Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hey guys. Back again and need help with a decision !

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tdwctdwc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Hey guys. Back again and need help with a decision ! Reply with quote

Hello guys. It's been a long while since i posted here. Hope all my kronos heads are doing well !

I need help with a decision regarding studio equipment, so please read on patiently and bear with me.

A little about me:

I'm a pianist/keyboardist/songwriter but always been a drummer at heart (I do play drums as well).

My fascination for rhythm has always been with me since i was a kid. My dad got me a keyboard when i was 8 and i used to play the drum patches in the keyboard so i can finger drum my passion away lol. Over the years, i managed to self train myself to finger drum live in both hands (no overdubbing, just like a live drummer would play) on all the keyboard workstations that i bought/used over the years. I now record my drum tracks on all my released songs using the Korg Kronos built in drum kits. I basically finger-drum the drum track live in one take and i'm done.

Even all the bands that i formed over the years revolved first around the best drummer i could find, then the rest of the members were recruited around the drummer and myself.

All my favorite bands were "favorites" because of their drummers. Examples: Chick corea electric band (Dave Weckl), Porcupine tree (Gavin Harrison), Dream theater (Mike Portnoy) and many more to list !

Anyway, I just bought a custom made fusion-size maple kit and spent some good money on Sabian cymbals (22 HHX legacy ride, aax 14 stage hats, aax 16 crash), some Remo ambassadors on all the kit and a Powerstroke pro on the kick, hole in the kick reso head etc...

My question is:

Should i really spend the money on a Scarlett 18i20 and a shure drum mics kit so i can record my drum kit into my songs ? or should i just buy the smaller scarlett 6i6 and stick with finger drumming my drum tracks on the Korg Kronos into my songs ? I do have a fairly good experience in mixing a kit and multitracking in general and i use Ableton live as my main DAW along with a large collection of VST effects etc.

Here's a example of what i do on the Kronos with drums. The drum track is recorded live in one take, no overdubbing, simply me finger-drumming live on the keyboard with both hands: https://soundcloud.com/rabih-rihana/tell-me

Thanks in advance and sorry for the very long intro !

Regards
levioter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi tdwctdwc,
why not buying an Edrum and a good VSTi like the toontrack Superior Drummer 2 app ?
In this case you may have a "pro studio" sound right out of the box and the ability to have only midi events when recording your track live !
The midi events then could be edited to remove small bugs and other tweaks you may think of !
Drums are very difficult to capture without a pro set of mics and an excellent acoustic drum set + tuned heads.

Cheers Very Happy
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is very impressive finger drumming.
Diego5150
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levioter wrote:
Hi tdwctdwc,
why not buying an Edrum and a good VSTi like the toontrack Superior Drummer 2 app ?
In this case you may have a "pro studio" sound right out of the box and the ability to have only midi events when recording your track live !
The midi events then could be edited to remove small bugs and other tweaks you may think of !
Drums are very difficult to capture without a pro set of mics and an excellent acoustic drum set + tuned heads.

Cheers Very Happy

+1 Either Superior Drummer or EZ Drummer are both excellent choices.

As far as an audio interface goes, if you are recording multiple instruments than or want them for future use than an Audio Interface with multiple inputs is a must. I like Scarlett brand, they are good quality and a fair price. I currentlt have the Apogee Quartet which has 4 inputs and it also supports ADAT for further expansion. Good luck with your choice and great job finger drumming.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most natural (if not cleanest) sound I would always go for the real drums, provided you have a half decent room to record them in and are willing to spend some on mics.

I'm not a drummer but in my (and drummer friends) experience, eDrums with software still has very little to do with actual drums. Since you already have a good kit AND can finger drum for the electronic approach, I would sooner put money into mics than into eDrums.

As a separate point, I like Ableton for many things, but not for multitracking, let alone take comping. I don't know if you already have a lot of experience with this or if you have any other DAWs at your disposal but that could also be worth checking out.
tdwctdwc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your replies !

I think i'm gonna go ahead and order the 18i20 sound card along with a set of Shure DMK57-52.

It's an addition i wanted to do to my recording setup for a while now and i think it doesn't hurt to have it on the long run.

Best Regards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: