Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Delayed vibrato possible on the King Korg?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
baD mR fRosTy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Delayed vibrato possible on the King Korg? Reply with quote

Hi, new member here,
I had a good look through the topics and didn't see this come up.
I am considering adding a KK to my collection, and although I know there is no after touch...does anyone know if a delay/pause or "ramp" can be applied to the pitch vibration of mono lead sounds? Meaning that once one holds a note for, say a second or so, the vibrato starts to come in? I have a lot of old analogs that do this, and though it's not as good as after touch, it can be a useful feature....anyone familiar with this?

I am wondering if the KK has it.
Oldretro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Delayed vibrato possible on the King Korg? Reply with quote

baD mR fRosTy wrote:
Hi, new member here,
I had a good look through the topics and didn't see this come up.
I am considering adding a KK to my collection, and although I know there is no after touch...does anyone know if a delay/pause or "ramp" can be applied to the pitch vibration of mono lead sounds? Meaning that once one holds a note for, say a second or so, the vibrato starts to come in? I have a lot of old analogs that do this, and though it's not as good as after touch, it can be a useful feature....anyone familiar with this?

I am wondering if the KK has it.

Yes it is possible, but not directly from the LFO section itself. You have to do that with Virtual Patch, using two slots. And you will need one of the two envelope generators. Set the source as (for instance) "LFO1", and the destination to "Pitch" (if you want to influence all VCO's in that patch) with 0 as "Intensity". With the second Virtual Patch you will have to choose one of the envelope generators as source, for instance "EG2" and then set as destination "Virtual Patch 1 Int" with a intensity that you feel comfortable with. So it is possible, but you will need one of the two envelope generators to be able to modulate (fade in, in this case) the depth/intensity, and two Virtual Patch slots. BTW, at first I was a bit sceptical about the KingKorg, but now it has become my favourite session keyboard. It has a very good Virtual Analog sound, especially with the tube on, and it is capable of some very nice FM like sounds, too. And the addition of sampled waveforms like Mellotron Flute and Strings, E-Piano, and the DWGS waveforms that I use for transistor type organ sounds, make it quite a versatile board. Although the price might have been a bit steep in the beginning, it's now possible to get a new one for 300 Euro less then when it hit the market.
baD mR fRosTy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have demo'd the one at my local music store now for several weeks, lol.
After having spent most of the 80s buying new synths (and therefore not much else), I am also a bit wary.

But it looks like the initial depreciation has come off already...they are $999 at my local, with 6 months interest free. I expect, they will level off around there.

But as one who paid full sticker price for a DX-7, D-50, Juno-106 and 3 (three) Ensoniq Mirages, back in my 20's, I vowed to never do so again!

I guess I shouldn't complain, when all I had was the DX-7 and the Juno, an "A" circuit cover band hired my for my keyboards, lol, and the singer taught me half my parts! I have, *ahem* progressed a bit since then on my own.

But prices sure have come down. Folks today complain to spend over a grand on a 5 octave polysynth...good grief.

Anyway, a delayed vibrato sounds a little convoluted, but possible thanks.

I guess I was hoping for a convenient "one stop" delay feature, like on my old Basstation, or even a dedicated knob like on my JP-6. But thanks for the response, and the recommendations for the KK. I am leaving to grab one now.

Cheers
John
Oldretro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baD mR fRosTy wrote:
After having spent most of the 80s buying new synths (and therefore not much else), I am also a bit wary.

But it looks like the initial depreciation has come off already...they are $999 at my local, with 6 months interest free. I expect, they will level off around there.

But as one who paid full sticker price for a DX-7, D-50, Juno-106 and 3 (three) Ensoniq Mirages, back in my 20's, I vowed to never do so again!

I guess I shouldn't complain, when all I had was the DX-7 and the Juno, an "A" circuit cover band hired my for my keyboards, lol, and the singer taught me half my parts! I have, *ahem* progressed a bit since then on my own.

But prices sure have come down. Folks today complain to spend over a grand on a 5 octave polysynth...good grief.

I guess I was hoping for a convenient "one stop" delay feature, like on my old Basstation, or even a dedicated knob like on my JP-6. But thanks for the response, and the recommendations for the KK. I am leaving to grab one now.

Cheers
John

I hope you will have lots of fun with your KK. Be sure to read the manual, there are functions that can only be accessed via the menu.
djcactus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldretro wrote:
baD mR fRosTy wrote:

Cheers
John

I hope you will have lots of fun with your KK. Be sure to read the manual, there are functions that can only be accessed via the menu.

This.

Also, I just noticed that I could go in and change the various functions and their corresponding CC messages in the Global menu. This has been a pretty big game changer as far as automate-able digital knobs getting me a little bit closer to that function per knob. Ableton's Max for Live has tons of free patches and just got one for LFO's, two per timbre wasn't enough, now i have more then i had imagined.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KingKORG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: