Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thinking of getting the Kross 61 but have some questions.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lefttygtr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Thinking of getting the Kross 61 but have some questions. Reply with quote

First time here but after reading some of the post I am hopping I get get some great help. I am a guitar player first for many years but because our band has 2 I like to pick up some keys for songs, so I need to help on a keyboard I am thinking about. I had been looking at the Korg Krome, watched many videos and did have the chance to play on it for some time but I came across the Kross and it sounds like a really nice keyboard and a bit cheaper.

My needs are: decent piano and organ sounds that will sounds good live. Synth sounds for classic rock, dance, top 40 stuff. Favorite banks for patches. The ability to create new sounds even though I rarely do, mostly I like to tweak with existing ones. Layering on multiple sounds and multiple splits on the keys and the ability to edit from a standalone editor on my computer.

I know both sound great but for simplicity reasons the Kross sounds better, I am just worried about the sounds being on par or close to what the Krome sounds like and some of the layering capabilities. So any suggestions.
tommymandel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to me it sounds like the perfect fit for your specific needs. Also smaller footprint on stage than the Krome.
lefttygtr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, so how are the voices on the Kross compared to the Krome.
iluvchiclets

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi lefttygtr,

I actually prefer the sounds on the Kross to the Krome.

The Krome has more refined and, perhaps "richer" sounds to it, but the variety is not there. A simple look at the piano samples shows that there are only a couple of waveforms to choose from.

One play on the Kross, and you will see there are many, many different variations of piano to choose from. Granted, they are not in the same league as the large-samples provided in the Krome, but I find them just as expressive and satisfying if I close my eyes, or listen to them recorded. It's the variety that I really liked.

Back to your original topic, you mentioned decent pianos and organs. I would say the Kross has very good pianos, but only decent organs. The organs are voiced quite unique to fit into a band context, but on their own they sound simple. Korg has done a great job making "stage" piano voicings as well as "stage" organ voicings. If you are a dedicated organist you will find better emulators out there.

...but for the price, I found the Kross to be unbeatable.
lefttygtr

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, i got my Kross today and yeah overall happy. I am a guitar player first, flirt with the keys so most of my playing is synth, strings, combi stuff. The organs are ok not great but more then good enough for a bar type band. I did really like the Krome with all the bells and whistles but right now maybe a bit much for what I really need plus I was able to get close to 20% off the 61 key version Kross. If I was a full time keyboard player I could see where the Krome could be a better choice but you were right a lot of the sounds eyes closed are a close match.
tommymandel

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Enjoy. PS. glad to hear the Kross pianos have something on the Krome ones - makes me feel better. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: