Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

11 page EMX2 review in German
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom 62

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: 11 page EMX2 review in German Reply with quote

www.amazona.de/test-korg-electribe-2-groovebox

Conclusion ...

Pros: 16 dynamic and polyphonic parts, better sound, fx per part, characteristical filter types, easy-to-use microtiming

Cons: only 4 bars, no pattern chaining, more usage of menus (a.k.a. less direct control), no midi thru, no roll function
Olivander12

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Olivander12

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anybody is interested, Korg calls them "der Electribe". So the electribe is a he!

The review says that the synth offers as many options as the synth engine on the EMX did. The overall sound is better compared to the EMX. They say that more things have been added than removed. Generally, the reviews is very positiv, the negativ aspects are bascially pattern lenth, midi thru, more complicated menues and the lack of roll. The reviewer underlines that the electribe is unbeatable in this price segment.
Ted3000
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danke!

From that translated review I learned that if you want to sequence external poly gear, you can. Most little step sequencers (Arturia Beatstep and that sort of thing) are mono only - terrible for drum machines and polysynths.

I also wonder if the arpeggiator or the beat repeat style effect makes for a good "roll" substitute.
Tom 62

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reviewer has a lot of live experiences with older electribes. In my opinion the review is very qualified, faithfully and detailled. Such a review was overdued.
sauce
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 11 page EMX2 review in German Reply with quote

Tom 62 wrote:
easy-to-use microtiming

Fantastic. One concern resolved. =)
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But he's incorrect about the lack of pattern chaining. In fact, scanning through that review, he doesn't even mention the Event Recorder whatsoever. If he actually bothered to read the smaller owner's manual, he'd realize you can use it to chain patterns.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
Olivander12

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-Member wrote:
But he's incorrect about the lack of pattern chaining. In fact, scanning through that review, he doesn't even mention the Event Recorder whatsoever. If he actually bothered to read the smaller owner's manual, he'd realize you can use it to chain patterns.
He mentions the event recorder several times:

Quote:
Es gibt noch eine weitere Möglichkeit, aus dem Event Recorder heraus von einem Marker bis zu einem bestimmten Marker Audio auszugeben

Quote:
Dafür gibt es jedoch einen Event-Recorder, welcher auf SD-Karten eine aktuelle Performance aufzeichnet. Das geschieht in Datenform und ist dazu da, diese 1:1 zu wiederholen und wenn das passiert ist,
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 11 page EMX2 review in German Reply with quote

Tom 62 wrote:
www.amazona.de/test-korg-electribe-2-groovebox

Conclusion ...

Pros: 16 dynamic and polyphonic parts, better sound, fx per part, characteristical filter types, easy-to-use microtiming

Cons: only 4 bars, no pattern chaining, more usage of menus (a.k.a. less direct control), no midi thru, no roll function

Can you expand on what is meant by microtiming please? Do you mean swing?

Volca Sample, FM, Beats, Kick. OP-1, Monologue, Pocket Operators. And an ipad.
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivander12 wrote:
He mentions the event recorder several times:

Quote:
Es gibt noch eine weitere Möglichkeit, aus dem Event Recorder heraus von einem Marker bis zu einem bestimmten Marker Audio auszugeben

Quote:
Dafür gibt es jedoch einen Event-Recorder, welcher auf SD-Karten eine aktuelle Performance aufzeichnet. Das geschieht in Datenform und ist dazu da, diese 1:1 zu wiederholen und wenn das passiert ist,

Ah, I guess that didn't catch my eye. I read the review quickly via Google Translate on my phone. Haven't had my coffee this morning yet... zzzzz. Looking at it again though, he doesn't go into much detail about it.

To be honest, when these things were first announced, I wasn't going to get one because I saw it had no Song Mode. It's a deal breaker for a lot of other people as well, but that Event Recorder is the one thing that's changed my mind since it can be used as an alternative. I think people reviewing this machine should really point this feature out because it can change a lot of other people's minds about the product as well.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin

Last edited by Re-Member on Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tom 62

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 11 page EMX2 review in German Reply with quote

apapdop wrote:

The reviewer means the groove templates.
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 11 page EMX2 review in German Reply with quote

Tom 62 wrote:
apapdop wrote:

The reviewer means the groove templates.

Gotcha. Thankyou.

Volca Sample, FM, Beats, Kick. OP-1, Monologue, Pocket Operators. And an ipad.
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see some vids/sound demos of this groove function...Dr Hoo clarified that its basically an accent template, but still, I'd like to hear it in action. I'm curious if this is better than the normal accent function on the old electribes (I'm thinking it is because he also said you can set grooves for each part).
Tarekith
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does accent and timing. Really the manual covers it pretty well Smile
sauce
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 11 page EMX2 review in German Reply with quote

sauce wrote:
Tom 62 wrote:
easy-to-use microtiming

Fantastic. One concern resolved. =)

Oops. I read that as "microediting".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: