Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A handy tip for new patterns on the EMX 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: A handy tip for new patterns on the EMX 2 Reply with quote

Like the emx1 all 'initialised' patterns are presented with a default group of instruments & a 4x4 kick. Also the pattern is at full volume.

A few small exersizes before starting to write a new pattern from scratch can be a very good basic start point to workflow for every new pattern & this is just 1 example & the way i do it.
This is not a mandatory exersize, just some simple pointers for anyone unaware

1. Go into the main menu for your proposed pattern & find the 'Pattern level' parameter. It will be set at its full 127. Turn it down to 100 (Or your preferred volume)

Lets say that your master out is set at the 3 0'clock position & you don't plan on moving it. This first step is to allow for some respectable headroom no matter what.

2. Starting at part/pad number 1 & using the part curser buttons, toggle each part one at a time & set the volume for each at around 60.

You can set them anywhere you like really but the purpose of this again is to allow plenty of headroom. It's also because the entire mix will be WAY TOO LOUD otherwise & so will each part.

3. Consider each part that you are editing as you get to that part & be sure to select the appropriate voice mode in the part menu, MONO1, MONO2, POLY1, POLY2.

Why ? Because by selecting mono for drum parts you are freeing up extra voices for those synth parts. Even a bass is often good as a mono even if it's a synth bass. It doesn't mean ypu have to leave setting that way, they can still be changed at any time you like

4. PRIORITY ! Parts can individually be set to either 'normal' or 'high' priority & those set to 'high' will, in theory', play their full phrase rather than move over or make room for other sounds.

When you have just a few sounds playing it might not matter too much but once more than half the parts are sounding together you'll notice sounds being cut out before their phraze has finished playing to allow other parts to continue. Couple this theory with the bit about mono/poly selecting.

5. DON'T FORGET TO 'WRITE' BEFORE LEAVING THE PATTERN OR SWITCHING OFF.

...... I might add more later.

Last edited by DrHoo on Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:26 am; edited 1 time in total
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good tips and thankyou. My new toy should be with me tomorrow!! Get in...

Volca Sample, FM, Beats, Kick. OP-1, Monologue, Pocket Operators. And an ipad.
Tarekith
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff, thanks for reminding people about headroom Smile
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dr, useful stuff to keep in mind when I get mine.

Interesting because there will be different camps of tribers - those who have used the EMX/ESX and those who haven't. And then those who kinda fall somewhere in the middle, like me, who've used the originals but not the X series. But of course, I'm interested in what the X veterans like you, sauce, and the like have to say, because there is certainly carryover tips from the Xs to these new ones. So any tips you can translate to these, I look most forward to :B
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there are are no hard & fast rules, people do what they do & get different results. I'm just attemting to suggest my ideas. I've never understood why Korg have always gone for 100% volume as default on everything & i imagine it's caused confusion in the past. I'm sure i read in the emx & esx manual, regarding master volume, something like "you'll want to turn this up to max to ensure you get full volume out"..... Yeah alright, whatever they say !
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrHoo wrote:
Well, there are are no hard & fast rules, people do what they do & get different results. I'm just attemting to suggest my ideas. I've never understood why Korg have always gone for 100% volume as default on everything & i imagine it's caused confusion in the past. I'm sure i read in the emx & esx manual, regarding master volume, something like "you'll want to turn this up to max to ensure you get full volume out"..... Yeah alright, whatever they say !

Well this beats what I get to deal with regarding the microSampler...that thing is set way too low from a fresh start and then when you sample, that volume is automatically lower! So I am all for MAX volume. When it goes into the mixer, I just adjust my levels accordingly.

Looking forward to getting my new tribe. Thanks DrHoo for the tips. Your pattern tips look like they will be very helpful.
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMK wrote:
DrHoo wrote:

Well this beats what I get to deal with regarding the microSampler...that thing is set way too low from a fresh start and then when you sample, that volume is automatically lower! So I am all for MAX volume. When it goes into the mixer, I just adjust my levels accordingly.

Looking forward to getting my new tribe. Thanks DrHoo for the tips. Your pattern tips look like they will be very helpful.

So you're saying that you prefer 16 channels of sounds at full volume but that you would adjust them anyway ! Shocked I was coming from a headroom school of thought really. Not sure i understand the comparison with sampling on the micro sampler although if korg did set your sample level at full you would be left with zero headroom. In theory they got it right because you're supposed to set your recording level before sampling.
What i do know is that the default max volume across all parts on the tribe plus the max pattern level is more intended as a template for users to edit.
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrHoo wrote:
SMK wrote:
DrHoo wrote:

So you're saying that you prefer 16 channels of sounds at full volume but that you would adjust them anyway ! Shocked I was coming from a headroom school of thought really. Not sure i understand the comparison with sampling on the micro sampler although if korg did set your sample level at full you would be left with zero headroom. In theory they got it right because you're supposed to set your recording level before sampling.
What i do know is that the default max volume across all parts on the tribe plus the max pattern level is more intended as a template for users to edit.

Well for me it comes down to perspective. In a live situation I have all of my gear (about 5 synths and beat machines) at the max and I adjust the levels at the mixer. Once everything is balanced at mixer level (rude solo that kind of stuff) then I know I am getting the best performance from all of my gear.

In the new tribe, most people see 16 parts. On the other hand I see 9 to 13 different synth machines (9 if you use 8 parts for drums or 13 if you use 4 parts for drums). I understand the need to manage your head room in really taking the time to craft your tracks but for live I'm looking at the tribe as a container that has at the least 9 pieces of gear in one box and I need those machines to be heard well. I prefer to start loud and back off from there.

Not having a box like this may change my thoughts / theory on this however in my live performances my volume techniques have never led me astray.

As far as my issues with the micro sampler...to put it more simply the KP3 still to this day is the absolute best live sampler they have ever created. With the KP3 there is no messing around with setting your levels before sampling. The sample volume and the live volume are the exactly the same. This is something you have to have for performing live. In a studio I can see the rules being different. While Korg promoted the microSampler as a live performance tool it certainly is not. It could have been if they allowed one to save settings. Instead you have to (every time you sample) set the volume. In a live spontaneous situation it's a little difficult.

The microSampler is very much a studio machine and it is great for the studio, wonderful studio workflow and as many have said is superior solution than using a DAW.

Since the new Electribe Sampler is geared towards live use I do hope that it's sampling capabilities are more like the instant style of the KP3.
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music
Neon Seizure

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarekith wrote:
Good stuff, thanks for reminding people about headroom Smile

Hey, my guitar amp goes up to 11, so I think my Electribe should go up to 140! Very Happy
Tarekith
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must be a DJ Smile
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarekith wrote:
You must be a DJ Smile

My choices in effects and sound are definitely DJ inspired but What I do is far more experimental.

The band I'm in, we create new music on the fly. Very few pre-recorded tracks or sequences are ever used.

Immediacy is so important hence the need for a quick and effective sampler and relying on the the mixer for so much in controlling my volumes / equing.

More I think about it, the new Electribe will most likely change my habits and approach to sound control. So the warning about the maxed out volumes on a single box is good to know. Most of the gear I have been working with for so long are different boxes that were never loud enough for me. It is nice to hear that the new tribe will be a solid performer.
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music
Tarekith
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just kidding about the DJ thing, they typically are the ones who always want it louder Smile
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Pattern Volume being set the highest, you'll get the least amount of hiss if you are plugging it into a mixer or amp, or recording interface since any of those devices wouldn't need to be set as loud. It also means you have more headroom to work with overall using the main volume knob.

To give you an example:

Pattern Volume 100 + Volume knob turned up 100% = "Peak A"

If the Pattern Volume were set to 120, the volume knob would only need to be turned up by about 85% to reach "Peak A" and you'd still have room left to turn the knob to make it louder.

Besides, each Part's volume can be adjusted individually. Logically, you'd adjust things there rather than the entire pattern as a whole.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the discussion people... This is what makes tribe users what they are.
Tarekith
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pattern volume setting is a brilliant idea, that will come in so handy. One of the most time comsuming parts of setting up my previous hardware live sets was having to redo the mixdowns and balance everything track to track so the set was consistant. This will make it MUCH easier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: