Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

em1 with kaossilator thru kp mini?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
britzman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:08 am    Post subject: em1 with kaossilator thru kp mini? Reply with quote

Hey people nice to meet yall. I love trance TO DEATH but making it on the computer is overwhelming for an amatuer plus live performances are way more engaging and magical. Im really drawn to the raw, irreverent feel of 90s trance vs the overproduced mush today. The m1 seemed awesome for just that. I wanted a bit of flare so i bought the kaossilater and mini kp1 to spice things up a bit. Was that a good idea and will they all work together and how should i connect the cords? Its my first attempt at music production so any advice be terrific. Please go easy on me!!
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EM1 is different from the other electribes in that its more of a self-contained unit - it doesn't have an Audio In jack like the others. Do you have a mixer? That'd be the best way to use all three. EM1 on one channel, and then the kaossilator (do you mean the original, the small yellow unit?) into the minikp on another channel.

If not, you can connect the EM1 to the minikp and use that to add effects and transitions etc.
britzman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont own a mixer but I am willing to buy one. I would eventually like to connect 3 or four other devices (a mic, kp3, monotron). Would the bpm from the kaossilator1 sync to the bpm of the em1 with the mixer? What kind would you recommend for such a set up?
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to set the bpm on each device individually, since the kaossilator does not have midi.

I think any mixer will serve you well, but remember to get something that has more channels than you actually need, since you're planning on expanding your set. Maybe get something that has routing capabilities (subsystems), too, as that can be useful for the kp3 and minikp should you want to apply effects to more than one unit.
britzman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the advice. I just bought a esx for 250 - hope thats reasonible. That way i should be able to use all the gear untill i find a good mixer. Do you recommend using a voicelive for effects and looping or the kp3?
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

britzman wrote:
Do you recommend using a voicelive for effects and looping or the kp3?

Sorry, I'm not exactly sure what you're asking here. the kp3 does handle looping and effects. Its great for almost any set up, although it does have its limitations.
britzman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

l probably will go with the kp3 then! I neeeed limitations. Fruityloops scares the hell outta me Rolling Eyes plus id like to keep it korg only lol

Heres my situation. Im in love with these individually but im trying to use them together. I have enough rca cables but i didn't know there were only 1/4 in inputs only on the tribes. It appears the em1 has an audio in in the form of midi and from my research, midi is better. Do you recommend buying 1/4 inch adapters or using midi cables? How should i connect all this together? Im sorry for being a noob but i couldnt find any setup like mine and i just wanna get the best sound quality untill i can find a mixer.
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Britzman,

they sell rca to 1/4 cables so no worries there.

However, the ESX only has one audio input. So your options are:

EM1>minikp>ESX
kaoss>minikp>ESX
EM1>ESX>minikp
kaoss>ESX>minikp

Contrary to what you may think, MIDI does not transmit audio. So connecting the EM1 to ESX via midi will not produce any sound. Instead, it is used to control other gear. So, for example, you can have the ESX as the master, controlling tempo and program changes on the EM1, but you'd still need to hook up audio cables to hear anything.
thehighesttree
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ESX has a stereo tip-ring-sleeve connection (TRS), so you can put any stereo signal into it, provided you have the right connection or an adapter. It's great because you can use the dedicated Audio-In part to gate the signal.

As for order, consider EM-1>ESX>KO>miniKP, because in my experience it's good to have master FX for the whole setup, whereas each of the others besides the Kaossillator have their own FX. Try this and see what you think of it!
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thehighesttree wrote:
The ESX has a stereo tip-ring-sleeve connection (TRS), so you can put any stereo signal into it, provided you have the right connection or an adapter. It's great because you can use the dedicated Audio-In part to gate the signal.

As for order, consider EM-1>ESX>KO>miniKP, because in my experience it's good to have master FX for the whole setup, whereas each of the others besides the Kaossillator have their own FX. Try this and see what you think of it!

the orig kaosillator doesn't have an input, unfortunately.
britzman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would make sense, will give it a shot, thehighesttree!

so basically my kaossilator1 is useless in this scenario without mixer because even if there was an audio input, i couldn't sync the beats together because of midi lackingness?

Regardless, i bought the cord you recommended to salvage what i can.
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I wouldn't say its useless. Even though it doesn't have midi, you can still set the bpm to the ESX's (or EM1's). Same with the minikp. You just have to take a more manual approach.

Even without a mixer, you have plenty of options with what you currently have. Might be best to just experiment and have fun!
britzman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youre right! finally attatched everything and it added a ton of dimension but also a lot more to manage. Thank you so very much for the input (lol Wink )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: