Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not holding price too well.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
magikroom

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Not holding price too well. Reply with quote

Was following this on e-bay and was surprised it went for £500. Bearing in mind the seller has to pay essentially 10% fees, it's quite an eye opener. Of course, gear does depreciate, but was wondering if the lack of support or promotion of this synth has affected the price? While I know us users are happy with the sounds etc it is a concern to me in case I want to change in the future and not just give it away.

Granted, I didn't pay full price, but still is a great amount to lose in such a short time. The only other synth I had where I lost a lot on was the Korg M3, but the Kronos essentially took it out, what's with this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111349340597?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648
Korg Kronos 73, KingKorg, Arp Odyssey, X5DR, Roland System 1m, Juno 6, JX-3P, JX-10, MKS-50, D10, Moog Sub Phatty, Novation Bass Station 2, DSI Prophet 08, Tetra, Analogue Solutions Telemark V2 and Leipzig-S, Nord Lead A1, Dreadbox Erebus, Waldorf Pulse, NI Maschine, Komplete 9 Ultimate, Arturia SparkLe, Beatstep, Spectrasonics Omnisphere U-HE Diva (Best Soft Synth ever) + other Softsynths
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resale value is determined mainly by supply/demand and the competing available products. I guess it just means that many people are selling them for some reason.
JPWC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's alright, mine is not for sale! Because I am keeping it!
Kronos-6, Krome, M3, Radias, KingKorg, microKorg, KP-2, KP-3, KO-1, KO-1 PRO, Karma, microX, monotron, monotribe, PadCONTROL, Wavedrum Mini, Volca Keys, Beats, Bass, Sample, monotron Duo & Delay, microArranger, M1, Wavestation, Volca Sample, Keys, Beats & Bass, MS-20

JD-XA, JD-Xi, Aira (system 1, TB3, TR8, MX-1), Prophet 12, Mopho X4, Jupiter-80, FA-06, D50, CS1x, CZ101, DX200, AN200, analogFOUR, MachineDrum, MonoMachine, Motif XF6, Virus Snow, Nord Lead 2X, OP-1, MFOS, Tenori-on, QY100, QY70, meeblip se, miniBrute, microBrute, Bass Station 2
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap build, no aftertouch, I'd say 500 quid is about the right price Razz
r0mulus

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the KK for what it is- a very versatile 24 voice synth/EP combo with a fairly complete fx section. It makes nice basses, nice pads, nice leads and can cover a really valuable collection of vintage keyboard instruments. You'd be surprised how few options out there really cover this territory. The only really realistic competitor I can think of with such a feature set is a Nord Stage. Maybe some of the triton series and the like can do this stuff, but I don't feel like those boards are really as geared towards live performance. It's definitely a debatable point.

Anyways, most people that make the kind of music that this thing is intended to make do NOT have the kind of keyboard performance skills that this thing is geared towards.

I absolutely agree that a prophet12 with a full suite of outboard fx is going to sound incredible, beyond what the KK's capabilities are, especially since it only has one filter.

However, for what I do, it's great to have something that can cover synthy ambience AND have enough voices to pull of a cascading fender rhodes, something i couldn't come close to doing with a prophet or my alesis ion.

I guess I'd suggest that the price/value is only realized by a small set of players with specific needs for an all-in-one performance related board. As such I don't think the market demand will reflect true value for this item. It's a bit of a tweener but at a very nice price when you consider the only real competitor is a nord stage, at least three times the price.

If you are just doing some simple sequencing with fx through your daw, I honestly would recommend just getting a DSI Tetra and buying some cool fx. You can always overdub multiple passes if you need the extra voices. However, in a live situation, that is unfortunately not an option.

Though the architecture is pretty solid, there is a lot of room for improvement. The midi implementation is pretty weak compared to the alesis ion, theres no standalone envelope generator you can assign to parameters without also being tied to either the pitch or filter, which is a weakness. There is no dry/wet for FX. Also, it would nice if there were some midi control for the tube. Gain staging internally could be handled a bit more delicately as well. I haven't seen any indication that Korg is going to do updates which is sad, but, I hope they do and encourage them to do it.

Anyways, in a sea of imperfect options, it's a really great board if you have specific needs and less than unlimited budget. It definitely is capable of a wide range of professional quality sounds. It is also very good for live performance. The standard patches are kinda tacky, but, if you can't coax better sounds from it, well, thats a whole other more personal problem, one definitely not imposed by the "limitations" of this hardware.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a brand new one for $1,000. My local music store is having a big sale on a lot of equipment. They do this twice a year and have a no interest for 6 months financing plan. I thought the price was fine. Didn't want a used one.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
YorkshireLad

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked a mint condition 2 month old KingKorg for £580, can't complain at that!

I do think it sounds a little bit sterile in places but on the whole it's a nice bit of kit with it's own character that will add some nice new sounds to my existing setup.

-Fordy

Gear: Nord Wave, Korg Radias, Novation Supernova II, Roland V-Synth GT, Moog Voyager Select, Nord Lead A1, Arturia Spark LE, Arturia Spark LE, Behringer Virtualizer 3d (x2), Lexicon MX400.
Vampyre

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Price will always go down after a new synth is used... sometimes a seller is motivated to sell quick.

I am sure they will be cases of cheap ones to be found. I see it all the time with any gear.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still see them going for $1,349 in stores. I bought mine new on sale for $1,150. I'm not so worried about what I can sell mine for though. I'm not planning on getting rid of it any time soon I think there is still a huge area sound sculpting wise that I haven't even touched.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
stephenwiley

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grabbed a brand new, still sealed KK for $800 off ebay. 5x ebay bucks was also going on so I got $80 in ebay bucks, bringing the total to $720 for a brand new KingKorg. The guy had it listed for $899 OBO, I offered $800 honestly not expecting him to accept, but he did! So thrilled.

My opinion doesn't mean much because I have not owned the synth, but from a features standpoint and the general census on build quality, the asking price of $1299 does seem high. The synth should probably be closer priced to something like a StudioLogic Sledge which goes for 899-999.

I'm extremely happy I was able to get mine so cheap. Would have probably paid up to $900 for a KK, but obviously the lesser I can get it for the better!

Should be here next Tuesday....can't wait!
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Very Happy
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw it on the Long and McQuade's website now at $799.
Oh well. Dropping down to half price pretty fast. Maybe Korg is planning on something to replace it. I still like mine a lot though. I can't see myself selling it. Especially at this drop in price for a new one.
kkorgian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ref Not holding price too well.

Good news to me ! that means i can pick up a spare one nice n cheap
Vampyre

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get a KingKorg at a good price grab it! Lot of fun with this synth and the effect sections is a blast to mess with real time.
skinmechanic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep monitoring the KK and looking at the price drop, in the UK there as cheap currently at some outlets for £580 GBP. The only reason I haven't taken the plunge is I'm mainly studio based, I have a DSI Mopho x4 which takes care of the Prophet 5 and some cases Oberheim filters of the KK, I also have the Jupiter 50 which gives me the vintage keys (Rhodes etc) and Lush Pads that I could most likely get from a KK. A lack of Editor stops me from picking one up, also put off with some of the poor PCM waveforms in there which seem to be identical to the waveforms in the Roland Juno DI. So I'm still not sure what it would give me, although I do like the realtime controls and instant access to tweaking it has, so not decided.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KingKORG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: