Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tune your KRONOS to 432hz
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You missed the main part of my message. Wink
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use headphones ... Tune one channel to 440 and the other to 432. It will produce Binaural Beats at a frequency of 8Hz which is the low end of Mu waves.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a different substance or different size plate and you'll get different results.
I don't think I dismissed anything, I actually went pretty much point by point. But I guess I'm with Jim here, let's agree to disagree and come together on Korg stuff Smile
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:

lol... sorry. Thank you. I missed that. My daughter distracted me for a moment, so it's was very nice distraction. It's been a crazy day here for me and I'm worn out. I had 15 special needs kids in the Studio today for a Christmas CD.

Regards
Sharp.
Cpilot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 14 musical instruments (one of which is a guitar that I never play), and they're all tuned to 440Hz. So if I tuned my Kronos to 432Hz it would sound rather strange alongside the others. It's not even a semitone. So I think I'll stay with 440Hz for now.
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fibonacci spiral in nature

psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a hard science guy. But I do see some points to be made for "the other side". I'm going to try to broker a middle ground: science and hard facts are good, but rigid and/or accepted practices aren't necessarily the best choice (if we but had the option to choose imposing standards in a relentless multi-valued society...)

Question

Standards and traditions and science can provide a good deal of productive organization for us biological organisms otherwise known as humans. This is the stability, and growth and complexity, that society gives us. For some individuals though, certain "standards" might be more constraint than liberation...

Cop

For example, the first few decades of rock guitar experiments saw a lot of gravitating to the "natural" open chord progressions in the keys of E, A, D, and G, and of course the basic acoustic guitar chords with open strings -- C, G, D, Fmaj7, what have you. Whatever it was, songs and therefore vocal ranges were centered around this.

When it was discovered by more and more than tuning down from E A D G B E on the guitar made for some really heavy sounding stuff, an alternative was formed. Hello E flat. Hiya Drop D. Low C#!?! Metal "sounds" heavy because lower is looser. Alternative rock and alternative metal relies on alternative tunings.

There always is a culture of the alternative. Twisted Evil

The reasons are many, but they include thinking outside of the box, sincere creative exploration, and expanding boundaries, as well as misinterpretation, intended deviation, and outright rebellion.

As SanderExpander has pointed out, A440 took a long while to arrive as a standard, and is not universal.

But our numbering system is likewise not universal. "440" is an arbitrary number we draw up... the time length of 1 Hertz is also a human invention. Natural nature doesn't care if we use A440 or A441 or A435 or just or Arabic or Indian intonations. Arguing numerological arguments are closed-system arguments based on an arbitrary and changing numbering system.

However...

Objects in nature DO resonate at natural frequencies. And those frequencies often do *not* match A440.

One convoluted example is the AC electricity (mains) that come from the power plants in the US -- this is 60Hz.

Unfortunately for bass players, and rock bands in general, is that that 60Hz frequency lies between a low A and a low B. At A440, that electrical hum is very dissonant with either A or B, and therefore all keys that use those notes...

A better choice of reference frequency in the US *could* be A480. Idea

Mathematically, and numerologically(!), 480 is very divisible. Best of all, it puts low A at 60 Hz, in consonance with the electrical hum. The gut feeling in the electrified musician and the electronic audience would be better sympathetic resonance for the important guitar keys of E A D G.

Unfortunately, what works in theory is often what is not used in practice. Go figure. Shocked

Bottom line for me is this: please, please do use A440 because standards are generally good. (AC/DC didn't, and it sucks trying to play along with their out-of-tune but rocking songs). But... keep your options open... and experiment... think outside the box... expand boundaries... Whatever floats your boat and spawns creativity can't be all bad.

Rebel if you need to. But it's much more effective to first master the internal rules of "the system", and then to artistically defy the system by breaking their rules right in front of their unbelieving eyes and ears.

Loosely structured chaos within defined organizational parameters reaps much more satisfaction upon an audience than just pure chaos. This is how you tell the difference between a psychotic genius artist and a noise-making never-was wanna-be pretender. Right?

Rolling Eyes

(Can you tell I have some free time today?)
slowtrain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
jimknopf wrote:

lol... sorry. Thank you. I missed that. My daughter distracted me for a moment, so it's was very nice distraction. It's been a crazy day here for me and I'm worn out. I had 15 special needs kids in the Studio today for a Christmas CD.

Regards
Sharp.

That's really nice Sharp. Cheers Beer
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both sides are interesting, In mandolin building particularly carved top, there are whole groups of people who study Chaladi patterns and how they are connected to the instruments, which instruments sound good which don;t which patterns tend to appear in the instruments people prefer how the patterns change once a top plate is joined to the rim and the back etc.

I know of one man who also performs tv holography on instrument plates and instruments and try making comparisons.

Now with that comment I will switch gears and ask how all of this ties into some of the crazy stringed instruments of the middle east or far east.

I have tried various sweetened tunings on guitar and did not like them. I am now interested to see what frequency a guitar I tune by ear is playing at. I know according to my strobe it is usually a bit flatter then A=440Hz.

And now I will leave and pretend that I contributed in some way to a subject that I find interesting but know little about.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningman67 wrote:

That's a good example of actual *math* in nature, as opposed to the mystical 432Hz *numerology.*
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningman67 wrote:

Hey, you forgot the fingerprint spiral.

I'm going to go watch the Darren Aronofski's Pi movie, again. Twisted Evil

Now, don't forget - man already went to the moon and Mars, before the great flood caused us to reset technology. Not all the patterns, viewed from the air, were made by aliens.

We need to use EMP blasts to nuetralize AL 26, in the Vile Vortexes, or we'll be toast.

And, what has happened to our belief systems. The Force has been redifined as a few people having a bunch of Midichorians? Is that the same as "energy generated by all living things?" I wouldn't mind using the force of a few cheetahs, so I can lose some weight.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
runningman67 wrote:

That's a good example of actual *math* in nature, as opposed to the mystical 432Hz *numerology.*

Hi Dan.
What I've been talking about is not numerology. I've simply being trying to point out the maths science has now allowed us to measure.

If one were to consider what I've being saying numerology, then that's as bad as calling science witchcraft.

Regards
Sharp.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK guys, so in an attempt to soothe my mind, I tried to adjust my Kronos master tune in GLOBAL mode to EXACTLY 432 - but it doesn't seem possible - I can get very close but is that still going to leave me unbalanced….?

Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
OK guys, so in an attempt to soothe my mind, I tried to adjust my Kronos master tune in GLOBAL mode to EXACTLY 432 - but it doesn't seem possible - I can get very close but is that still going to leave me unbalanced….?

Very Happy

Haven't got a clue about all the neural expects of sounds and how it effects the brain. But for the purpose of tuning your KRONOS, in very crude terms think of it like tuning a radio station in. The closer you get to the right frequency the clearer the radio station gets. So it's a matter of getting as close as possible to the right frequency.

This is something it would seem only provable by visual experiments. For example sending signals though water and watching the ripple on the surface. Random notes where middle A was tuned to at 432Hz produce very clear geometric shapes. The same notes tuned to middle A at 440Hz look muddy.

From an Audio point of view, weather or not there are any benefits in 440 vs 432, I've no clue. It's how the scale of 423Hz can be found all over the place in nature that fascinates me more.

John Hendry would be the right guy to jump into this thread. He knows more about the science behind resonance and vibrations than the entire community put together.

Regards
Sharp.
buschmann

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've studied the kammertonen and tempraments for a while when i was doing my bachelorthesis. My conclution is in accordance with SanderXpander and some of the others that the 440 is arbitrary in the scence that it has risen in parallel with our musical instruments technology; Shorter instruments gave less tention and hence lower kammertonen. The fact that 432 has risin to power again is partly because of Verdi, who in the 1800s (1800-1900 in europa) was in the forefront of institutionalization the kammertonen, which was all over the place.

To the point of 432 being the center of something magical.. This is at best a new wave movement frontet by wierd guys on yogamats. It looks pretty and has some numbers that happen to look "just right". No evidence what so ever, and most likely just a coincidence. Sorry, hertz freaks.

If you really want to tingle the academic in me, talk about temperaments and how it may affect us. While not a favorite with musicologists it at least has some academic traction. I cant remeber the professor that has written most about this, but check this video out:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: