Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Choosing and altering only one sound from a percussion kit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Learner'sPermit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject: Choosing and altering only one sound from a percussion kit Reply with quote

Can anyone help me with the steps involved to take only a cuica sound from the brazilian percussion kit to use in a combi I'd like to make, alter its pitch then assign it to a key of my choice? Thanks in advance.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think two options could work. One would be making a custom kit with just the piece you want in it or just using the kit you have as it is and then putting it to timbre and then zoning the timbre to just the one key that plays the kit piece you want.
Changing the pitch of drums may not be like with regular tones or samples because the pitch setting in timbre parameters may work like transpose which merely shifts to the next note. In a drum kit , transpose ends up shifting to the next piece in the kit. But using "detuning" will work on the pitch of just the single piece you want.
Here is a video demo on customizing your own drum kit.

https://youtu.be/MyGz0DtzPU8

Either way you go, with a new custom kit or zoning down the existing kit to one note, you will have to work out a way to shift the pitch of the one piece in the kit via a means that does not merely transpose over to the next note in the sample set. Maybe the pitch setting does not cause the problem i mention here, but just keep it in mind and remember that detuning is there to tune drum kit pieces without merely shifting down/up a note on the keys.

Here is what page 461 parameter guide says about "transpose" versus "detune" in Zombi Shocked (Combi)mode.

"If the Timbre does not use an HD-1 Drum Program–for example, if it uses a Single or Double HD-1 Program, or an EXi Program–then MIDI RPN Coarse Tune will control Transpose, and RPN Fine Tune will control Detune.
If the Timbre uses an HD-1 Drum Program, MIDI RPN Coarse Tune and Fine Tune will be combined to control Detune. The overall range is ±1 octave for coarse tune and fine tune together."
There is a difference in how pitch changes work in Combi when using Transpose or detune. Detune is what you want for drum kits in Combi mode.

In Global where you can customize kits, you have the "drum kit" tab page and then the tab pages for "sample setup" and "sample parameter". Sample parameter has settings for both transpose and tuning of each sample or piece in the drum kit. So the problems of doing it in Combi will be avoided if you customize the kit in Global before setting it up in combi.
holdsg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this same challenge when I needed the "jews harp" note from the misc. percussion drum program for "Join Together" by the Who.

I also figured out how to alter the pitch so I could fit it into the other things I had going on in that combi. I guess that's the way you gotta go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: