Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2014 Electribe MPS Manual and Parameter Guide
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said before, I think the manual is a living document...a work in progress. I really don't believe that the manual we are looking at is the final one. It's quite possible that this may have been a first draft...or worse they are still not done with the manual which means we still have a longer wait for the unit.
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted3000 wrote:

The entire electribe is running on a DSP platform. If you popped it open, you wouldn't see "16 effect processors" in there - the entire thing runs on 1 or 2 surface-mounted processor chips just like a computer, with other components to scan the controls, drive the display, etc.

Considering the electribe has a stereo audio in and a full roster of 2x effects with an X/Y touchpad... how much does a Kaoss Pad Quad or a KP3+ cost? Smile

Or how about the cost of a Kaossilator Pro+ ?

This is a very good point! The new Electribe will be a $100 more than any of the Kaoss products out there yet, aside from sampling,...this would replace your Kaoss rig completely!

I'm managing my expectations. My simple expectaion is that I see the ultimate Kaoss unit! You have the option to treat it as if this was the super Kaoss synth all Kaoss lovers like have always wanted.

It's a Kaossilator Pro and two KP3's, one for insert effects and a master Kaosspad. Thats my performance rig!

I run my KPro through a KP2 and a KP3...thats 3 midi connections, 3 power supplies RCA cables up the ass and then finally to the mixer we go. Oh and I forgot I have a Volca Keys and and ES1 I use to step sequence my microSampler.

SO yeah one unit is replacing a KOPro, a KP2 a KP3 a Volca Keys (cos thats in the new tribe as well) the ES-1 for step sequencing. So that's like 5 items I am putting on Craigs list!

I'm still hanging on to my microSampler in case the new electribe sampler does not sample as well as the microsampler. I like my sampler.

I do own a Kaoss Quad and with the new tribe the quad will be used for the sampler...yippy!!!!

So yeah...to me the new electribe from what little we know sounds like a super Kaoss system thats replacing 5 pieces of gear.

Thats my over all expectation and that to me is worth the $400 or $500.
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMK,

If you sell some of that gear, you can easily make up the cost of the electribe. Its like you're getting it for free!! Laughing
robosardine
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not selling mine yet. The electribe has only 32 master effects- far fewer than a KP3. Plus the X Y pad on the electribe does not work on the insert effects- only the master effects.. and like I say- there is only 32 of them. I do not think it will replace a Kaoss rig.
I will be getting rid of my Kaossilator Pro+ for sure- But that will be about it for the time being.
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robosardine wrote:
I'm not selling mine yet. The electribe has only 32 master effects- far fewer than a KP3. Plus the X Y pad on the electribe does not work on the insert effects- only the master effects.. and like I say- there is only 32 of them. I do not think it will replace a Kaoss rig.
I will be getting rid of my Kaossilator Pro+ for sure- But that will be about it for the time being.

If only that were true then I would completely agree with you but it's not the case.

The word you are missing is the most important word of all "TYPES".

It's not 32 (or 38 ) effects, its 32 "Effect Types". For example, Delays are an effect type and there have always been many different types of delays in Kaoss's long history. Same goes for reverb, distortion, modulation, filters decimators, Grainulators...these are all effect types or effect families.

I'm used to reading about gear with say 8 effect types (usually adds up to 120 effects) or at the most 16 effects types...but 32?!?! or event 38!!!!

Unless "Types" is a typo...we're looking at lord load of effects!
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roblabs wrote:
SMK,

If you sell some of that gear, you can easily make up the cost of the electribe. Its like you're getting it for free!! Laughing

EXACTLY!!!!! Cool
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music
Hugo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMK wrote:
robosardine wrote:

If only that were true then I would completely agree with you but it's not the case.

The word you are missing is the most important word of all "TYPES".

It's not 32 (or 38 ) effects, its 32 "Effect Types". For example, Delays are an effect type and there have always been many different types of delays in Kaoss's long history. Same goes for reverb, distortion, modulation, filters decimators, Grainulators...these are all effect types or effect families.

I'm used to reading about gear with say 8 effect types (usually adds up to 120 effects) or at the most 16 effects types...but 32?!?! or event 38!!!!

Unless "Types" is a typo...we're looking at lord load of effects!

I strongly doubt Korg will include 38 different categories of effects. I think robosardine is correct that the KP3 still will offer a lot more different effects. I hope you're right, obviously, but strongly doubt it.
Tarekith
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, I read that as 38 seperate effects, not 38 TYPES of effects.
Ted3000
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kaoss family of effects are a bit like menu items at Taco Bell. There's a lot of them, but they only have a few different ingredients.

In Kaoss World, a lowpass filter feeding a delay is an effect. But so is a filter, and so is delay. If he delay is short and freerunning, that's counts as another effect. If the delay is tempo-synced, that's another effect. If the delay is followed by the filter instead of preceded by it, that's another effect. If the filter is multimode, then each version is listed as a separate effect.

Having 200 "different" effects and combos makes sense for an X/Y device that can only control 2 parameters and only provide one at a time. But they're really just presets from a common bank of effects, with most of the controls locked down and non-editable.
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, most people only use a handful of them. For example, you probably have your go-to effects, and then there are those like the Loopers, where you might only use one or two from the selection. So Ted is correct about there being repetitions or stacks of effects from a limited assortment.

All in all, I personally will not sell my kp3 if I get an electribe, as its one of my favorite pieces of gear, and I use it with practically everything and anything. But I'm really pleased that Korg made such an all-in-one machine where you have the option of using it completely standalone.
robosardine
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The specs also state-

Number of Oscillator types

Number of Filter types

Number of Modulation types

Which indicates to me that when they say 'type' they are referring to them as singular.

Last edited by robosardine on Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jim Pong

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's either a unique feature or erroneous writing at the bottom of page 12.
robosardine
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Pong wrote:
it's either a unique feature or erroneous writing at the bottom of page 12.

I'm not sure if this is ironic or not- but there seems to be part of this message missing- leaving it hard to make sense of.
Jim Pong

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to save a pattern with a different name
Page 12
robosardine
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes ok page 12- you mentioned that before- and now we know you are talking about the copying & renaming pattern part at the bottom- thanks for letting us know that. You can do this on the old EMX's and ESX's quite easily. So what is the point/ observation/ question you are bringing up- and why are you being so vague about it?
Could you not have copied the part you are talking about into your text or stated what it said (to save us all looking for it) and shared your observations or questions about it (to save us all from guessing)?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: