Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Combi mode not playing all patches

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brokengem

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:37 am    Post subject: Combi mode not playing all patches Reply with quote

I have a combi I created where the board is primarily set up to just run the Melancholy Piano patch, but I also have an arrpagiator running in the lowest octave with a bass sound on it.

I am trying to add in a Lead Sine type of patch as well, but it will not play. If I change to some other patches on the channel it will work, but the sounds I'm going for are not available.

Any ideas why this might be?
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First the channel (timbre) needs to be turned on.

It needs to be set to an INT (interior) patch and not sending the played notes to EXT (external sound source).

Finally the midi channel should be set to global or channel 1 in order to be heard.

--------
Some empty, OFF, non-sounding and open looking tracks actually have an active function and shouldn't be messed with or over-written.

Triton (and I'm assuming your M-series and probably Krome) uses a configuration where a "ghost mute" (my term) channel is paired with some timbres in some combinations - most typically this channel is paired with a drum patch. Its function is to act as a muting channel when the arpeggiator is turned OFF. In this paired configuration you hear drums only when the arpeggiator is ON; without that pairing you would hear the individual drums for each key you played.

I call it a "ghost mute" because unless you know what to look for in the set up there won't be an obvious reason why its not working and unless you know where to look in the manual you won't know that breaking the pairing will result in an equally annoying glitch where, hey, now I'm getting all these weird random drum noises when the arp isn't running. Ghosts in the machine.

The way to tell is to look at the arpeggiator assignment and see if that track is paired with another; one that you associate with the arp running (e.g., drums). If you see that it and a drum track are both assigned to arp A, that would be a clue.

It seems likely to me that you're trying to use one of those intentionally mute channels to add an audible timbre or track.

Just go to a truly open track and add your new timbre and everything should work the way you expect.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
brokengem

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it figured out. I had to change the parameters on the oscillators to make it work.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More info? [Everything you share re: fixes helps someone else out.]

Which oscillator? Name of the program? trying to integrate an expansion?

--------

Was there a legacy restriction on the track from a previous voice in a copied combi -- i.e., use OSC2 only?

That is a trick I've seen used before that allowed Korg programmers to get the flavor of some voices in a layer without overburdening a synth's not-unlimited polyphony. 8 tracks of 2 OSC voices is 16 OSC per note, a 6 note chord is 96 oscillators, use a sustain and that makes 192 osc and you're stealing voices without really knowing why.

Using half a voice effectively doubles your available polyphony. Another benefit is that using OSC1 of one piano program and OSC2 of another gives you a subtly different piano within a combi even before EQ'ing or IFX. Ditto for "morphing" two synths.

A latent direction to use OSC2 will pretty much kill a one oscillator synth.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: