Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Warm analog interfering with other sounds in combi mode

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KevFP5

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Warm analog interfering with other sounds in combi mode Reply with quote

Hi
Bear with me as this may take some explaining.

I assigned Warm Analog to T1 in combi mode and allocated it to a range on the keyboard. Across another range, I have Stereo Strings, both on mini channel 1.

I noticed that the strings were not sounding correctly while I was also playing the Warm analog sound. On testing this by playing a repeated single note on strings while holding down one note on WA sound, I found the string sound changes every two or three notes between very 'small' and quiet and excessively loud, which it does not do with other patches on other parts of the board.

I checked, and no other patch (that I have tried so far) instead of WA causes this problem, but WA does cause it with other patches I've tried in the combi. I tried muting the track with WA on it and soloing the strings, but even holding down just one note causes the string sound to misfire cyclically - as if some oscillators are not playing all the time.

There is no note stealing shown, and the only way I can stop it happening is to choose another program or to switch INT to Off on WA.

I've just updated to 2.1.2 and the latest sub-firmware, but no change. Also, this is a new Kronos X 88 with a replacement keybed that is working perfectly on every other sound, etc. I can't replicate this any other way than by using WA... I could try another sound, but it works ok and anyway this is a noteworthy occurrence imho. Smile

I searched for this on the forum and could find nothing similar - apologies if it's been covered elsewhere.

Would appreciate any ideas. And sorry for the long post.
Kev
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Warm analog interfering with other sounds in combi mode Reply with quote

KevFP5 wrote:
There is no note stealing shown

You looked at the Performance Meters page, then?
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
KevFP5

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Thanks for replying
Yes - no note stealing, not maxing out anything
I also checked the number of notes each program uses, and added up - but this issue happens whether I'm playing one note in each part or several.
K
KevFP5

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Bit more info Reply with quote

I did some more testing and found that a note held down on warm analog - even when turned off in the combi and with no effects - causes the phasing in and out of only the 'stereo' string programs on a different section of the keyboard.
I tried different synths with no problem, and all the non stereo labelled strings are fine.
It sounds like a square wave being applied to the sample, as a held string note comes and goes in a regular slow beat.
If anyone can make sense of this, I'd be very grateful - until then I will avoid using stereo string programs with warm analog.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like it could be a phase issue, but I'd have to check and won't be able to for a few days.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just built a combi today with Warm Analog in it and I get a similar issue. If I hold a note, other sounds will be randomly louder and softer, like there is a slow S/H LFO on their volume fader or something.

It happens just by selecting the sound, I don't have to copy the FX so that rules out IFX/MFX/TFX issues. I can't figure out any logical reason for it. There is no note stealing in the performance page, and if I substitute an AL1 sound (more CPU intensive) I get no issues.
danatkorg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the Program's Vector CCs.
Warm Analog has an unusual setting: the Vector's X Axis is assigned to Knob 7.
Normally, Program CCs are kept separate in Combi mode:

"Program and Combi Vectors work together
In Combi mode, each Timbre’s Program still has its own Vector EG, which controls volume and CCs as it did in Program mode. You can disable the Program’s Vector Volume and CC control separately for each Timbre, if desired.
Program Vector CCs affect only their own Program, even if other Timbres are set to the same MIDI channel."

In this case, it appears that since the Program Vector's X Axis is assigned to a Knob, it's having the same affect as moving the front panel knob - and affecting the sound of all the Timbres on the Global Channel.

To avoid this, you can either edit the Program's Vector CCs to use CC#20 instead of Knob 7, or (easier) disable Program Vector CCs for that Timbre in the Combi. Note that if you've already been playing the Combi with Vector enabled, the CCs have already been sent and the sound is already changed; disabling Vector won't cancel those previously sent CCs. However, turning RTKnob 7 back to the center will do so.

At this point, I don't know whether to characterize this as an omission from the manuals or an error in the implementation. At the moment I'm leaning towards the former. Thank you for finding this!
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this come about when doing a "Copy From Program" to add Programs to a Combi Timbre. or will it do it if you just select the Timbre's Program from within the Combi. I have found some funky things happening with CCs when doing a "Copy From Program". I guess the Kronos doesn't always know that there will be "conflicts" between CC assignments when doing a "Copy From Program".
danatkorg

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronnfigg wrote:
Does this come about when doing a "Copy From Program" to add Programs to a Combi Timbre. or will it do it if you just select the Timbre's Program from within the Combi. I have found some funky things happening with CCs when doing a "Copy From Program". I guess the Kronos doesn't always know that there will be "conflicts" between CC assignments when doing a "Copy From Program".

This is unrelated to "Copy From Program." In general, Vector CCs are isolated for each Program, even if they are on the same MIDI channel. The RTKnob assignments appear to be an exception.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for figuring it out, Dan!
I was stumped because simply selecting the program already affected other sounds.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clearing that up Dan. Any Christmas music coming out this year?
danatkorg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronnfigg wrote:
Thanks for clearing that up Dan. Any Christmas music coming out this year?

Hopefully! Thanks for asking - it's good to know that someone's looking forward to it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: