Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EMX + Ableton SYNC Problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vogltek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: EMX + Ableton SYNC Problems Reply with quote

Hello guys and girls, iīm not really new to the forum, but didnīt use it for quite a long time and so I forgot my whole account information, incl. E-Mail, etc, so i made a new one.....so hello again!!

The thing is that I have sync problems with my EMX and Ableton when i change Clips which include program changes....

Every other instrument changes the program after getting to the next bar of a clip in ableton, and the clip of the MIDI track where the EMX is located changes immediately for sure as well, but the EMX plays its pattern to the end.
Thats a big sync problem, for sure the MIDI Clock and the timing still fit, but the pattern of the EMX doesnīt fit to the rest anymore.

So my solution was that I use the same length in all Ableton clips as the pattern length in the EMX, and I change the clips when the EMX is nearly at the end of the pattern->that works, but it isnīt a good solution...

So if anybody uses Ableton combined with the EMX->whats your solution?
Is there a way that EMX changes the program immediately as the rest of the instruments do, or the other way around->is it really true that I cannot force Ableton to play the other clips to its end....

I thought there is for sure a function in Ableton where I force the clip to play to its end, but it seems that there isnīt....
(
https://www.ableton.com/answers/force-f ... -midi-clip)

Thx for help in advance....
Greetz vogltek
-KORG VOLCA BASS
-KORG KAOSS PAD 3
-JOMOX Airbase 99
-NOVATION Super Bass Station
-NOVATION ULTRANOVA
-ROLAND JUNO 60
-Focusrite Scarlett 18i6+Behringer ADA8000
-old MOTU MIDI Interface
-pair of KRK Rokit 5
-DAW: Ableton Live 9.1. on WIN 7 + Wavelab, etc.....
-ASUS notebook, i7, 8GB RAM, 2 GB GeForce...
vogltek

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:56 am    Post subject: solution Reply with quote

Olla Collegas....Allthough I didnīt get a suggestion to my problem, I got it at another forum, and its possible that somebody has the same problem, so I forward the solution, works perfectly fine for me:

The problem was that the Electribe played its pattern to the end, and the other instruments were already changing because of changing clips in Ableton.
(MIDI Clip in Ableton responsible for EMX only contains program change information)

So the solution is that you use a MIDI DELAY EFFECT inserted in the MIDI TRACK for the EMX, and you set a negative value at the effect.
From now on the EMX will change the program in time, synchronized with the other gear.
(the negative value depends on the pattern length of EMX....)

So long, hope my problem->and solution will help anyone, so that this post and the time I needed writing it, isnīt useless spended;-)
-KORG VOLCA BASS
-KORG KAOSS PAD 3
-JOMOX Airbase 99
-NOVATION Super Bass Station
-NOVATION ULTRANOVA
-ROLAND JUNO 60
-Focusrite Scarlett 18i6+Behringer ADA8000
-old MOTU MIDI Interface
-pair of KRK Rokit 5
-DAW: Ableton Live 9.1. on WIN 7 + Wavelab, etc.....
-ASUS notebook, i7, 8GB RAM, 2 GB GeForce...
djcactus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh good looking out! I have and esx 1 and i really just use it as a controller, and its great to sync up with the drum racks to make quick beats on the tribe and have them controlling the sample library of my computer. Occasionally though I have had some issues with time just a tad and this should take that (what).3ms of the midi daisy chain.
belzrebuth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar problem with ESX and Ableton.The step sequencer reveals that the timing is way of.If i place a 4/4 (1,5,9,13) kick on the Electribe and a 2,4 (5,13) Snare coming from an ableton's drum rack the snare comes way off.
This happens when the clock is set to Auto.Setting the clock to EXT fixes this but i lose control on the electribe.
My interface is a RME FF400 with low midi jitter and latency and my other gear behave well midi wise but the ESX not at all.
Should the Auto clock function have been implemented better or it's just me?I don't know:/
Is there a solution to this?
I want to be able to have the ESX synced seamlessly with the DAW and turn off and on parts and play/pause.
I'd be greatly interested in a workaround.
Thanks!
Olivander12

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

belzrebuth wrote:
I have a similar problem with ESX and Ableton.The step sequencer reveals that the timing is way of.If i place a 4/4 (1,5,9,13) kick on the Electribe and a 2,4 (5,13) Snare coming from an ableton's drum rack the snare comes way off.
This happens when the clock is set to Auto.Setting the clock to EXT fixes this but i lose control on the electribe.
My interface is a RME FF400 with low midi jitter and latency and my other gear behave well midi wise but the ESX not at all.
Should the Auto clock function have been implemented better or it's just me?I don't know:/
Is there a solution to this?
I want to be able to have the ESX synced seamlessly with the DAW and turn off and on parts and play/pause.
I'd be greatly interested in a workaround.
Thanks!

If EMX acts as the midi master ALL daws lag somehow behind the electribes clock. I tried it out with various combination and non of them worked properly.
belzrebuth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's a shame because it really makes my ESX unusable with my DAW and other gear simultaneously.Except if i jam OTB.Then it seems to be working fine ,although i don't work this way these days.
I'd really like to hear other peoples' workflows and workarounds about the clocking issues of the ESX/EMX and DAWs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: