Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EMX2 non dance music demos.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another track made by stepping through consecutive patterns and captured by the Event Recorder.

https://soundcloud.com/apapdop/sounds-from-tuesday-night-2

Enjoy...

Volca Sample, FM, Beats, Kick. OP-1, Monologue, Pocket Operators. And an ipad.
MaartenNl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apapdop wrote:
Another track made by stepping through consecutive patterns and captured by the Event Recorder.

Enjoy...

Wow, amazing! I dont' like it as music but as an trippy experience this is great (or sound). But iTS because i have not much experience with music/genre's like this.

So many questions how you did certain sounds, when i listen i couldnt believe it was all electribe 2. But i recognised Some stuff but the way you made it is Unique to me:).

Did you trigger sometimes only one or few notes on a whole track of 4 bars?
I think i have the wrong(?) habit of filling/sequencing each track to much, so there arent that much surprises in my patterns. Can you confirm this and give us Some tricks u used?
blackholesun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apapdop wrote:

Enjoy...

Bravo! That was awesome.
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, at first listen I'd easily believe this was the sampler, not the electribe2. Rich palette of sounds here, apapdop!!
Tarekith
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome work, really well done.
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for listening and the kind words people, much appreciated. Keep them tracks coming eh...

apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaartenNl wrote:
apapdop wrote:

Enjoy...

Wow, amazing! I dont' like it as music but as an trippy experience this is great (or sound). But iTS because i have not much experience with music/genre's like this.

So many questions how you did certain sounds, when i listen i couldnt believe it was all electribe 2. But i recognised Some stuff but the way you made it is Unique to me:).

Did you trigger sometimes only one or few notes on a whole track of 4 bars?
I think i have the wrong(?) habit of filling/sequencing each track to much, so there arent that much surprises in my patterns. Can you confirm this and give us Some tricks u used?

Errrrr.... I fill a 4-bar pattern with 16 parts that kind of work together, but not all at the same time. I then copy this to a new pattern and delete a few parts, replacing them with ones that use different sounds, effects etc. So now i have 2 seed patterns to work with. I take one of these seed patterns and copy it into 4 consecutive patterns, this will be the first 16 bars of the song. I mute the parts that won't be playing in these first 16 bars, then maybe use the part erase button at different points on the parts that are playing. Once i get these first 16 bars to roughly where i want them, i copy one of the seed patterns into the next 4 patterns and repeat the process. When the song is long enough, i go back and make a few changes to oscillators, fx, modulations etc to add a little spice and variety. The end result is 30 or so 4 bar patterns, which i play one after the other to produce the final track. And remember, motion sequencing is your friend...

Thanks for checking it out!!

Octahedron

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic apapdop!

I wish i had the skill, talent and patience to create a constantly evolving track like that, bun i'm still in the learning phase. Thanks for explaining your workflow, very helpful!
blackholesun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97sU7xzQyEE

Electribe in the woods! The fact that this thing can be battery powered is amazing.
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackholesun wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97sU7xzQyEE

Electribe in the woods! The fact that this thing can be battery powered is amazing.

Lovely as ever, the addition of the field recording was inspired. Marvellous!!

dutchcow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question

Last edited by dutchcow on Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total
blackholesun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dutchcow and apapdop.

Yeah, unfortunately pattern changing is still causing issues for me, though it's more of a case by case basis.

With this track I actually had a 2nd pattern. All the sounds/effects were the same, they were just playing different notes. When the pattern switched it was too noticeable. I don't want to say it was a gap, but it sounded jarring or sputtering. Especially the bass part. My workaround was to just copy the parts I was using to other parts and you can see me mute and unmute the first/second parts in the video, but that was also difficult and I got a bit of clicking sometimes.

Then again, I do have some patterns that go together better, though those all have beats that kind of mask synth changes going on.
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pads are a problem when changing patterns, or anything with a long sustain. My workarounds...

I fill a pattern with 16 parts. When I'm happy with it I solo part 1, write the pattern then save it to the next location. I then see what the transition is like with just part 1 playing. If it is smooth, then I solo part 2, write it, save it to the next pattern and test the transition. Repeat for all 16 parts.

If a transition is not smooth, then I have a couple of procedures. I go into sequencer mode and look at the final bar of the pattern. Can I switch off some steps right at the end of the final bar without detriment to the original sequence? Often this is enough to give a smooth(er) transition. If the part does not use the Amp Envelope, reducing the gate time of the final active step can help too.

But say a synth part that uses its Amp Envelope is causing problems. It's sounding good with a release time of 80 or so, but even switching off some of the final steps in the final bar still results in a poor transition. I use the fantastic Step Jump/Motion Sequence trick. I twirl the release knob to a value of 81. I press Step Jump and then press the first bar button. I press Play, then Record, then hit the first pad and keep it pressed. The first step of the pattern repeats. I then turn the release knob towards 80. The Record light goes out and I release the pad. I've just motion sequenced a release value of 80 onto the first step. I then go into sequencer mode, highlighting the final bar and find the step on which the very last note of the sequence starts. Say it is pad 14. I then twirl the release knob to something like 51 or 46. Back into Step Jump, hit Play, hit Record and press+hold pad 14. Turn the release knob towards 50 (or 45). A release value of 50 (or 45) has been inserted onto that very last note.

So when you play the pattern from the beginning, the release value starts at 80, but the very last note has a shorter release time. So it releases quicker, which means (all being well) it fades out naturally rather than being chopped off when the pattern changes. A bit of experimentation with that final release time is worthwhile.

It takes longer to explain than actually do and works best with shorter synth sounds.

Last edited by apapdop on Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:43 am; edited 1 time in total
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow those are great tips apapdop! I've got to experiment with these...
blackholesun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent tips! I'm going to give these a whirl tonight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 10 of 16

Jump to: