Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Went to update to 3.0.2 - DEAD KRONOS. :(
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
I called Korg's parts directly as well as my contact at the local authorized service center.

Who did you contact, specifically? What email address or phone number? Thanks.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale
This noisy 350W SMPS , isn't a solution at all , for all reasons ... Rolling Eyes
If your neighbor official Korg service is out of Enhance ENO-1612 stock , then order from here :
http://shop.torchcomputers.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=500

If you know a skilled technician then your next option is picoPSU-120-XT & a standard cheap 12v/100 W PSU for laptops to feed it
the best ever solution for Mini-ITX mainboards & peripherals , cheap/light and reliable I always use !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
lonelagranger

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman
Interested in your comments. I was not able to find the picoPSU-120xt. I did find a picoPSU-120. There are picoPSU-150xt and picoPSU-160xt. My question is can you use the picoPSU-120. If not, can you use a picoPSU-150xt. Thank you.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lonelagranger wrote:
AntonySharmman
Interested in your comments. I was not able to find the picoPSU-120xt. I did find a picoPSU-120. There are picoPSU-150xt and picoPSU-160xt. My question is can you use the picoPSU-120. If not, can you use a picoPSU-150xt. Thank you.

Sorry for "XT" adding , I'm using often 160XT Very Happy
You do not need more than 80 W in this case , see a simple example of two required components :
http://www.logicsupply.com/eu-en/components/power-supplies/picopsu/picopsu-120/
http://www.logicsupply.com/eu-en/components/power-supplies/ac-adapters/pw-12v10a-l5-eu/

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V

Last edited by AntonySharmman on Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
100% positive that this can be replaced with a recommended part. Parts Is Parts sells what they've got - that's it. Talk with Korg directly. (Also, I must admit that I'm disappointed in the service center you talked to, who imo must not have asked the right question when they talked with Korg.) Please remember the outcome of the last forum panic over a "discontinued" part.

I'll definitely call Korg directly but I called Parts is Parts because that's what the Korg website told me to do. When I called they said it was a special order part and they didn't keep them on hand so he put me on hold for a bit and came back and said he couldn't order it because it was no longer available. I then had him check for the Kronos X power supply and he confirmed it was the same part number.

Definitely not trying to start a panic. I've always learned that it's best to prepare for the worst but hope for the best in any situation. But for the record I want to say thanks for being here, helping when you can, and putting up with nonsense from time to time. It's rarely said but we greatly appreciate your presence here.

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
McHale wrote:
I called Korg's parts directly as well as my contact at the local authorized service center.

I called Parts is Parts. No idea who specifically I talked to. Whoever answered the phone. Nice guy though.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
McHale
This noisy 350W SMPS , isn't a solution at all , for all reasons ... Rolling Eyes
If your neighbor official Korg service is out of Enhance ENO-1612 stock , then order from here :
http://shop.torchcomputers.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=500

If you know a skilled technician then your next option is picoPSU-120-XT & a standard cheap 12v/100 W PSU for laptops to feed it
the best ever solution for Mini-ITX mainboards & peripherals , cheap/light and reliable I always use !

You rock. When I get home I'll check all that out. Currently at McDonald's having a quick bite before practice tonight. [Remember kids, always have a backup!]
lonelagranger

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sorry for "XT" adding , I'm using often 160XT Very Happy
You do not need more than 80 W in this case , see a simple example of two required components :
http://www.logicsupply.eu/power-supplies/dc-converters/picopsu-120
http://www.logicsupply.eu/power-supplies/ac-adapters/pw-12v8a3-l5

Thank you for the information. I watched videos using this combination and I think it would work great for the Kronos. I think it would be the coolest way to run the motherboard. Again, thank you for providing this valuable information.
danatkorg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
danatkorg wrote:
McHale wrote:

I called Parts is Parts. No idea who specifically I talked to. Whoever answered the phone. Nice guy though.

I may have misunderstood. You wrote "I called Korg's parts directly." Did that refer to Korg, or Parts Is Parts?
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
McHale wrote:
danatkorg wrote:
McHale wrote:

I may have misunderstood. You wrote "I called Korg's parts directly." Did that refer to Korg, or Parts Is Parts?

Parts is Parts. Based on the Korg support page, I thought that WAS the official Korg parts distribution for customers.
danatkorg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
danatkorg wrote:
100% positive that this can be replaced with a recommended part. Parts Is Parts sells what they've got - that's it. Talk with Korg directly. (Also, I must admit that I'm disappointed in the service center you talked to, who imo must not have asked the right question when they talked with Korg.) Please remember the outcome of the last forum panic over a "discontinued" part.

I'll definitely call Korg directly but I called Parts is Parts because that's what the Korg website told me to do. When I called they said it was a special order part and they didn't keep them on hand so he put me on hold for a bit and came back and said he couldn't order it because it was no longer available. I then had him check for the Kronos X power supply and he confirmed it was the same part number.

Definitely not trying to start a panic. I've always learned that it's best to prepare for the worst but hope for the best in any situation. But for the record I want to say thanks for being here, helping when you can, and putting up with nonsense from time to time. It's rarely said but we greatly appreciate your presence here.

-Mc

Thanks, McHale.

I'm sure the guy from Parts Is Parts was nice. The info they gave you is incorrect in three important respects, however: (1) The KRONOS X power supply assembly is not the same as the KRONOS; (2) The KRONOS X and the KRONOS2-61/73/88 use the same power supply; and (3) The KRONOS X/KRONOS2-61/73/88 power supply can be used with the original KRONOS by changing the cabling.

It should have been easy for your service center to find this out, too.

In general, it really seems like it's best to do what I always advise: contact the support department of your national Korg Distributor. They can assist you with such questions - that's their job! Parts Is Parts is not the same as Korg; their job is to sell parts, not provide support. If they tell you that they can't get a part for a KRONOS, ask what the replacement part is. If they don't know, your national Korg Distributor will be able to help. To my knowledge, there are no components in the KRONOS which cannot either be obtained directly, or replaced with a suitable substitute (from later models, for instance).

Hope this helps,

Dan
danatkorg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
But for the record I want to say thanks for being here, helping when you can, and putting up with nonsense from time to time. It's rarely said but we greatly appreciate your presence here.

-Mc

Thank you - I appreciate that very much.
chini

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: DAN Reply with quote

I would also like to chime in and thank Dan for his patience!

Often his suggestions for resolving user problems do not get the appreciative response they deserve.

Every music company should now have a decent web based knowledgable spokesperson for pros and amateurs alike.

Cheers Dan!

Always be true to yourself
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hear, hear!
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
In general, it really seems like it's best to do what I always advise: contact the support department of your national Korg Distributor. They can assist you with such questions - that's their job! Parts Is Parts is not the same as Korg; their job is to sell parts, not provide support.

As an aside, I sent an email to Korg's official support email address late last week (after calling KORG USA, of course) and I still haven't received a response from that email yet. Not sure how long it takes to get a response but I didn't even get an automated response giving me an estimate so it's kind of hard to say if anyone even got it or will respond.

-Mc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 5 of 11

Jump to: