Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help using the Akai Professional MPK49

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jericho-79

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Help using the Akai Professional MPK49 Reply with quote

I used to own a Casio CTK-6250 portable keyboard that had built-in tones. In addition to the Korg Kronos, I'm interested in the Akai Professional MPK49 (or MPK61).

From what I understand, Akai Professional MPK49 is a MIDI/USB "keyboard controller" that creates sounds via computer software digital audio workstation. Apparently, it is very useful in the studio.

But what about live performances?

Can the Akai Professional MPK49 be played on stage like a Korg workstation synthesizer?

I mean- I was thinking that I could just go on stage, hook up the Akai Professional MPK49 to a power source, turn on the main power, and start playing a piano melody (using a built-in tone).

Or does the Akai Professional MPK49 need to be interfaced with a computer (with the DAW running) at all times?

Can the Akai Professional MPK49 act as a stand-alone instrument at gigs?

Is it accurate that Akai Professional MPK49 will not produce any musical sounds unless it is networked with computer software?

Please advise, everyone.
MarPabl
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me try this analogy:
- The Akai MPK is the computer keyboard. Is will just send the "letters" (keys) you press.
- The Kronos, the CTK-6250 and the DAW (digital audio workstation) are the computer. Those are the "programs" which produce the actual sounds.

So the Akai MPK will never produce any kind of sound by its own (it doesn't have any "built in sound"). It needs to be connected to a sound engine (CTK-6250, Kronos or DAW in a computer) to make them produce the actual sound.

If you want a controller with built in sounds, try something like the TRITON Taktile.
kgardner53

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have MIDI controllers: Behringer FCB1010, Akai professional LPK25, M-Audio Axiom 49 MIDI controller , M-Audio Axiom 25 MIDI controller .

In my opinion , the Akai line is good value. I had an AKAI MPK-88 controller and enjoyed it but traded it in on another gear purchase.
I use the two Axiom boards with my PA3x and Kontakt, Miroslav, Sonar X1 Producer and MusicLab soft synths. I carry the AKAI LPK-25 in my laptop bag when I want to have a keyboard to work on my configurations in a cafe while travelling. Although other brands may boast better key action, as a pianist, I always felt that the touch of the AKAI MPK-88 (see http://www.akaipro.com/product/mpk88) was pleasant under the fingers especially once you get a good piano sound sample emerging!
To quote their promotional site:
Quote:
Piano-action production powerhouse.
The Akai Professional MPK88 is a professional performance keyboard controller with MPC production controls. The MPK88 draws on the design of the popular MPK49, the first keyboard ever to feature MPC pads. This first-of-its-kind keyboard is ideal for performance, starting with a premium, fully weighted, hammer-action keyboard, adding MPC pads, Q-Link controls, and a selection of MPC technologies. The MPK88 is born for the stage and is equally at home in the studio.

- See more at: http://www.akaipro.com/product/mpk88#sthash.AdIp3XQU.dpuf

A quick funny story; I went into BEST BUY electronics outlet here in Ancaster and saw the forlorn M-Audio Axiom 25 MIDI controller sitting on the shelf collecting dust. They run about $250 around here and I asked what they wanted for it. They had little to no interest from most customers so they proposed $99. They also threw in a universal power supply! I went over to Long and McQuade and asked what they would give me for it, their policy on buying used is 70% of used retail price and they offered me $140.00! Needless to say, M-Audio equipment is also well built and is very easy to work with. I am keeping the 25. That being said, the AKAI has a better piano touch. The M-Audio is plain synth feel even though the keys have the piano overhang on the square-front keys

The MPK-49 has the chisel-front keys :

The one caution I would pass along is that the black caps on the rotary knobs are just pressed fit into the gray knobs. The pop out rather easily by just brushing across them. I would recommend using a suitable plastic cement to glue them in permanently because the board doesn't look good with some missing and they really do complete the look of the console.

PA1X-Pro 2 units acquired in 2004 and became a forum member. Traded these in to get one PA3X-Pro-76 on July 25, 2014. Kurzweil PC88-MX (acq'd. 1995, stored), Korg EC-5 foot pedal switch,Roland DP-10 sustain pedals, Roland PK-5A dynamic MIDI 1 octave 13 pedal organ bass pedalboard, Behringer continuous control expression pedal. Kontact Komplete Ultimate 7, 8, 9, now 10 with Guitar Rig Controller Foot pedal board. Sonar Producer. MIDI controllers: Behringer FCB1010, Akai professional LPK25, M-Audio Axiom 49 MIDI controller , M-Audio Axiom 25 MIDI controller. 50+ years musical performance experience, Union Musician, Local 293, Hamilton.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: