Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg M50 and Sony Acid Music Studio 10

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SBarry

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject: Korg M50 and Sony Acid Music Studio 10 Reply with quote

Hey guys, I just got a new computer and software to work with my workstation, but I have no idea how to work it. I have experience playing the M50 as a standalone keyboard, but this is new to me. Could someone help me with the basics, e.g. making ACID recognize my midi controller, adding the M50's sounds to the program, editing, etc?

I have a Yamaha UX16 midi-usb interface with the newest drivers from Yamaha, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks a lot! Very Happy
SBarry

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anyone around? Confused I could really use some help with this Smile
dimitra

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think you need that Yamaha UX16... it is just a MIDI interface, as far as I can see, and M50 has inbuilt MIDI connectivity. Just connect it over USB to your laptop/PC, and MIDI should be taken care of. For audio, you need an audio interface, for sure. Now, I have no idea how Sony Acid music studio works, but assuming it is a regular DAW, you do need an audio interface, or some other hardware for getting audio out from the M50 to audio input of the DAW.
SBarry

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But doesn't the midi interface allow the midi signal to enter the computer? If I already have the midi interface why would I need another cable?
dimitra

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But doesn't the midi interface allow the midi signal to enter the computer?

What I meant to say is that a regular type-B to type-A USB cable hooked up from the back of your M50 (USB port) to a USB port on your computer can do the same. If you still prefer to use the Yamaha cable, that should work as well.
SBarry

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, okay Smile

Well, I'm having an issue getting the music studio to recognize the Korg as a midi controller...actually, the computer has an issue recognizing anything korg related at all Confused

What does show up is that the Yamaha interface is connected to the computer, despite my installation of the latest korg midi drivers (filename KorgUSB-MIDI_DRV_PC_1_14R4.zip). What I need to know is how to make my DAW, or better yet, my computer, recognize my Korg. Does that help a bit?

My system specs are: Win 8.1, Dell Inspiron 14, 8GB RAM, stock graphics and sound cards.
dimitra

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be out of my depth here, as I have still stuck on Windows XP so far.
But I think the problem could be that you dont have the Korg USB drivers installed. Checked Korg's website if they have Windows 8 drivers for M50. Secondly, try connecting the M50 directly through USB (without the Yamaha MIDI connector). I think the Korg drivers assume that you would be using a normal USB connector to connect to your computer.
Ajbbklyn

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The USB-MIDI driver is designed to recognize a USB device. The computer cannot see the M50 if MIDI is being routed through the Yamaha UX-16. The M50 needs to be connected directly to the computer via USB.

That said, you do know that you would still need to connect the audio output from the M50 to your setup in order to get the M50's sounds into your computer. MIDI only transmits information (e.g., "note on", "note off", "duration" etc.)
SBarry

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I finally got the right USB cord for it, and it does recognize my pressing the keys...but that's about it. I can't, for the life of me, figure out how let the DAW use the M50's sounds. As I said, I am new to this.
dimitra

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, Barry,
Good that your laptop now recognizes M50. If you want to use it just as a MIDI controller, then you're good to go. Just load up a soft-synth in your DAW, and play the M50.
However, I think you want the M50 sounds to be recorded, right? For that, you need an additional USB audio interface. You can also try plugging in the audio output of the M50 to the line In of your sound card, but that is not the best way to record. Get a 2-channel audio interface, and connect it to the M50 audio outs. Just Google around for which audio interface works best with your Acid. I personally use M-Audio Fast Track, but my DAW is Pro Tools.
SBarry

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering then, did you have any advice as to what type of interface to get? I'm on a student budget, but I'd prefer something that's simple to use and has a low latency.
dimitra

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally use something like this

http://www.maudio.co.uk/products/en_gb/AvidRecordingStudio.html

It is low-budget and good value, as you get both the hardware audio interface, and a very useful DAW (Pro Tools) along with it. Note that it does have it's limitations, for e.g. there's just one 1/4 jack input to hook up your keyboard to. This means that you will be recording in mono. You can still do stereo by panning mono tracks in the DAW, so it's not a limitation per se. However, there are many programs on the M50 that have a stereo effect, for e.g. the pianos usually sound on the right channel when you play higher, and on the left channel when you play lower notes. Some pads have a stereo left-to-right panning motion which makes it interesting. Such effects would be lost. Nevertheless, since you say that you are on a budget, I think this should be a good option. But do look around - search Amazon, talk to your local music store guy. Maybe there is something even better for this price.
SBarry

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any AI for under 300 bucks that will allow me to record stereo? The more inputs the merrier.

Is there also a way to upload my Korg's soft-synths to my DAW?
dimitra

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your location (NJ), I assume it is 300 US dollars. That's a pretty decent budget for a Audio Interface. The one I use is around 100 USD, so I'm sure you can get more inputs for your budget. Anything form the M-Audio/Avid family should be good. Also, Roland has a decent set of audio I/F's. Again, try searching in Google/Amazon for available products in this range, and also check Youtube reviews, if available.
Ricky_jcr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the exact same problem with my Korg Krome. The thing to remember is that USB for Korg workstations does not support audio, so all you can do by connecting your synth to the PC, is control VSTs.

I'm in the market for an audio interface as well. M-Audio looks good, but I do need stereo. What I got from some other members out on the Krome forum is: Lexicon Alpha and one from Focusrite(although the one which fits my budget has just two inputs).

I'm on a student budget as well, so value for money does kinda seal the deal for me.

Cheers Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: