Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transposing/selecting key range of external synth via MIDI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Classic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordAirey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Transposing/selecting key range of external synth via MIDI Reply with quote

Hi,

I use my Triton in sequencer mode when playing live with a different saved setup for each song in the set. For some songs I want to use sounds from an external sound module (Roland XV5050), and whilst I've figured out how to configure the Triton to select sounds I want using MSB/LSB (selecting 'EXT2' on the channel etc), when I try transposing or setting the key range on the channel that's controlling the sound module, nothing happens.

Can anyone help me on this one? Smile
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Transposing/selecting key range of external synth via MI Reply with quote

LordAirey wrote:
Hi,

I use my Triton in sequencer mode when playing live with a different saved setup for each song in the set. For some songs I want to use sounds from an external sound module (Roland XV5050), and whilst I've figured out how to configure the Triton to select sounds I want using MSB/LSB (selecting 'EXT2' on the channel etc), when I try transposing or setting the key range on the channel that's controlling the sound module, nothing happens.

Can anyone help me on this one? Smile

You might want to try playing with the Global: MIDI: Basic: Convert Position parameter; I may be wrong, but I think this affects how the Transpose setting is used with external devices.

billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically, modules receiving MIDI data are set up to receive notes, CC messages like sustain/vibrato and maybe patch &/or bank changes.

Things like whether master clock and transpose are internal or external may need to be set up in the module's global menu (or equivalent) if it is going to accept those changes. You might well be sending the correct thing and having it filtered out.

Conversely, you might want to check the triton's MIDI (OUT) filter as well to make sure you haven't checked a box filtering out those messages from the data stream.

Key range should be set on that edit menu (#5?) for combis where you want a limit on hi/low range.

For transpose, is it a matter of +/- octave or some other interval?

Check the MIDI preferences edit menu (#3 or #4) - that's like a per-track MIDI filter - to make sure that transpose and other controls are enabled/disabled to your needs.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Classic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: