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: