Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New SSD questions.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: New SSD questions. Reply with quote

I just bought a Samsung 840EVO 120 Giga Byte SSD to add as a second drive in my Kronos.
Has anybody installed one of these or do you know how well they work in my Kronos?
I probably shouldn't have bought it but I was in a computer store yesterday and it was on sale.

Another question is, what RAM card is recommended?

Thanks in advance!

Jeremykeys, the impetuous impulse shopper!
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done this - works GREAT - hope this helps:-

Sharp's video:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HNKJknDf6w

And another….
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r_d2T4q_Yk

RAM:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjJaG89t7lk

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
ahutnick

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought that same exact SSD and had someone install it on my 61 Kronos and it worked great. I recently sold that Kronos 61 to get the 88 key Kronos X however that's a story for another thread. Samsungs are rated highly for their longevity so you picked a good one.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's great! Thank you very much!

If I remember correctly, there was something special about the cable. It had to have an angle connector on one end. Do you know if it's a right or left angle? I think this might be important. Also, what is the recommended length? I assume that I can by one of these cable at any good computer parts store along with the RAM card. Is it necessary to replace the old one in the Kronos or can I just buy another and does it have to be the same manufacturer as the one already in my Kronos?

Thanks again!

All help is always greatly appreciated!

Jeremykeys
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsung seem to be untouchable lately for everything they product.

I was reading that they have some new 3D Chip that's going to allow them to product very large sized SSD's at a price point that will compete directly with traditional hard disks. Not only that, this new chip is super reliable too. So much so that they are talking about a 10 year warranty from the factory.

Regards
Sharp.

Last edited by Sharp on Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure to update the firmware of Samsung Evo 840 before you put it into your Kronos, it has fixed a quite nasty read performance bug that was spotted several months ago.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8617/samsung-releases-firmware-update-to-fix-the-ssd-840-evo-read-performance-bug
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
Make sure to update the firmware of Samsung Evo 840 before you put it into your Kronos, it has fixed a quite nasty read performance bug that was spotted several months ago.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8617/samsung-releases-firmware-update-to-fix-the-ssd-840-evo-read-performance-bug

I'm not sure how I would actually do this. Would I have to first, install it into a computer tower and then proceed with the update? Take it out and re-install it into my Kronos?
That's definitely more trouble than I'm prepared to go through. Rolling Eyes
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you do it in a desktop computer first. It's definitely something you should do because performance of the drive will dwindle far sooner than it should have, because of this critical performance bug. Anyone owning Evo 840 or Evo 840 Pro should do it no questions asked.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. I've got an 840 EVO as my main drive in this new desktop PC I built same month I got my Kronos (guess you all know now what I spent my tax return on)...

Looks like the process could take a few hours, and recommends running nothing else... guess I'll wait to overnight to update.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks. I'm not prepared to go through all that trouble. Looks like I'll just have to return it and get a different one. Thanks for all the info! I would have hated to have installed it into my Kronos and then find out the problems.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think for something that takes a few hours you come off a bit whiny here... It's a great drive, apart from that issue which is fixed by a simple firmware update. A couple of hours is all it takes. Big deal.

Or you can go and buy the more expensive 850 which is even better (and so fast that Kronos can't utilize its full speed even), and it doesn't have that bug.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, ED. I have two 840 EVOs, I hadn't heard of this issue before and they are great value for money disks with good reviews. I've just downloaded the utility and am about to update my sample disk.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sweat Smile
ahutnick

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ED for the info about the Samsung SSD. How long should the SATA cable be?
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the length of the cable matters much. You'll be fine even if it's a meter long.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: