Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is dB out of the mS line outs? Do they need pre-amp?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fezzler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject: What is dB out of the mS line outs? Do they need pre-amp? Reply with quote

What is dB out of the mS line outs? Do they need pre-amp to be recorded?
bradkorg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre amp is only needed for weak signal devices like turntables, microphones and guitars.

mS output volume is variable per timbre/voice volume, track volume, midi mastervolume.
mS mainvolume knob can output around/above 0dB dependant on above volume variables and when overdrived, sounds will be distorted and clipping.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_level

You DAW/PC have both separate Audio/line-in input volume controls.
First adjust the PC line-input volume control that the loudest sound don't clip, should be around fixed at 50-70 range.
Final variable volumecontrol adjustments with DAW Audio in and VU/peak/dB meter to 0dB peak max.
Fezzler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject: mS Line Out Output levels Reply with quote

Thank you. So the following isn't working with my DAW because the mS isn't outputting enough dB, correct?

1. OUT: 1/4" unbalanced cables out of mS to a control unit that has (2-3 below)
2. IN: Stereo 1/4" balanced inputs for connecting an +4dBu level stereo sources routed thru
3. OUT: Stereo 1/4" balanced outputs for any +4dBu level device...into
4. IN: Sound card 1/4" unbalanced analog 10dB line level inputs - input level controlled by the device (mS).

If I am not mistaken, the mS is outputting less than +4dB which is less than 10dB expected by my line level inputs as well. So I need to add a pre-amp in the signal path. Because now my DAW barely picks up a signal.
bradkorg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Check/test you setup/settings, skip your router? 2/3 (=passive mixer box?) and connect mS OUT to Soundcard IN directly. The passive router attenuate mS volume and changed the impedance.
2) A common/simple active audio/line mixer (i.e Behringer QX1202USB etc.) can function as a pre-amp/volume booster.

Ok, just done some mS volume testing with FL Studio DAW through onboard Realtek Audio Line input with ASIO4ALLv2 driver (that bypass PC DirectSound driver/line-in volume control)

-It seems mS use volume limiter/dynamic compression fixed at max 0dB peak/output level on the line outputs.
With all mS timbres and mastervolume at max 127, it stay with FLstudio standard 100%=0dB volume-input on mS max 0dB peak outputlevel, visible on FL Studio masteroutput VU meters.
Whether mS volume outputlevel knob is set around less 3/4 to max, overall volume increased but always max 0dB peak.

-When I mix mS sounds with VSTi sounds playing together FL mastervolume now do peak above above +2dB/+3dB. (FL studio VU meter max visible at +3dB)

Conclusions:
A) mS outputs max 0dB peak and use dynamic compression/ouputlevel limiiter, which explains mS "dull" dynamics and some timbres sounds distorted/overdrived at too higher volumelevel.
B) No separate audiomixer is needed, as mS deliver the standard 0dB linelevel outputs standalone.
-I can boost/overdrive/clip the mS inputlevel up with FL Studio input/master volumes above +5.5dB that will sound distorted aka loudness war.
C) So nothing wrong with mS or real soundoutput problems except the 0dB output limiter, it doesn't matter the synths/electro sounds anyway than acoustic piano/instrument sounds.
Fezzler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday, I recorded my A/D box (M-Audio Firewire 410) pre-amps and line inputs raw outputs while slowly adding gain. Interesting for me, probably obvious to more experienced, the pre-amp was virtually silent until about 65% of gain was added. More interesting, line analog line inputs were just plain noisy. So while I was using the line inputs because they are available to be permanently connected/accessible to my DAW, I'm probably better off using the pre-amps to eliminate some noise floor.
bradkorg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now your mS USB [ground]-PC connection is causing the Ground Loop noise! because the audio ground is also connected to PC.
Double grounds to PC makes the groundloop statics noise!

Just test it without USB conneected, you will get clean sound from mS line-out to PC soundcard line-in directly!

-Simple solution fix: just cut the USB cable ground pin 4.
-I bought a cheap 4 ports USB hub from ebay and cut inside the ground trace/shield to the usb output port(s).
Remember now mS USB will be only active when the audio line is connected to PC also, because USB ground will now using the only one audio ground.
I get the same clean sound likewise as without USB connected, just perfect sounds!

Ref:
http://www.archonmagnus.com/computing/elec/USBpins.php

http://www.moddiy.com/pages/USB-2.0-%7B47%7D-3.0-Connectors-%26-Pinouts.html

http://www.head-fi.org/t/686609/usb-cable-cutting-ground-black-wire-to-eliminate-noise-between-computer-and-dac-solved

http://www.theworshipguitarist.com/blog/theworshipguitarist-experience/usb-ground-loop-noise-eliminated/
Fezzler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even better news! I can eliminate the USB as I rarely tweak sounds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: