Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Updating OS help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Classic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulmilner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Updating OS help Reply with quote

Hi
I wishing yo update to the latest os. I have bought some HD floppy discs which have have already been IBM formatted, is this the correct format for updating the triton?
Thanks
IsoldeandIsobelle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there.

I recently had to update the OS after acquiring a Triton Pro.

I had a lot of trouble using ''generic'' type disks.. it would get past the first one and then stall on all the rest, effectively ''bricking'' the Triton.

I bought some branded 2HD disks and it all went without an hitch from then on.

I did not format the disks on either the Triton or my PC - just used as is.

If you run in to trouble just keep going through the floppies you have until one that works... if all else fails - go buy another brand and try again.

You WILL get there in the end.
Good Luck. Very Happy
Paulmilner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.
The brand I have bought is "imation 2HD IBM formatted" which I beleave are a good brand. I want to try and do the update first time as the idea of " bricking" my triton which I presume means leaving the triton with no os at all worries me.
So even if the disks don't work and the triton is bricked you can keep trying with new discs?
If I can do a program/combi backup onto one of the discs without formatting the do you think this would be a good indication that the IBM format is compatible?
Thanks
Paul M
IsoldeandIsobelle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

The Imation disks are the ones that I used, they came in bright day-glo colours.
If you search around the forums, you will find that it is a common enough problem with people having difficulties updating the OS. It seems to be a combination of temperamental drives and disks... and aging technology.

The disks that I used to update the OS, I have subsequently reused to instal combi's, etc and they sometimes work, sometimes do not.. in most cases just reinserting the disk and loading again does the trick.

I had installed a ''new'' drive in to the Triton previous to all this, as the one that was in it was definitely worse for wear... although it did still, on occasion, read disks.

If the update procedure does not load the first OS disk, than the Triton will simply revert to its current OS - if, on the other hand, the first disk does install and the subsequent one does not, then you will not be able to boot up the Triton.

But, do not worry, keep going through the update inserting the appropriate disk until one works. If all else fails, turn off the Triton and try again another time... I do not think that any harm will come to it in its limbo state and eventually you will get the OS installed.
If the first disk installed correctly, maybe you could try using that same disk again to install disk 2 of the OS... although the drive will be searching like crazy whilst you prepare the disk.

At the end of the day, with the pack of disks that you have, I expect that you will get the job done... if it don't just go without an hitch with the first disks that you try.

Happy New Year Wink
Paulmilner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for you help and reassurance, much appreciated.
Happy New Year to you
Paul M
Paulmilner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I have just updated my triton. First I tried the update using the imation IBM formated discs as they came out of the box. This did not work so I formated the discs using my computer (PC) then reloaded the Korg update disc data. The update then went without a hitch, so I think the IBM format is not the same as Ms-dos format which is needed for the triton update disc.
Paul M
IsoldeandIsobelle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul.

That is great that it all went well... welcome to the 2.5.3 club. Very Happy
There seems to be many vagaries concerning this update procedure... either to format the disks on the Triton or PC or use as is straight out of the box.

Is it the drives or the disks?... one of life's great unanswered question I think.

Anyway, threads like this will help others in the future, because the whole OS update procedure is not an exact science and can be a bit nerve wracking for something seemingly so straight forward,

At least you only have to do it just the once.
Paulmilner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Yes, this thread would have been a great help for me when I realized an update was necessary. I hadn't seen 3.5 floppy discs for years and indeed difficult to find on the high street , but Maplin came to my rescue.
It is a bit of a nervous time watching the screen messages like "Now erasing ROM" and " Checking the system’s check sum" whatever than means, then crossing your fingers as you change to the next disc. But when all is done you know it was worth it.
Thank you again for your help!
Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Classic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: