Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So I got the new Electribe...now my thoughts on it.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Olivander12

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sauce wrote:

I felt that all of my concerns were valid, so I wondered if perhaps you were used to working with other gear. I was not hating on you at all.

Ok, it sounded a bit like that but we are allright then.

I think that Korg wants to have an electribe which does not plays in the same field like, for example, an octatrack. They want to fill the lower price segment of grooveboxes. You pay 400 bucks and I heavily doubt that there is any alternative for the electribe with such a price tag. Even two volcas almost costs as much as the new tribe, so I think that you get a lot for your money.
Of course, it would be great to have a pro-electribe with better midi, song mode, indivudal outputs, but I do not think that this would be the better option for Korg.
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivander12 wrote:
sauce wrote:

I felt that all of my concerns were valid, so I wondered if perhaps you were used to working with other gear. I was not hating on you at all.

Ok, it sounded a bit like that but we are allright then.

I think that Korg wants to have an electribe which does not plays in the same field like, for example, an octatrack. They want to fill the lower price segment of grooveboxes. You pay 400 bucks and I heavily doubt that there is any alternative for the electribe with such a price tag. Even two volcas almost costs as much as the new tribe, so I think that you get a lot for your money.
Of course, it would be great to have a pro-electribe with better midi, song mode, indivudal outputs, but I do not think that this would be the better option for Korg.

I think you have nailed it there. Thinking of the new Electribes as the "new" Esx-1/Emx-1 is going to lead to disappointment. They are different members of the same family.

Volca Sample, FM, Beats, Kick. OP-1, Monologue, Pocket Operators. And an ipad.
sauce
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivander12 wrote:
They want to fill the lower price segment of grooveboxes. You pay 400 bucks and I heavily doubt that there is any alternative for the electribe with such a price tag. Even two volcas almost costs as much as the new tribe, so I think that you get a lot for your money.

This is a good point, and is something I would do well to remember. Still, I think for Korg to call this an Electribe is a failure and an insult to the Electribe user base. We have been asking for a new Electribe for years, and with our requests we have addressed all of the major shortcomings of the ESX/EMX. Now they release this.. lol. Like I said in a different post, they should have just called the Microsampler an Electribe.

apapdop wrote:
They are different members of the same family

I don't really think so. This new unit doesn't share any of the general attributes of any of the Electribes, in my opinion. The entire layout is different, and the *incredible* performance value seems to be missing, which is the backbone of even the earliest Electribe models. This guy is a member of the family like when your pristine, well-educated daughter leaves home for six weeks and comes back married to some dude from the carnival.
sauce
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait for the Electribe Sampler to come out.. I can hear it now; "What?! We waited TEN YEARS for an ESX upgrade, and you give us *this*??!! This is nothing like the ESX.."

Korgs response:

"What do mean it's nothing like the ESX? You still get 285 seconds of sampling time!"
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sauce wrote:

I don't really think so. This new unit doesn't share any of the general attributes of any of the Electribes, in my opinion. The entire layout is different, and the *incredible* performance value seems to be missing, which is the backbone of even the earliest Electribe models. This guy is a member of the family like when your pristine, well-educated daughter leaves home for six weeks and comes back married to some dude from the carnival.

Ah, now i'm seeing plenty of performance features that are a step in the right direction. I'm seeing a nice blue LED that lets me know which part is active. I'm seeing large, velocity sensitive pads. I'm seeing a better implemented Mute feature. I'm seeing knobs that can operate in pass through mode. I'm seeing polyphony. I'm seeing chords, scales. I'm seeing many, many more modulation choices. I'm seeing a Step Jump feature which i like the look of. And yes, to be fair, there are a few things missing that i wish were included. But maybe folk are forgetting how rudimentary some of the Electribes were BEFORE our beloved blue/red monsters. It seems Korg has chosen to pitch this somewhere between the two ends of the Electribe scale. And from what i've heard and read, the Electribe soul is there.

Tarekith
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree completely, this is sooo much more performance friendly to me too. I get being upset with 4 bars instead of 8, but in every other way it looks like a huge update to me.

I'm completely baffled by all the complaints, personally I think this is exactly the kind of update the Electribes needed. It's not a new EMX, it's a new Electribe. Smile
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarekith wrote:
I agree completely, this is sooo much more performance friendly to me too. I get being upset with 4 bars instead of 8, but in every other way it looks like a huge update to me.

I'm completely baffled by all the complaints, personally I think this is exactly the kind of update the Electribes needed. It's not a new EMX, it's a new Electribe. Smile

Word, I'm kinda with you on this. Performance wise, it looks very fluid. One thing, I feel like most of the complaints are coming from previous EMX owners/users. Understandably so, of course, because from their perspective this can be considered a watered down electribe. But for someone like me who has never owned an EMX/ESX but is familiar with the electribe family and owns the older models, I'm very interested in this new unit.

I really get the feeling this new electribe is not focused on EMX/ESX users. I know that sucks being that you guys have waited a while for a new tribe. To me it seems like Korg is riding the wave they started with the monotrons, Monotribe, and Volcas. And I think Olivander12 has made a pretty keen observation about Korg's decisions here.
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarekith wrote:

I keep forgetting to mention, one of the things that has me clapping my hands with joy is the fact that the new Electribes can run off batteries. Any iPad musician will know how liberating this is. In fact, if Korg put a shitty little speaker on it too, like they do on the Volcas, then that would be perfect.

Tarekith
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, the batteries are huge deal for me too. I frequently bring my iPad with me to local parks to write music. Will be nice to bring something like the Electribe instead.
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember to change/select the battery type in the settings.... Dunno why they made it this way but i expect it's about efficiancy... Or something !
Tarekith
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It says in the manual it allows them to better predict the battery life for the display.
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran mine on batts for a couple of days while waiting for an aftermarket psu. In the battery power save mode i got a hum through my monitors. Nothing hindering though, i just made a mental note that's all.
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be seen as a KaOscillator with sequencer /editable synth engine strapped on (which must of been on many KO users wish list).
DrHoo said we can modulate filter and one other destination at the same time with mod source-which seems nice.
I would of liked the Y axis of the pad as a mod source..
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apapdop wrote:

In fact, if Korg put a shitty little speaker on it too, like they do on the Volcas, then that would be perfect.

Nah, that'd just take up space! qSmile

I honestly hate those crappy speakers, headphones top any day.
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrHoo wrote:
I ran mine on batts for a couple of days while waiting for an aftermarket psu. In the battery power save mode i got a hum through my monitors. Nothing hindering though, i just made a mental note that's all.

Here's a question, what's the noise floor like on the new'un? My esx-1 is a noisy bastard...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: