Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DNC technology

View previous topic :: View next topic  
afr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:24 am    Post subject: DNC technology Reply with quote

I've seen some PA4X demos and I remain impressed about sounds quality and expression possibilities offered by DNC technology

Honestly I don't understand why korg don't implement it in their workstation

I know that the 2OSC structure is not enough to manage the DNC

But, if they implement a 10th Sound engine in the next Kronos or whatever name I think would be possible
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: DNC technology Reply with quote

afr wrote:
I've seen some PA4X demos and I remain impressed about sounds quality and expression possibilities offered by DNC technology

But, if they implement a 10th Sound engine in the next Kronos or whatever name I think would be possible

Actually, the hd engine is 8osc x 2.. if Korg Japan wanted to implement it in the HD engine they could do so.. DNC voices are indeed a very nice thing for getting realistic acoustic instruments...

DNC technollogy was developed by Korg Italy as a reaction on Yamaha's AEM. Indont think Korg Japan believes in this technollogy. Emulating other acoustic instruments is not the major reason people buy a Korg Kronos.

Personally.. i am still hoping for an all in instrument that covers the whole shebang of Korg Kronos, pa4x and all the other engines developed for gadget, pc and the Grandstage...
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: DNC technology Reply with quote

afr wrote:

could you give us a few examples from Youtube where the DNC supported instruments are stellar ?
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: DNC technology Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

could you give us a few examples from Youtube where the DNC supported instruments are stellar ?

Korg's DNC...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej69-ptRNXI

... is similar to Yamaha's expanded/super articulation...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GHPd9MDeRo

... is similar to Roland's SuperNatural Acoustic tech:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt5Kh3p556Y
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: DNC technology Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
afr wrote:

Greg, if you have the option, try a PA4x at your local music store and see for yourself if you would have use for this technollogy...

DNC is nothing but the triggering of different samples based on your playing (most of it, like velocity is also possible on the Kronos) some things like detecting legato and handling that in a different way is not possible on the K

Personally, i like the acoustic instruments in the PA4x that use DNC better then the Kronos versions. it allows for more realisme.. (flutes, saxes, clarinets trumpets ... but also guitars and others)

But to get that feeling, you should have a sit down with the pa4x...
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WavesArt has already applied DNC emulation in Kronos HD1 engine since K1 age https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjmMp94pSKI

Required OSC lacking in Programs can be overcome when using Program timbres in Performance mode sound modeling
even single Round-Robin , but the smooth transience of instruments articulations can be achieved only using the real DNC
features of Pa4X engine especially in legato/non legato/legato Up & Down detection of playing keys that are completely
missing in Kronos and must be implemented , plus the scaled legato detection of specific notes distance in order to activate
a specific legato multisample , an option that is missing in both !
Only this way we can achieve a very close approaching of VST sound modeling !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: DNC technology Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
GregC wrote:
afr wrote:

Greg, if you have the option, try a PA4x at your local music store and see for yourself if you would have use for this technollogy...

DNC is nothing but the triggering of different samples based on your playing (most of it, like velocity is also possible on the Kronos) some things like detecting legato and handling that in a different way is not possible on the K

Personally, i like the acoustic instruments in the PA4x that use DNC better then the Kronos versions. it allows for more realisme.. (flutes, saxes, clarinets trumpets ... but also guitars and others)

But to get that feeling, you should have a sit down with the pa4x...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUms5k7fc50

Thank you. LOL. My memory is returning on this. We had a similar discussion 2-3 yrs ago on DNC.

I did go to GC to test the PA4x or similar.

the extra samples on acoustic instruments are useful, realistic.

As a songwriter, I can lay down tracks on the SEQ without any problem.
I am comfortable doing covers and originals and have up to 20 songs on SoundCloud. All on the Kronos.

So I don't have the 'experience ' ( of losing track, etc) that Steve McNally refers to around 14 minutes.

I discovered the PA4X is not the right fit for me. It has many attractive features but I would not use the ' tools ' in it because I much prefer rolling my own backing tracks.

There are 1 or 2 PA4X performing keyboardists in the SF Bay area. While it is ambitious for them to use the PA4X with its many in the can parts , it is not my approach. I am not in any big hurry to complete my ver or a cover or create an original. I prefer to put in my own creative work on any song.

A small point, I did not notice Karma on the PA4x. I don't know if the Nanopad can be used or if the Pa4X has the "pads " feature. These are not big deal breakers, just a few tools on the Kronos that I am familiar with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: