Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electribe 2 note tie issue
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KnowingWhatTheButtonDoes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In nutshell,
From the parameter guide:
If you specify "TIE," the oscillator, EG, and modulation are not retriggered if the next step has the same note.

Mines is always retriggering regardless of the osc type, despite being the same note in the same octave.
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="KnowingWhatTheButtonDoes"]In nutshell,
From the parameter guide:
If you specify "TIE," the oscillator, EG, and modulation are not retriggered if the next step has the same note.

That sounds like its saying "..will always retrigger envelope etc" if you use the same note (ie C5 followed by C5).Does it tie if moving to a new note (D5)?
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DrHoo
Yes the KPs/KOs would do that occasional clipping at the beginning of their drums.Something to do with free running oscillators starting half way through a wave form sometimes ,or that's what it looks like on a wave editor.(As opposed to retriggering osc every time.
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spheric El wrote:
Hi DrHoo
Yes the KPs/KOs would do that occasional clipping at the beginning of their drums.Something to do with free running oscillators starting half way through a wave form sometimes ,or that's what it looks like on a wave editor.(As opposed to retriggering osc every time.

Thanks, it makes sense, explains it really. It means the sound is already running & the program is appying a shape to it. Sometimes oddly it can compliment a sound.
KnowingWhatTheButtonDoes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Spheric El,
Sorry dude but im im baffled at how you could think the words "are not retriggered if the next step has the same note" sound like "..will always retrigger envelope etc. if you use the same note"
And drum sounds are beside the point since they are samples with inherent end times as opposed to running oscillators.
And as for tying if its a new note, well no, that contradicts the idea of a tie. A tie signifies that a note is still being held down.

Last edited by KnowingWhatTheButtonDoes on Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry @KnowingWhatTheButtonDoes your completely right and I completely read your post wrong..Thanks buddy,for clarification.
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a wild stab in the dark, but have you tried experimenting with the Glide setting?

Volca Sample, FM, Beats, Kick. OP-1, Monologue, Pocket Operators. And an ipad.
KnowingWhatTheButtonDoes

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just a wild stab in the dark, but have you tried experimenting with the Glide setting?

I tried adjusting the glide while playing back a sequence with a long tie. No luck with getting a sustained note
Also, if i make a sequntial sequence with different notes the osc bends to them smoothy (that is the osc doesnt reset just pitch shifts) but only with a glide value of around 40-45, weird. It acutually cuts almost straight back down to the root note beyond that.

In other news, ive figured out how/why the presets could have working ties
AND
Ive half figured out the issue...
Using realtime recording you can make sustained notes!!
When you look at their step edit screens they have ties all the way through.
Also (i think ive already said this), when purely step editing, there is no difference in the sound between a gate value of 96 and a tie.
So it seems, on my unit anyway, the tie function is doing NOTHING in Step Edit mode.
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So glad you posted this issue. I don't know if I will discover the same problem when I get my unit but At least I know where to got for some tips.
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music
sharps030

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do it if you record it. Works fine recording held keys in keyboard mode. But yeah, I couldn't get ties to work either when step sequencing.
KnowingWhatTheButtonDoes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, the method is to use record, holding down the respective pad for roughly how long you want the note. Then if you need to correct (or edit to taste) the start/end of the note, you need to de-trigger those steps.

Think of it like "Subtractive Step-Sequencing". Its actually starting to feed into my creative process pretty well and is less time consuming and tedious than setting each tie manually.

Still I resent paying $550 for a machine that doesnt do what the manual says it does. Thats grounds under our fair trading laws for a refund but I love it too much otherwise to let it go.
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharps030 wrote:
You can do it if you record it. Works fine recording held keys in keyboard mode. But yeah, I couldn't get ties to work either when step sequencing.

Which is sorta how I play my padkontrol with the Volca Keys, except that the final record result is not a solid tied note. I am so glad this trick works and the key will be recorded in the way I would (strangely) expect.

However I am sorta bummed that this is probably not the most desireable way to get Note Ties...and that you are all experiencing that what the manual says and what actually happens it so different.

I hope more tips on this issue get discovered.
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music
Ted3000
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want to be able to properly tie 2 notes through the sequencer, then set the electribe into an autoglide mode - where lied legato notes are effected by the glide amount, and untied notes retrigger envelope and don't glide. You know, for 303-style action.

I'd also like to set a note length (not just gate time) like on the EMX as well. Overlapping notes on the EMX were legato.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: