Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mixing sounds different at home or in a venue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Mastering & Mixing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Mixing sounds different at home or in a venue Reply with quote

The band I play in recently made a demo at a studio. It hasn't been end-mixed yet; only a rough mix we received already.

I listened to it in a venue (restaurant after regular opening hours) while sitting outside, so not in the 'best' position. I noticed that some parts where hard to hear (like strings in one song), and some instruments where too loud. No problem of course because it is a rough mix.

However, when I listened at home to check better with headphones I noticed the strings where still not loud but defeneately much better as what I heard. Also with other instruments (parts).

I assume it will be improved, but I wonder how difficult it is for a mixer to make it sound good in both cases. Should we favor one way of another? The mixing engineer is very good, but maybe we should point how it should sound best: in a more or less 'perfect' listening condition (headphones) or in a venue?

What are your experiences with this issue?

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nemik
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people say mastering, mixing is more difficult that playing.
That's why bands always like to have sound check before and professional mixers has banks with presets. Cool
On the top of this is people who listen, some like more bass, some more strings.
Is kinda challenging every time you play live.
In places like people moving , like restaurant is very hard, then when you got open area you dealing with weather condition, wind, humility, temperature etc.
As playing already recorded songs, that's more issue is with quality sound equipment and location.
Glass window is not to friendly to reflecting sound, musician hate glass windows, I saw ones band have to stop play for minute, because glass behind them start shacking very loud.Laughing
Always something Smile
Fl Studio 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite.
Performers Heaven
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this answer ... for this question it was more related to listening back to a MP3 (CD) ... but probably the same counts for live playing.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've just hit on the trickiest part of mixing - making sure that it translates relatively well to vastly different systems. If he is good, he can make it sound so that it does well everywhere. I doubt that you'd be happy if you told him to mix for your specific set of headphones or that club's specific speakers.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
You've just hit on the trickiest part of mixing - making sure that it translates relatively well to vastly different systems. If he is good, he can make it sound so that it does well everywhere. I doubt that you'd be happy if you told him to mix for your specific set of headphones or that club's specific speakers.

Thanks for this answer ... I probably will ask him to mix for generic (small) cafe speakers, since that is the main reason of the demo, to get soms gigs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Mastering & Mixing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: