Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Solved] display empty, step-key 16 blinking

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dired

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: [Solved] display empty, step-key 16 blinking Reply with quote

Dear Community!

I bought a - declared as defect - EMX from ebay (after I sold mine last year, it was a mistake as I really liked the instrument but thought I don't need it for my productions anymore).
When I turn it on, the display is empty. When I turn it on holding SOLO and WRITE (or when it is on and I hold SOLO and WRITE), the display says "Write ALL INIT Sure?". After I press play in the expectance that it initializes itself correctly, the 16 CARD - Step-Key begins blinking. It doesn't stop blinking, even after a minute and a bit more. As the initialization procedure normally should take around 30secs, there must be a problem.

What am I gonna do about it?
Maybe the guy who owned it before powered the electribe off during firmware update or initialization and there is now an error on the ROM. So as I don't have a free one right now, I'll buy a smartmedia - card and try a firmware update with V1.02. Two of my dear friends own an electribe, so I won't have a problem formatting a 16mb smartmedia-card - which I have to find first of all - with the ESX.
I need your help with the following question: Can I do a firmware-update with a 128MB-Card, too, without any restrictions? It'd be nicer to buy a 128MB-Card directly instead of a 16MB-Card, as recommended for the firmware-update in the "OS Update 1.02"-Manual.

If that won't work (any experience of it working?), I'll follow the instructions of this guide http://www.midimonster.de/wsb/pages/tech-stuff/fixing-the-korg-electribe-sx.php , measuring the FUSE1 with my voltmeter firstly.

I'll let you know what happens, first step is to ask in the electronics-part-shop of my trust, if they have a smartmedia-card in stock.

Of course I'd be glad of any experience reports regarding this problem

I wish you all a fantasting week!

P.S.:
News: When I power it on holding down shift and pattern - which is the procedure to show the Version Info - it shows me the version infos; every version part has a number, except for "USERVer. | Error" (with | being a linebreak).

News: I didn't get the smartmedia-card, but replacement fuses (3 of them). Then I took the Electribe apart and measured the resistance of the FUSE1 with my little voltmeter. It has 0 resistance so the fuse is intact and not the problem. I need to try the firmware update next.
dired

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Solved this problem today Reply with quote

Hello dear Community!

The Smartmedia-Card i bought from ebay arrived today, I formatted it on the electribe of a friend, then brought it home. Here I put the Smartmedia - Card in my Multi - Cardreader.
Then I put the files from the OS-Update-Zip-Files I obtained from here http://www.korg.de/produkte/fruehere-modelle/esx1-produktinfo/erweitert/esx1-betriebssystem.html (german site, don't worry your electribe stays english) on the Smartmedia - Card.
In the Zip it are the files
    ESX0102D.BDS
    ESX0101F.BFS
    ESX0102N.BSS

Then I followed the instructions given in the "ESX_Update_Anleitung.pdf", which is in german again. It says "While powering on, hold Cursor up [^] and Cursor down [v]. The display says "VerUp". Confirm with the key Play [>]. The OS is loaded after this procedure!
Important: Please never power off the Electribe SX while it is in the update-process, because it can lead to irreparable Damage on the Flash-Rom, and you'd have to send the instrument to a service point!"

And then... it sayd "Turn Off Please" and something else (don't remember didn't write down, some info), so I turned it off and on again. After a moment it said KORG Electribe SX
It loaded the os and now I am playing with the korg with my headphones on. Smile
200€ electribe, sold mine for 250€ a year ago. I want to say thank you to god, the universe and the humans for making all of this possible

P.S.: Yes you can use a 128MB Card, it just has to be at least 16MB
Tom 62

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Very Happy
dired

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to point out to this project: https://github.com/coderofsalvation/electribe-emx-esx-reverse-engineering
grimecity

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bricked my ES 1 trying to upgrade the firmware after owning it for one day. My power supply is fine and i didnt shut it off or anything. After it did the number cycling during the upgrade, it immediately gave me an "F08" error display and now when I try to turn it on, its completely blank except for the play button which is lit up. Someone please help. the link to the factory firmware files here is dead and I don't see any other solution

*Edit: I just realized this thread was regarding the EMX. Is there a solution for the Es1 at all? i am very desperate for help here. Any advice would be very much appreciated
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: