Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help integrating Kronos and Casio PX-5S

View previous topic :: View next topic  
soundspossible

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Help integrating Kronos and Casio PX-5S Reply with quote

I was hoping to write this awesome how-to post, but it has instead become a cry for help because I can't figure this out!

My live setup includes a Kronos 61 and Casio PX-5S. I've got bi-directional MIDI and I'm using both boards as tone generators (I could into why I like getting sound from each, but that's not really what this post is about). I've got all my Kronos combis setup to send program changes to the PX-5S. This works fine, and it is exactly what I desire. I can also control the Kronos from the PX-5S without issue. Again, exactly what I want.

Here's where the problem starts. The Kronos always transmits note data from the global ch. I happen to have this set to 16. The result is that the PX-5S part set to ch 16 gets played by the Kronos. I don't want the Kronos to play the PX-5S. The PX-5S stage settings always have tones responding to 5-16 and the only way to disable them is to use the Mixer function. However, the mixer settings are NOT saved at power-down, so I have to remember to do this every time.

I tried changing the Kronos global ch to 4, since I can save how the PX-5S responds to that channel. Unfortunately, the PX-5S also transmits program changes from 1-4, so it throws off the Kronos if I need to change patches on the PX-5S. Turning off program change in the Kronos global settings fixes that, but then the Kronos also doesn't transmit program change, defeating the whole purpose of my setup.

So, I realize I could use the Kronos as my sole tone generator and just use the PX-5S as a controller. I could also set the Mixer settings every time or just forget about sending program changes to the Casio. All of these would "solve" the problem. But I am not ready to give up.

Any ideas or Karma voodoo would be appreciated. Thanks for reading the long post!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: