Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Portable home monitor for new Electribes- ideas wanted

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robosardine
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Portable home monitor for new Electribes- ideas wanted Reply with quote

Hi- not long to go now!!!

Now that the Electribes are going to be battery operated- can anyone suggest a decent clean sounding small inexpensive way for listening to the output (not headphones) around the home. I am thinking about something I can easily pick up and move from sitting room to bedroom or whatever to play with before eventually returning the Electribe to join up with the rest of my set up-where the adaptor will be waiting ready to plug in. I have one of these tiny guitar amps at the moment- but I'm not too comfortable with it's performance.

Cheers Smile
Tarekith
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean something like a Jam Box?
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say inexpensive, how much are you willing to spend? Because the cheaper speakers just don't cut it.

ADD: This is a useful thread. It will be good to post quality but affordable products here to use. But keep in mind you want to suggest stereo units, to make use of the panning feature of the electribes and probably some of their effects, too.
Blue Monster 65

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are all kinds of small, inexpensive keyboard amplifiers and mini-PA systems that would probably fit the bill some are even battery powered.

What's your budget and what do you really hope to accomplish? Fill the house with sound or ... ?
Buska

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/iloud/

or

http://worldwide.bose.com/axa/en_au/web/soundlink_mini/page.html

Bose soundlink mini has a 3.5mm input jack on the side and this thig sounds very good and is tiny! Long battery life too
Tom 62

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Bose Soundlink Mini since over a year, mostly for my battery operated gear, but sometimes also with my EMX. It is the perfect solution for Microkorg, Volca, etc. However, I wouldn't finish a mix on the Bose. But for jamming it is perfectly.
robosardine
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi- Thanks for the replies. I was meaning something small and ultra cheap (£50 maximum)- just so that I can get a half decent sound just beside me when I am practicing/jamming in the house (maybe on top of my bed)- so it's just for me to hear the electribe- it doesn't need to be at all loud. I know there are lots out there- so I was hoping to find a sort of 'best buy' for the job at a cheap price sort of thing.
It's more of a convenience purchase I'm looking for- so it doesn't need a high spec or anything.
Cheers
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I figured. But does it have to be battery operated?

I think these are pretty decent for your price range:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-970264-0403-X-140-2-0-Speakers/dp/B000IF4788/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1414078062&sr=1-11&keywords=logitech+speakers

They're not battery operated and not the smallest but I think they can handle bass ok.
Tarekith
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dumb question, but why not just use headphones if it's only for you?
Buska

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robosardine wrote:
Hi- Thanks for the replies. I was meaning something small and ultra cheap (£50 maximum)- just so that I can get a half decent sound just beside me when I am practicing/jamming in the house (maybe on top of my bed)- so it's just for me to hear the electribe- it doesn't need to be at all loud. I know there are lots out there- so I was hoping to find a sort of 'best buy' for the job at a cheap price sort of thing.
It's more of a convenience purchase I'm looking for- so it doesn't need a high spec or anything.
Cheers

Ebay! Those Bose units sometimes go nice and cheap on ebay!!

But if I was you I would get some nice comfortable open back headphones, your ears won't get all sweaty and it will sound a lot better than any cheap portable speakers
robosardine
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks- it doesn't have to be battery operated- but then it would have to be passive as I don't want to be plugging it in to the wall. Also I would prefer just a single speaker.
I find that when using headphones to compose that it rarely transfers well to a master so I either need to remix it or worse still scrap it all together- so my preference is to have a monitor which usually avoids this scenario. When I am composing with my set up- I always listen to speakers as opposed to headphones. I know that this will not be everyones cup of tea- but it seems to work for me. Smile

Cheers
Buska

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robosardine wrote:
Thanks- it doesn't have to be battery operated- but then it would have to be passive as I don't want to be plugging it in to the wall. Also I would prefer just a single speaker.
I find that when using headphones to compose that it rarely transfers well to a master so I either need to remix it or worse still scrap it all together- so my preference is to have a monitor which usually avoids this scenario. When I am composing with my set up- I always listen to speakers as opposed to headphones. I know that this will not be everyones cup of tea- but it seems to work for me. Smile

Cheers

Well in that case I maintain the Bose recommendation. I used to sell speaker docks at my work (worked in the audio section of a big retailer) and I can't really recommend any of the cheap docks over headphones, the readjustments to make at the master stage would be much larger with a speaker dock as they have a very different frequency response, often lacking in bass and with louder mid and high frequencies. Is it the stereo field in the headphones that gives you the problems (as you mentioned you like using a single speaker)? You could try a stereo>mono adapter on some headphones if that helps (not something I would do)?

Anyway as with all these things, you get what you pay for. If you just want a cheap speaker just go to a shop and try a few models with a volca/electribe. You don't have to buy anything, and if one suits your needs at the right price than buy it. Also I will say again, ebay.. Great way to get more bang for your buck..
Buska

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robosardine wrote:

I find that when using headphones to compose that it rarely transfers well to a master so I either need to remix it or worse still scrap it all together

Btw have you ever tried studio monitor headphones? Just wondering as I mix with headphones and monitor speakers and they both have strenghs. I never have had to remix or scrap anything made on headphones, maybe adjust some eq or levels etc but your experience is quite drastic, pardon my French but are your headphones shite?

Laughing
robosardine
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buska wrote:

Btw have you ever tried studio monitor headphones? Just wondering as I mix with headphones and monitor speakers and they both have strenghs. I never have had to remix or scrap anything made on headphones, maybe adjust some eq or levels etc but your experience is quite drastic
Laughing

And so-in some ways- was your reply Smile My headphones are more than decent. Despite my drastic experience- I have managed to survive it and am perfectly happy with my finished productions.
Just to reiterate- I am not looking for advice on where I can buy or test a monitor-or how to go about the business of recording music. I am well aware of these options- I am merely looking for suggestions as to any specific monitors that members have come across that they might recommend within the parameters & budget I described- should such a thing exist.

Many thanks
Buska

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robosardine wrote:
Buska wrote:

Btw have you ever tried studio monitor headphones? Just wondering as I mix with headphones and monitor speakers and they both have strenghs. I never have had to remix or scrap anything made on headphones, maybe adjust some eq or levels etc but your experience is quite drastic
Laughing

And so-in some ways- was your reply Smile My headphones are more than decent. Despite my drastic experience- I have managed to survive it and am perfectly happy with my finished productions.
Just to reiterate- I am not looking for advice on where I can buy or test a monitor-or how to go about the business of recording music. I am well aware of these options- I am merely looking for suggestions as to any specific monitors that members have come across that they might recommend within the parameters & budget I described- should such a thing exist.

Many thanks

Sorry didn't mean to offend, I will see myself out..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: